Calico Corners Reviews

Best Retail Job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Calico Corners

Pros

Great hours for retail - 10 to 5 and closed on Sunday
    Closed Christmas Eve too allows family time
    Great scheduling no "On Call" hours like other retailers
    Pay is better than other retailers
    great environment - not the same job every day
    this is retail - it is a shame not every one realizes it because the hours are awesome!

Cons

Personality conflicts/pettiness among the staff
    Light traffic makes days pass slowly
    Customers complain about the price but do not understand quality - if you want cheap go to JoAnn Fabrics!

Market better - email with special promos to get people in the door
    We are always on sale, which makes it difficult to close sales.
    Corporate office staff and management teams are on different wavelengths.
    We need to get people in the door and that should be our main priority

Interesting and generally pleasant, but most employees are grossly underpaid for the amount of work and responsibility.

Current Employee - Labor Coordinator in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Labor Coordinator in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Calico Corners

Pros

Lovely surroundings for those interested in home decor with generous employee discount. The atmosphere is somewhat casual and management is usually willing accommodate unexpected scheduling needs.

Cons

The work of creating custom decorating products is extremely detailed and errors can be very costly for the company/store. The low rates of pay do not fairly compensate for the amount of knowledge, work and responsibily required of sales associates and labor coordinators.

Stop underestimating the value of input from employees who work on the "front line". Experienced sales associates and labor coordinators have real life knowledge of their store's market and demographics. Require more professionalism from store managers and district managers. Make wages commensurate with the amount of responsibility expected of employees.

The company that killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Calico Corners

Pros

Customers are wonderful and fun to work with, co-workers and store management are great. Employee discount was great, is still o.k. Great outlet for creative minds.

Cons

Bert Kerstetter made that company successful. He believed in rewarding the employees and listening to what they had to say. When he left the man who took his place and his "team" ruined the company. The owners are struggling to keep it afloat, but they lost the company identity along the way, and that is what made them a unique company that was great to work for.

Get rid of the rest of Stuarts team, i.e. district managers who's threatening tactics create a non-productive work environment. Try to find a way to re-establish what the company was founded on. Of course Stuart and team let go all of us who remembered the way it was because it threatened their "new" concept.

Managment for the western states is a nightmare.

Current Employee - In -Home Designer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - In -Home Designer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Calico Corners

Pros

The Customers made this job bearable.

Cons

Store Managment, and senior managment are a nightmare. The use fear,and talk to the employees with no respect. They wont listen to the sales team at all. This company is headed downhill fast! Do yourself a favor and dont waste your time working for them.

Get rid of the western senior managment before its to late. Let the employees who actually work in the store do thier own managment review. Treat your employee better so you wont have such a high turn over.

Calico Corners - Unique Business

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Calico Corners part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, good hours for retail.
    Enjoyed co-workers and the customers

Cons

Very aggressive sales quotas for part time work.
    More skill required than reflected in pay.

Go back to the core business of selling fabric and associated products. Get out of the furniture business.

This place sucks the life out of it's employees

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Calico Corners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great products and a good employee discount

Cons

Upper management at the home office is only concerned with their own personal interests and could honestly care less about those in the stores...those who work long hours for very little thanks or recognition (or pay!!). Most of the HO crew are talentless relics who justify their existence at the company by scheduling meetings. And the Regional Managers? What a JOKE!! The whole team is tired and outdated, but doesn't value new thought or opinion.

I wish someone would buy this company and clean house/clear out the management garbage currently there or nothing will change and this company WILL go under.

Stressful Environment

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Calico Corners part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful fabrics and nice store. Hours beat mall hours and clients are for the most part fun to work with.

Cons

SPH is a joke. Employees take others sales to boost theirs and manager does nothing-a sale is a sale! The goals are set so high it is impossile to get the pittance of a bonus. No raises in years. The company does not appreciate it's employees and just demands more without giving anything in return. Any suggestions fall of deaf ears. Shaking the ink cartridge over and over to save a dollar-really!!

Listen to sale associates. When we are told to sell more furniture and we ask when we will get new furniture booklets for customers(old have been gone for over a year) we are told they are so expensive! Please give us the tools we need to be successful. We can't sell if we don't get support!

Love the hours...

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Calico Corners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the hours. This is the only place in retail where you get to work banker's hours.

Cons

We seem to be stuck in a rut. We are desperately in need of technology upgrades and the lack of pay increases combined with increases in the cost of diminishing benefits is becoming insulting.

Please listen to the people in the trenches. Update the computer systems. Look into the cost of training a new person versus the expense of compensating your current ones.

This company needs help!

I worked at Calico Corners full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are just starting out in the business - a fun job if you don't need the money. The training program is extensive and very helpful for a beginner.

Cons

This company is stuck in the 80's, technology wise and salary wise. Seasoned designers want to get paid for their experience, not reprimanded for working too many hours! Compensation is very unrealistic.

Upper management and vendors need to visit the stores and listen to the employees. A full company restructure is needed!

A once great place to work, has fallen victim to the new "Corporate Paradigm" that sees employees as tools.

I have been working at Calico Corners

Pros

Beautiful stores, generally good resources to do interior design work, and a loyal customer base. There is a real sense of "family" among the employees.

Cons

Management - Senior, District, and often Store managers - are sometimes openly contemptuous of store staff and vendors which leads to the loss of some of the best workers and to poor moral in general. And this in turn loses customers.

I think management needs to remember what made Calico Corners the success it was in the beginning. When the stores were locally owned and operated franchises there was a real sense of personal pride evident in every store because the owners knew the fabric and decorating business and truly appreciated the people that worked for them. They need to drop the "corporate profit is all" mentality get their "soul" back.

Calico Corners Photos