California Casualty Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
48 reviews filtered by
4.2
Carl (Beau) Brown

1. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful company that is dedicated to its customers, employees, and bottom line (in that order). The most important aspect of business at CalCas is to treat the customer (insured) with honesty and respect. Employees are treated like family at California Casualty. An employees' safety is paramount. California Casualty knows and lives the philosophy, "if you take care of others, they will in return, take care of you". It is one thing to hear a company "talk" about putting customers and employees first; it is another thing to experience the words put into action. Existing employees are excited to welcome new hires and offer help at every turn. The work environment feels inclusive and optimistic. I can't say enough great things about California Casualty!

Cons

Honestly, none that I can think of.......I've been working here about 5 months so far.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job.

2. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership and training with this company are unlike any other I have worked for. The management team is absolutely fantastic and work with they work with your personal schedule and professional schedule. The CEO of the company not only comes to say hi but knows us all by first name, a true family owned business that employees have pride in.

Cons

Some late nights and weekends, but that's where the potential for money is!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I have never been happier wiht a job.

Mar 30, 2015Executive Vice President Sales, Marketing & Service

Thanks for sharing this great feedback! We couldn’t be happier to hear that you enjoy our work environment and culture. It is always our goal to ensure that our highly valued employees like ... More

3. fast pace

I have been working at California Casualty

Pros

the people working there are very nice, no negativity

Cons

they give you no time to complete your work

Advice to Management

give employees sufficient time to do their work.

Mar 25, 2015Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Our atmosphere of positivity is critical to our success and we are happy to hear that you experienced that! We understand that things can move at a fast pace ... More

This used to be a great company, but management has really caused micromanaging to overdue common sense.

Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at California Casualty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This used to be a great company that cared about its employees.

Cons

The new trend to not just manage risk but to attempt risk elimination. That has caused managers to run over good employees and overlook any job performance that does not exactly align with the idealistic expectations thar come out of their endless meetings. Making your goals, having your customers love you and trust you is not enough to save your job if you don't look like management and if you are not a part of their close minded culture.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with reality. You have gone so far into your own culture that you are no longer able to relate to the real people that are your employees.

Mar 11, 2015Vice President, Sales Manager

Thank you for your input and your service. We do have high expectations of our Sales Representatives to practice and apply our company policies, as well as adhering to industry standards and ... More

6. Claims Adjuster

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a small atmosphere so not like a busy call center. You have time to work your claims. Unlike other companies, the call volumes and the workload is manageable. Even with their change to an all day queue system, I actually can't wait to be able to make my calls and do my work when I need to! There's other opportunities to grow as a claims adjuster here since you handle auto, injury and property claims. The variety makes the day go by fast. I actually have a great manager who knows her stuff. The other employees have been here a long time, so they've done their time and they have awesome experiences and knowledge. Sure, I've heard them talk about me, too, but once I've mastered their systems and handled the claims in a consistent way, I'm sure that will stop. Don't let it get to you. It's just a job and there's plenty of work to focus on. Time off is hard to get when competing with high seniority, but that comes with any company that someone is new to. Some of the employees have their kids stay with them at their desk, so this is a company that understands when parents are in a bind with daycare, etc. ~ you don't find that at other companies! The customers can be difficult, but this is an industry where people are upset and not always happy with your decision. As for the older customers, I find them a delight to talk with and they are the first ones to make me feel good about what I do for them. Also, the pay is great! Maybe not the benefits, but then, in today's work environment, what company is delivering awesome benefits anymore? This is a great change for someone who has done claims at other companies. You can bring your experience and build on it, once you get past their systems. If you're new, I would think this is a great place to learn, too. Every new adjuster struggled and felt overwhelmed their first 2 years. If you can get past that and focus on the work, you'll actually find some enjoyment in it.

Cons

Systems are outdated and hard to maneuver through. My only concern is it affects my body. Lots of repeat steps to accomplish something and it's taking its toll on the hands and arms. It's a small company so they don't have the means to improve their systems right now, but it does sound like an excuse when they say that every time. As employees, we don't like excuses any more than leaders like to hear them from their workers. At least acknowledge it and get a plan in place to work on or solve the problem in the future (even if it is a 2-5 year plan). Otherwise, you (the leaders) run the risk of being considered "part of the problem". I do miss having a company that supports getting your AIC or CPCU or SCLA. Wish there was some sort of incentive to pursue this, even if it was "performance based". Just like seniority earns you the pick of time off, I wish my performance would allow me the "pick" of classes the company would sponsor.

Advice to Management

Just a plan for improving the systems.

Jan 21, 2015Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate the contributions that you make on behalf of our Company as a Claims Adjuster. It is employees like you, that are focused on doing the right thing for our customers, that makes us ... More

Proven to not be your typical call center - time and time again!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is a hot topic now amongst the workforce. This is just one of the advantages of working for Cal Cas. The work week is 37.5 hours and we are closed most major Holidays. There are lots of tenured employees; the average tenure of a customer service representative is a little over 15 years. To some, this may be seen as a limit of growth opportunity. However, as long as you have a solid development plan in place and a good foundation; when an opportunity becomes available you can secure it as long as you don't let it pass you by. There is truly a family atmosphere amongst everyone; we all care for one another on a professional and personal level! Our customer base is also one built amongst professionals so that leads to a better customer experience for all!

