California Chamber of Commerce

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
2.8

CEO

Management is somewhat inconsistent but there is alway an opportunity to do something new.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Chamber of Commerce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff is great. Lots of employees who have been with the organization for a very long time makes for a family like atmosphere among. Lots of chances to do different things and to diversify your time while acquiring different skills.

Cons

Office politics have made it to where decision are being made based on popularity, instead of whats best for the company. While I enjoyed a varied work environment, the expectations to be able to handle multiple job tasks is sometimes overwhelming.

Due to pending retirements and the loss of key management team members the majority of your staff feels unsettled and anxious. Look to identify future leadership to create stability for the staff and to ensure future success.

Company doesn't keep older employees.

Former Employee - Retention Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Retention Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Chamber of Commerce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management promotes an ethical atmosphere and provides customers good service. Many employees have had long-term jobs in the organization.

Cons

Recently, older employees have found they have been fired for the smallest of infractions. This allows the organization to cut employee overhead. The firm is essentially run by two individuals who are the President (who makes over $1 million dollars in a non-profit company) and a VP of Finance who is not really familiar with how things are done. Company profits soar with the sale of taxable products, compared to the ability to raise money as a business lobbying organization. Employees face poor training, fluctuating income, and no chance of promotion. This company makes millions off small businesses, while representing the interests of large businesses.

The Chamber operates without systems and training that employees can use to excel in their jobs. Management is not liked on all levels of the Chamber. Management thinks employees owe their life to they should be grateful they have a job. For an organization that specializes in advising other businesses in labor law, this organization violates wage and hours laws regularly, firing of older employees replacing them with younger employees at less money, as well as other violations to numerous to mention. Look into your own business, find what you are violating, and then start equipping employees with more-efficient computer systems.

Great People & Working Environment

I worked at California Chamber of Commerce

Pros

- Coworkers were all nice and friendly to work with.
    - Relaxed dress attire
    - Minimal deadlines and not a lot of stress

Cons

- No room for growth
    - Organizational and reporting structure doesn't make sense

CalChamber: Just an OKAY place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Chamber of Commerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are generally respectful toward others. Pay is reasonable but could be better..

Cons

There's not a lot of communication about expectations, etc. The working environment can be dismal and there is a sense that one is always under scrutiny. There's not a great deal of flexibility, and there are politics and office landmines one has to navigate around. All in all, I would not accept another position with this company given its present management short of being desperate. The benefits here are just passable. HR is kind of scary, and while all HR is pro-management, it is extremely obvious with this company's HR, to the point that I would never have felt comfortable bringing anything even legally protected to HR...and the company does everything it can to toe the line on employee rights (making it difficult to take FMLA leave, etc.); departments work in silos, and be careful about expressing opinions or offering information in meetings. Lots of politics to be aware of and navigate.

Be a bit kinder to your employees. Improve openness and transparency, and make the working environment more pleasant and foster a greater sense of community. Make sure HR projects a better image as a resource for managers and employees alike.

Intern

I worked at California Chamber of Commerce

Pros

Great place to get real experience. Supportive management. All in all a really good internship, I would recommend it to other people.

Cons

I can't think of any. It was a very respectful, consistent environment -- no cons stick out in my head. Nothing negative to say.

Small office environment.

Current Employee - Staff in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at California Chamber of Commerce

Pros

Love getting to know the business community. I know where all the best places in town are. I know who does things to help the community and how well they treat their employees. And I get inside discounts! I feel well-connected.

Cons

It's a non-profit with non-profit salaries. It's not management's fault, it's just what happens when you work at a poor little non=profit. There isn't much room for advancement or higher income. Everyone knows me when i go places in the community so i have to be on my best-behavior...

They can't do anything to change the system, that's just what happens when you work at a place like this. It's small and has a low budget. We've even been know to share our staplers and scissors because we don't all have them at our desk. There are only 4 of us in the office.

This is not a positive place to work. Management is confused about goals and does not support employees.

I have been working at California Chamber of Commerce

Pros

the benefits are good and the employees are nice

Cons

employees are not given positive direction or encouraged. management does not know how to lead or motivate employees. The goals are not clear and employees are not provided with feedback.

get clarity about your strategy and communicate the strategy to the employees. Try to provide positive as well as negative feedback.