Calgon Carbon

Add Photos

Calgon Carbon CEO Randall Dearth

Randall Dearth

Fustrating

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
Pitts, PA

I have been working at Calgon Carbon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood medical benefits, 401(k), and the corporate HQ has a cafeteria (if you like that kind of thing).

ConsThe company puts sales on a pedestal, and everyone else is secondary. I've never seen a place where engineering is secondary to sales. Well, CCC is it. They also don't pay very well unless you are at least in a management role.

The company culture is stuck in the 70's. Flex time? Work from home? Casual attire? Forget it. You WILL be at your desk at 0800, every day. Period. Performance bonus? Profit sharing? Overtime or straight time after 40? Pfft. Not.

Don't ask for anything out of the ordinary, because people only know how to do their single task they are assigned to do.

If you are an engineer you're better off working in the Marcellus gas industry. You will get better pay and respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that the sales staff is mostly useless and replaceable. Stop paying a salesman who does nothing 200k a year. Give the engineering staff options for bonus, profit sharing, ect.

Disingenous

Sales (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Calgon Carbon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Products, good customer base, qualified rank and file employees'
New CEO is getting good feedback so far.

ConsLong time Mid Manangement & Senior Management are disingenous. They reneg on many financial committments to employees and make sure you get any promises in writing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more sales driven and less manufacturing/logistics driven. Do a better job when looking at building regeneration plants...too many now to support.

Calgon Carbon is improving daily under new leadership.

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Calgon Carbon full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities for employee education and training are readily available.
New leadership is in command to help move the company forward and improve operations and practices.
New CEO is friendly and responsive to the needs of the company, and the employees.
Excellent education assistance programs and sick leave programs available to employees.
Great wellness program available to employees in Pittsburgh too.

ConsChanges within the organization to improve and keep it competitive are met with resistance in areas of deeply rooted cultures. The company will soon undergo an evolution in its employee base as many employees have been with the company for 20+ years or less than 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incremental rewards for those excelling throughout the year and put succession plans into place.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A turn for the worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Calgon Carbon for more than 10 years

ProsPay, long term benefits..... Really I guess I don't remember why I stayed there so long. Just hoped to get a good retirement nest egg.

ConsEvery few years the terms of employment was turning even more terrible. The good employees and managers would leave, the ones who remained where driving the competent ones to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange it up or you will drive the good workers away more.

Disappointing

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Calgon Carbon

ProsCCC has good health benefits

ConsThere are so many departments, getting things finished is almost impossible. There is always department finger pointing.

Calgon Carbon Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Calgon Carbon

ProsEmployees below the middle management level are competent and work hard.

ConsManagement is the "good ole boy"network and very little information is shared with the employess.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the blinders off and realize that the employees below the management level are the real valuable employees and are the ones that are doing the work.

Worked for Calgon Carbon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Calgon Carbon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Calgon Carbon CEO Randall Dearth. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Calgon Carbon employees.