If you are looking for a positive, significant & rewarding change in your career life - then check out Cal Cas! This will be the best decision of your professional path and growth!

Cons

I do not have any!

Advice to Management

Let's open an office on the East Coast!!!

Oct 29, 2014Executive Vice President Sales, Marketing & Service

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a complimentary review of California Casualty! We appreciate you and value our employees as much as our customers, so it’s nice to hear that you ... More

8. Good Company to work for

I worked at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Benefits, Management is fair. Allows you to work autonomously.

Cons

Cannot think outside the box. Goals can sometimes be unattainable.

Nov 13, 2014Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate your comments to recognize the benefits that we offer in our organization. This is an area that we see as important to remain competitive and meet our employees’ needs. Your comment ... More

Great place with great people.

Former Employee - MDA in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - MDA in Riverside, CA

I worked at California Casualty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy work environment. I worked out of my home. Once your hired they put a lot of faith and trust in you to manage yourself. As long as the work gets done they leave you alone.

Cons

Starting salary was on the low side. The benefits were ok. They made me buy my own cell phone. But really not a lot of bad things to say.

Nov 5, 2014Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. California Casualty strives to place trust and confidence in all employees to work independently, whether they are located in the field or in one of our ... More

Amazing company!

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked for a company where the CEO walks around and speaks to EVERY employee and remembers them by name! My direct manager coaches me daily and is always full of positive feedback. The atmosphere is so warm and it's as if we are all a family! This is a job I wish I would of landed years ago!!!

Cons

I honestly have no cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Everyone learns at different levels and keep that in mind when you are coaching.
    Thank you!

Sep 30, 2014Assistant Vice President, Staffing Manager

Thank you for the kind words. As a family-owned company with a rich and long history of world-class customer service, we realize it’s our people who make the difference. Our employees are at the ... More

Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, Arizona

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get time off the phones to work your files, but even that is ending on December 1, 2014, so I can't think of anything that is actually better than the other companies I've ever worked for. Not even the people - they are cliquish and talk badly about new employees, instead of trying to help them. THEY control the show here at this company.

Cons

The #1 worst thing about this company is the systems. For those of us that still have 20-40 years in the working world, it is like stepping back in time by 20 years! Their systems are SO out of date that it's unreal. It's actually very difficult to work here because of it. Also, it says something about their processes, too. What gets done with one click at another company, takes 3-4 bad systems to maneuver through here.

Also, their customers are horrible to deal with! They complain about everything and I don't blame them. This company isn't even up to date on the insurance products that other companies have been offering for years, like rental coverage that actually COVERS today's rental rates and accident forgiveness. You won't see that here.

The other disappointing factor is the people you work with that have 20-35 years and are a "clique". Managers do not know how to "manage" today's workers - they are still stuck in the 80's! All they need is a good lawsuit to teach them that time has actually been better for the employee and they need to be careful how they treat them. There is a serious seniority gap between those that are new and those that don't have the skills or the ability to be able to leave this company, ie: the managers and their senior employees. And to this point, good luck getting any time off when you are competing with such high seniority. Now I see why there are not a whole lot of people here between the 4-20 year gap - they've all quit! And, I don't know of any other company that does their vacation bidding for the next 6 months; everywhere else I've worked, you bid for the next year, not the next 6 months. We can't even bid for holidays next year because this company doesn't open up their calendars.

The benefits are truly the worst I've ever had in my entire life! Had I known - truly known - how bad it was, I would have never accepted the job at this company! They don't even encourage you to take insurance courses and we had to pay to get our own licenses! The training was absolutely horrible - if you come from another company and did this job before, you will be fine and actually know more about the job than the trainer, who would rather be a fashion designer, I think. But if you're like me and never did insurance before, it is so difficult, especially when the managers disappear for "hours" for their "lunch" or "pedicures", so don't expect any help there.

I don't know how much longer this company can be in business. It seems most of their customers are pushing 100 years old and they pay an arm and a leg for insurance that doesn't cover them like other companies. You don't see a push for new customers and since the company doesn't put any money into their employees, systems, or training, it just seems like this "family owned business" is going to go the way of the world and die a slow death. As for me, I don't plan on being here much longer and if you are wanting to work in a REAL claims environment where things work, go anywhere else but here!

Advice to Management

Nothing - they're all know-it-all's who have no concept of working outside this company and, therefore, they don't know what the "real world" is like anymore.

Nov 12, 2014Vice President - Employee Relations

While we have many satisfied employees, we recognize that our work environment and company culture are not for everyone. Our Claims department uses a claims system that is acknowledged worldwide as ... More

California Casualty Photos