Calico Corners

www.calicocorners.com

Calico Corners Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Calico Corners – Indianapolis – “Preparing for a sale”

Bert G Kerstetter

Pros
  • Employee discount - available after 90 days(in 9 reviews)

• Beautiful fabrics and finished products, good employee discounts, great coworkers, close to home(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also little pay raise, or no pay raise for part-time employees(in 4 reviews)

• All new sales associates enticed with FT hours(in 3 reviews)

People in the store great. Big shots out of the store need to come down to see how it really works on the floor

Labor Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsLove the environment . Love my boss. Hours are very flexible and family comes first

ConsIt seems that corporate mandates come down weekly that make absolutely no sense. It is hard to stay motivated when you are told you are an asset to the company but then you can't get compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please talk to the sales force and use some of the ideas. They are great ,

Not a good place to work if you want to grow professionally

ProsFlexibility
    Creativity
    Client contacts
    Workroom contacts
    This a fun place because of the atmosphere and co workers

ConsPay, Promotion,Management,Benefits,Arrogance, poor training
    No understanding that this is a unique job with certain skills,
    Do not want to pay for skills, Does not work with employees to truly know customers needs and wants........upper Management is totally clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease promote smart people that are already working within your company. Need to be a more cohesive unit

Love the Job

Design Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe job is great. Hours are flexible. The least busy retail time is when you really want time off to be with family so it is great for the working mother.

ConsThey need better market branding and design ideas, from the logo and company colors right down to store design and selection. They need a marketing firm in the worst way.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales associates Corporate. The District Managers are keeping great information to themselves!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too structured of a position for a creative design personality.

In Home Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe actual job of going to client's homes to help them pick out textiles and treatments is a lot of fun, and the calico corner customer for the most part are wonderful to work with.

ConsI have worked in the design industry for several years and this job takes out all the fun of a creative position. It is very rigid and structured. Also you had to do all your design work, estimates and orders while also assisting client's on the sales floor. Made it impossible to get work done in a timely manner and without interruptions -I made silly mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your designers time off the sales floor to work on their estimates and quotes. Also, do not micro manage them so much. Designers need a little bit of flexibility and freedom (as far as how long an appointment should take or whether you can go to a client's house twice) that's why we went into this field to begin with. And we want to make the sale, so if we think it may take two visits to go to the client's home, let us take two visits, in other words trust our decision making ability.

Positive until cutbacks occurred. Less communication and support from DM.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsQuailty custom made prducts, creative environment, professional image, good training tools, good hours for a retail business, ability to learn many aspects of a custom design business.

ConsBecoming too structured. Less communication in recent years within region/districts. Felt isolated and unsupported. Decisions made without complete information from store managers. Sense that everyone is under a lot of pressure.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinstate district meetings to improve communication and engourage comradery. DM's are gven carte blanche, no questions asked.

Great time at Calico

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility, Fun atmosphere, Good company to work for.

ConsAt my particular store, there was not much room to go up in the company.
    But it is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoved my manager. One of the best I've ever had

A mixed bag of good days and days to be apprehensive if store goals are not being met.

ProsGreat employee discounts up to 50 percent on some items, beautiful fabrics and talented workrooms

ConsLow wages when you take into account the number of non-paid hours needed to work in order to get everything done. Very expensive employee insurance. Company is struggling due to the economic times and cuts are being made to try and keep stores open.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management seems to be out of touch with the reality of the workplace. Not everything can get done including the cleaning of the store at the end of the day and still clock out at 5 to keep store hours down. Unfortunately the good people end up leaving and the people that stay are not really helping. Possibly B. Kerstetter needs to get back into the game fulll time for a little while & see what has been happening.

overworked underpaid Lucky to have job additude

Custom Labor Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at Calico Corners has be great for meeting some wonderful people. And being around beautiful fabrics and great decorating ideas for people.

ConsAs many places they have had cut backs less hours took away staff needed by back rooms. I now do all shipping and receiving paybills, customer service,deal with sales staff that does not give realistic timelines just to get a sale that ends up in my lap that becomes a nightmare. They were paying 10.to 11 dollars an hour for the stock person. Also they no longer contribute to 401ks, they have changed our health insurance and cut hours of employees who now do not have health insurance so they go to find an other job.this is what companies do now not to pay unemployment. I now do the same job I was hired , sales floor, shipping receiving and have gotton 50 cents in compensation in 2 years.I feel they thought I would quit due to my age.Also know that companies know there really are no jobs out there and everyone needs two incomes today. I work 7.5 hours by myself shipping,swacthing orders dealing with workroom vendors customers looking for orders not due in yet to step out on sales floor to find them sitting in the display sofas and chairs talking and reading books that came in the mail they wonder why I look pissed? and the sales staff will empty there barrel to leave at the back door so on mondays I can put it in dumpster. I have to find out who made me the cleaning service aswell.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want all stores to be selling and doing the same you need to inforce it you are losing money on out of box ideas.

Job was fun, but pay was poor.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the customers, and putting their rooms together was enjoyable. Benefit package for full time was good, but they mostly have part time now.

ConsDistrict Manager is a mini Hitler, totally out of touch with what was happening in the store, but tries her best to micromanage by threats and intimidation. Pay is low, but upper management dangles the carrot so everyone breaks their neck to reach goals which are just out of reach. In home consultants really lose, they have unrealistic goals, low base pay, and are not reimbursed for their car expenses except a fraction on gas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerminate and replace all district managers, they are the ones who are overpaid and their attitude of intimidation is helping to destroy what was a great company.

Sales associate at Calico

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to work if you like working with fabrics, and designing window treatments, bedding, etc. Open hours are generally 10 - 5, so very family friendly.

ConsBiggest downside is low pay, hard to live on a Calico wage, but makes for a good, flexible part-time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to close unprofitable stores, so they can put more resources into stores that are profitable, and restructure compensation.

Worked for Calico Corners? Contribute to the Community!