California College of the Arts Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
3.8
California College of the Arts President Stephen Beal
Stephen Beal

1. Great jobs for work study students... if you can get in the system.

Current Contractor - Work Study in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Work Study in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The work study jobs pay well with raises, are willing to work with your class schedule, and a great opportunity to work alongside your teachers.

Cons

It can take awhile to even get a job through the system, the positions often just rehiring the same students instead of giving open hours to new trainee's who need the money.

Advice to Management

Monitor the amount of rehires/distributed hours each semester so new hires can have the same opportunities to get in the system.

2. Counselor

I worked at California College of the Arts

Pros

People, students, atmosphere etc etc

Cons

Pay, supervisors, growth opportunities. etc etc

3. Mixed bag

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're an artist, this can give you a steady job that is close to the arts community. Many of the employees (regardless of department) are working artists after hours. You also get half tuition remission for you or your spouse... and if you've been there long enough, you get full tuition remission. HR is pretty good about pre-tax flexible spending and commuter reimbursement. Staff also get between Christmas and New Year's off without having to use vacation days.

Cons

Some of the managers are toxic or micro managers. The pay is extremely low. Extremely, extremely low.

Advice to Management

You can still pay under market rate even if you pay your employees a little bit more.

Great Co-workers. Terrible pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California College of the Arts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people who have been working here for a long time are some of the nicest and helpful people I have met. They are the ones that create a great workplace culture here.

They did offer some good opportunities for career skills. One of the only perks was they offered to pay for some training courses for me.

Cons

- Terrible pay compared to comparable jobs in the area. Like.. not even close.
    - Not much as far as "perks".
    - My job required more work than was possible for 1 person.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and stop wasting money on other projects around the facility.

6. Learning process.

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, manageable equipment, constantly learning on the job, work consists of tasks relating to major, wonderful Oakland campus scenery.

Cons

Upper management unaware of what's happening in their departments. Please love all your departments, not which is making money or graduating the most from.

Advice to Management

Please, PLEASE, have a board meeting with all your employees and listen to THEM. Let everyone have equal ground. Artists and designers' egos are ridiculous so be the voice of reason and compromise positively.

Staff Position

Current Employee - Staff Position in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Position in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- flexible hours
    - good PTO time and other benefits
    - tuition remission
    - the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you are working for an arts institution (even if you can't afford to live in the Bay Area while doing so)

Cons

- extremely low, embarrassingly low salary ("for the greater good of higher education!"). Just google the president's salary and you can see he is making half a million dollars while you make next to nothing for your very specialized skills.
    - Super political, all about the system. People are very focused on the org chart.
    - Lots of people have been working there for 15-20 years and prefer to "do things as they always have done." Just waiting for their retirement.
    - Projects take very long to come into fruition, slowly goes from enthusiasm to banging your head against a bureaucratic wall.
    - Lots of people wanting to sit around rooms talking about big ideas, but only one person is doing the grunt work and getting the job done.
    - Some offices are extremely understaffed, resulting in people doing the work of 3 people. Other offices have new people all the time, and you have no idea what everyone in the offices could possibly be doing all day.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many VPs and Higher ups. You need people at all levels to finish the tasks at hand.

work study... Media Tech/ Librarian

Current Employee - Media Tech Librarian in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Media Tech Librarian in Oakland, CA

Pros

great school kinda expensive. These are strictly work study jobs I had when I was a student. It was a good experience but work study jobs are regulated by grant money so making more as a student wouldn't have been possible. Maggie was my boss as a media tech and she was awesome. When I worked in the library Donald was the main main, he was very diligent about the collection and receptive to input I miss them both.

Cons

low pay for a student job but not sure there was any option for more

Advice to Management

not much, they were always willing to listen

9. Innovative, agile, and exciting environment

I have been working at California College of the Arts

Pros

It's a very dynamic and changing institution, community oriented, that supports innovation. Very unusual for an established institution.

Cons

There is a good side and also a challenging side to change, sometimes the constant change can wear you down.

10. It is a great working opportunity!!

Current Employee - Graphic Design Work Study in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Work Study in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California College of the Arts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work under program managers, which is good for first hand informations. Working time is very flexible depending on my schedule. I learnt a lot more about studio equipments, space usage, and time planning. Since each major has a different time schedule (on syllabus), it is good to learn how the school functions and holds events. It could be useful when it comes to one's thesis or final critiques.

Cons

Since the program managers help out at each other's events, it's going to be crazy on the D-day because I might hear different orders. One thing I learn from working here is I have to ASK. Always ASK before action.

Advice to Management

Compensation depends on who and what are you working on. If you're working on reception, it's going to be a fixed price. On the other hand, if you're working for a event/show curators, it's usually going to be an hour rate. So plan ahead!

11. Work Study-Enrollment Office

Former Contractor - Work-Study Administrative Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Work-Study Administrative Assistant in Oakland, CA

I worked at California College of the Arts as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I did my work study with the Enrollment Office for 2ish years and it was great! They scheduled your hours around your classes. I got to learn a lot about the school through the office. Met interesting people giving tours of the campus.

Cons

Nothing! Unless you included annoying parents, haha.

California College of the Arts Photos