California Academy of Sciences Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.2
Jonathan Foley

1. I had a wonderful experience working here.

Current Employee - Guest Services Host
    Current Employee - Guest Services Host

I have been working at California Academy of Sciences part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They work with your school schedule if you are a student. Managers are also very understanding. The job itself is very simple. Get along with people and communicate well with management and guests alike.

Cons

Time off policies are very straight forward however, because the majority of employees are students it is difficult to get time off during holidays because everyone wants it off as well.

Advice to Management

Although some managers have a specific focus I feel that there should be more communication between each other in order for everyone to see the full picture and also know what is going on in all areas.

2. Guest Services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Academy of Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peers within dept were amazing. Great place to be if you're interested in science, animals, history. You learn about the exhibits (informative). Must have patience. Responsibilities are super manageable. Fun place to work.

Cons

I started there when they first reopened back in 2008. Management slacked. Played favorites when it came to upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Company events for everyone to attend and not work the event (they have in-house event, but not everyone could attend since some HAD to work the event)

3. Design

Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Academy of Sciences

Pros

- Great, very talented team - Amazing environment to work in - Varied work and challenges

Cons

- Some level of frustration amongst staff - Relatively low pay, but, to be expected. On the upside, the folks that work there are passionate about what they do, not seeking a paycheck

5. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Academy of Sciences (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, fun atmosphere, free coffee!

Cons

tiring to work with customers

6. Great Company

I have been working at California Academy of Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its a fun place to work. There are many fun events weekly and the exhibits are always exciting to see. Everyone seems upbeat and energetic which keeps morale high among coworkers. There are also some science researchers whom get noticed in top science magazines and periodicals. This helps keep donations and funding coming in on a regular basis aside from general ticket sales to the public. Upper management are fair and takes notice of individual productive job performance. There is a yearly award ceremony where top employees who go above and beyond get awards and perks. Celebrities attend some of the events and the yearly GALA that the employees are welcome to attend is a bang!!!

Cons

If your goal is to move up into a supervisory or management position, the process can take a while due to low turnover in these positions. I've noticed friends getting hired instead of the most qualified for certain positions. In one department, several fraternity members were giving jobs based on fraternity affiliation.

Advice to Management

Be fair when considering others that are qualified for positions. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

7. Exciting Mission and Staff Development

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-A chance to be a part of an important mission -Good pay and benefits for a NP -Good training and development -Transparency -New ED is bringing good ideas

Cons

-Sometimes lack of direction and focus on strategic planning

Advice to Management

Your staff are your biggest asset

8. Fantastic

I worked at California Academy of Sciences full-time

Pros

The Academy pursues a fantastic mission and attracts some great talent. The company provides many resources to make employees successful.

Cons

Hard to see opportunity for advancement at times.

I grew up with the CAS, worked there, visited regularly, and LOVED it!

Former Employee - Entomology Assistant 1960? in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Entomology Assistant 1960? in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Academy of Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is incredibly informative, and anyone interested in science should spend as much time at CAS as possible!

Cons

maybe, parking?? I do not know because it was a very long time ago that I worked there.

Advice to Management

Just keep adding new projects, as you are.

10. Great benefits, decent salary, too much politics

Current Employee - Control Room Operator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Control Room Operator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The benefits and environment are great. People are very nice and friendly. Very fun place to work.

Cons

Salary is sup-par and there's a lot of politics going on all the time. There's a lot of dealing with the public too and that can be tiresome.

Advice to Management

Listen to the lower levels of employees. They know how the day-to-day business works and how the public responds to exhibits and events.

11. Fun, laid back, sciency!

Current Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The guest experience team at CAS were amazing. We were like a tight family and that was what made my time there amazing. Great people. The tasks were routine and boring sometimes but other times fun and interesting. Rotation kept things fresh. Working around SCIENCE is always awesome. I got to learn a lot of cool new things.

Cons

Task can get repetitive and routine sometimes. Not that many benefits. Compensation wasn't great as well.

RSS Feed </> Embed