California Conservation Corps

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

David Muraki

I loved my job as a Recruiter!

Former Employee - Staff Services Analyst/Recruiter in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Services Analyst/Recruiter in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not being behind a desk every waking moment was a huge plus. My boss was out of Sacramento and communicated daily in a way that I never felt secluded or alone. He was probably the best Manager I have ever dealt with because he was honest, forthcoming, and I never felt as if I was criticized, only mentored.

Cons

A new Manager took over with a completely different management style. Every thing changed so fast and had to be HIS way. I was constantly barraged with emails regarding how poorly he felt of my worth to the organization. He was completely unprofessional and I left the position as soon as I could. Human Resources could not believe the treatment he was giving to every Recruiter within the State CCC program.

Just because a person is qualified for a position does not mean that they are a good fit. Looking for feedback and taking current employee feedback into consideration determines the attitude of the entire organization. Transition Management plans instead of instantly changing every policy in place by an old manager, that has a proven track record, can make a huge difference on employee retention.

Alright place for a first job if you're putting off college.

Former Employee - SRP Specialist in Ukiah, CA
    Former Employee - SRP Specialist in Ukiah, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience cool new places. Meet people everyday. Traveling is half the work. Easy money.. if you like making 64 bucks a day for manual labor.

Cons

Living quarters are really uncomfortable, and if you eat on center they try to make the cheapest thing possible everyday.Sometimes idiots are your supervisors and managers, but that's everywhere in life. Work is very boring and uninteresting. Only career path is for those interested in CalTrans & US Forestry. Some people make the program a joke, and just wanna have fun all day - Stay away from them.

Pay closer attention to the people you give power to.

The best place to offer career development

Current Employee - AGPA
    Current Employee - AGPA

I have been working at California Conservation Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The focus is all about career development. It is okay to make mistakes here, however, you will be held accountable for your work.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy due to working for the State

Try not to always hire or promote from within. The tests/interviews are geared toward those who already work within the CCC system.

this is a great job

Former Employee - Special Corpsmember in Greenwood, CA
    Former Employee - Special Corpsmember in Greenwood, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

very fun lots of travle and you get to meet tons of people

Cons

it for ages 18-24 and it a one year program

extend the contract and the age limitations

Like a well oiled machine.

Former Employee - Corpsmember in Imperial, CA
    Former Employee - Corpsmember in Imperial, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for the State of California has it's benefits. Being trained in HAZWOPER and HAZMAT while aiding firefighters with brush fires and learning new skills in the field.

Cons

Living quarters was lumped together in a former mental facility with only bathroom privacy. Emergency Corpsmember Leaders were immovable and unforgiving.

Best way to Help Our Enviroment and the Community for Our Childrens Legacy

Current Employee - Special Corpsmember in Leggett, CA
    Current Employee - Special Corpsmember in Leggett, CA

I have been working at California Conservation Corps

Pros

Restoring the Land to Gods Creation, and Helping the Community in which We Live... Building Our Young, to enhance Self Esteem, creating hard working productive young men and women to be Compassionate about the World in which we live

Cons

Hard Work Low Pay Miserable conditions, more resources needed for members to acheive goals in a timely manner would benefit the crews and centers infield...

Help out the smaller centers by flooding with crew members to help one another develope and acheive goals...

It was a tough, but exciting opportunity to earn pay and work with others.

Former Employee - Special Corpsmember in Ukiah, CA
    Former Employee - Special Corpsmember in Ukiah, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps

Pros

Working in creeks hauling logs, working on the side of the freeways improving the look of the State of California.

Cons

Stiff penalties for poor performance or behavior, very much like working in the military. Heavy discipline, some differences in opinions, rooming with unsavory characters.

Allow for some rudimentary changes, don't let politics and red-tape damage the hard efforts by Corpsmembers

Military, without the military.

Current Employee - Leadership Trainer in Auburn, CA
    Current Employee - Leadership Trainer in Auburn, CA

I have been working at California Conservation Corps

Pros

Training socially challenged or disadvantaged youth to get life skills outside their 'bad' neighborhoods. Job satisfaction is great, making excellent friends with the students. Totally changed my view of people.

Cons

Very military like structure. While I lived offsite, the employees lived onsite in dorm situations. This caused some problems intrapersonally. Could be considered dangerous work.

More training in self defense.

Thinking of Working for the State?

Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Conservation Corps

Pros

The California Conservation Corps is a wonderful place to work that will help you in many ways. It is great for learning a ton of trades and they are great in helping you to find a transitional job when you leave.

Cons

The California Conservation Corps is not a good place to work if you are lazy and don't like to do hard labor.

My advice to the management is : Be more strict on rules and more open to listening to what workers have to say. They have a great bit of input that could help the organization greatly.