Calgary Board of Education

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brendan J. Croskery

Good and bad

ProsGood benefits, work life balance, good pay

ConsToo much management! They do not need as many managers as they do! There's so much duplication of duties and they make the big bucks. This results in a higher workload for others and not enough front line staff. They just seem really disorganized and some of the upper management is completely wrong for the job, and can be bullies. They preach about respect in the work place and other "policies" but no one enforces any of them. There's not much opportunity to move up unless you're a teacher, even if you have more of a business background.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-organize and have more of the staff you need. You do not need so many managers!

HR Department

Human Resources Support Staff (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsInteresitng work. Unique because of government funding and cycles of school year. Most employees care about helping schools.

ConsPrincipals think they are boss of HR. Timelines not understood. Upper management run by teachers who are not business oriented. Whole organization run by teachers: who should be teaching not operating a business. Organization does not provide proper tools for HR work success. Toxic department. Compensation, labour relations and staffing don't co-operate and finance have their nose in where they don't belong. Watch your back because someone you work with is the son or daughter of "the club".

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late. Culture already exists.

Public sector okay but not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood Pay
    Great Benefits
    Smart People
    Community Focused

ConsAging Staff
    Hierarchical
    No upward advancement
    Hard to retain younger staff member without the right inventives in place

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to hire younger people and incent them to stay

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

bureaucratic organization with good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and pay. Making a difference in students and families' lives.

ConsToo much politics and toxic work environment
    Bureaucracy
    Not much mobility for staff without Education degree
    Not much investment for professional and personal development for young people

Advice to Senior ManagementStop adding so many inefficient layers in the management and cutting frontline workers. What a waste of tax payers' money.

The Board doesn't do much to take care of new teachers, substitute teachers, or those who are on temporary contracts.

Teacher (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsImpact on student success, summers off, positive colleagues, rewarding work

ConsUnion politics, constant top-down directives, misaligned goals, no guarantee of work for new teachers

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim some of the fat, take a closer look at contract system (tenured teachers who drop the ball)

Good benefits/ weak leadership.

Accountant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat work life balance. Great benefits.

ConsNeeds stronger leadership. Not very dynamic work environment.

Human Resources-Highly volatile workplace with few processes in place and no communication

Human Resources/Recruiting (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros-Colleagues-most of them are all in the same boat and you meet some really great people that you keep in contact with
    -Wages are decent, although not always in line with the same positions in the rest of the market
    -A lot of positions in the rest of the institution are unionized, although not many in HR-in this copany, the job security of being unionized is very much needed
    -There are some decent career opportunities if you wind up in the right department
    -Good location

Cons-Huge turnover rate in HR-and many HR jobs not unionized
    -Very high workloads where it is impossible to finish anything
    -Very few processes-what processes they have don't work together
    -Little to no training-no training manuals for procedures
    -Management that is impossible to communicate with-they don't answer your questions in a timely fashion, and usually they are important questions and it stops you from being able to move forward
    -Extremely understaffed in HR, including recruiting, which adds to the high workload and no one seems to care about fixing it
    -They recently underwent a 4 month period where 90% of one Recruiting departments resigned, and others went on mat leave early). That's the entire turnover of a department within 4 months.
    -HR people and Recruiters getting hundreds of emails everyday (that does not include from applicants) and no way of handling the enormous workload
    -Managers in HR hard to reach with collective agreement questions, resulting in the postponement og hiring
    -Verbal abuse over telephone by principals of both high schools and elementary schools, and no one to stop it
    -They hire a lot of contract Recruiters, barely any perm-not unusual in Calgary, but rates are not competitive with the rest of the industries in Calgary and thier don't offer much else in terms of incentives to make up for it

Advice to Senior ManagementSomone at the top needs to get a grip on what is happening in HR and Recruiting. There needs to be a complete change in HR management and put people in place who are not from within the CBE system-the managers there are nice as people, but making a mess of it as managers-they do not have the people skills to handle what is going on. But a lot of that comes from higher up. Those departments need a complete overhaul-maybe going back to when it was outsourced from Telus Sourcing Solutions.
    Someone in a high position of authority needs to start talking and listening to the employees and not believing managers when they tell them everything is ok just to keep their jobs. HR is the furthest away from being "OK" that I have ever seen.

Good hours. Easy job. Behind the times in technology.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Great work atmosphere. Stable work environment.

ConsLow pay. Not a lot to do.

Great place to work with dedicated employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPeople believe in what they are doing at the CBE and take pride in ensuring that the best teachers are in place to teach our kids.

ConsLarge organization that can be slow to implement change.

So much potential. Bad employee attitude and lack of management skill

CBE IT (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe benefits
    Job security (at least it was)
    Chances to work with new technology
    Earned Days off (eight days extra)
    Staff association for protection

ConsManagement limits longer holidays b/c 'we need staff' then all of management goes on holidays!
    IT is overworked
    Unrealistic expectations (we work really hard on a project, and then anything in the future less than that is our own 'failure').
    Management spends time on non-mission critical tasks like "your computer cables look bad. Tidy them up". This is what we pay them for?
    Inconsistent management and director philosophy
    Too many committees.
    Management is disconnected from the challenges staff face
    Director/Superintendent is trying to run IT as if it were a giant school, not an IT organization.
    Supervisors are overpaid, underworked, and incompetent.
    Overspending is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with your employees. Get to understand the world from their viewpoint - listen to their problems and look for solutions. Don't focus on how our viewpoints are different than yours and how we must be 'out of line' as a result. Seems to me if we're all in agreement as workers, then it's management who has lost perspective.

Worked for Calgary Board of Education? Contribute to the Community!