California Credits Group
www.ccg.com Pasadena, CA

California Credits Group Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014

John Simpson

Once you start here you might never leave.

Project Senior (Current Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsGood if you like preparing corporate tax forms.

Not as many hours as Big 5s

ConsImplementation of CRM software use in 2010. More time logging emails/calls with every client.

Busy season gets hectic but slow seasons can very dull

If you work here, you're desperate!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-A office job.

-Learn how to work on Team.

Cons-Very low pay.

-Work you hard and too many hours.

-No respect for low end employees and uncaring about personal lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. They don't care about it or will use it anyways.

Began as learning experience, turned into drudgery

ProsSmall firm, exposure to lots of new things. Easy access to upper management. Technologically advanced.

ConsLack of investment in employees, no move made to keep the best.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Review

ProsAt its best this place really offered a lot of job experience

ConsNo employee investment opportunities, poor follow through on decision making, a job not a career.

Mediocre First Job (entry-level, degree required)

Project Associate (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

Pros- Experience a typical corporate office environment
    - Learn how to work with a team
    - Learn how to multi-task better, and even learn office politics
    - Great location (for restaurants, after-work activities)
    - Clean, modern office
    - Company parties (young workforce)
    - Business trips are fun
    - Mediocre first job to work for a year, and put on your resume. It's just income until you find a better career.

Cons- Recent changes in floating holiday policies serve to anger the underpaid and overworked employees at the company. The company used to give 2 paid floating holidays to be used at any time (except for blackout dates), given to them at the start of the year. About two weeks after 2013, employees must now accrual the 2 days.

I had already felt the company does not care about it's workers, and every benefit/trip was forced and not something they actually wanted to do. Break this policy down, and you find that the company cannot give 2 days out of 365 for their employees, and they overrode their old policy with a new one that had yet to be implemented. This is an extremely petty policy, since 2 days out of 250-260 work days is only .008 of all work days in a year. Yet, the company does not have the decency to just give it to the people that make their money.

In the end, it's not about the 2 days. It is about the way the employees are (mis)treated and have no say in any matter because of the distance between management and the teams.

- Little interaction from lower-level workers and managers
    - No structured training program (learn on the fly)
    - Don't really learn anything that could be used for another job
    - Tedious, but mostly easy work (some may like that. Some jobs requiring tax terms and knowledge are harder but they're supposed to teach you)
    - Walking to the post-office in the heat

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice and interaction with an older, more accomplished manager to a low-level associate would have been nice. For a long time I was completing tasks mechanically, not knowing what I was really doing in the big picture.

My training was not structured, I felt that my seniors and associates that were there longer were overworked, and didn't want to take their own time to train me, though that may not be their fault.

May want to hire associates to do certain assigned tasks, and build them up slowly from there. I learned things that I would end up not doing again for a long time so the memory repetition was not there.

Perfect fit for tax incentive professionals, otherwise avoid

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance, Market leader for CA business (specifically Enterprise Zone) tax incentive consulting services, Aesthetically pleasing office environment, Documented path for promotion, Minimal politics,

ConsCore business is contingent on controversial state tax credits, providing for an unstable future
      - Naturally this could lead to outdated and extinct professional skill-sets
      - Niche skill-set does not allow for much career flexibility afterwards
    In-house software, IncentivePro, being designed for automated calculation of client tax credits
      - Decreases overhead costs and could very well reduce head count

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more engaged with the staff and show that you have a genuine interest in their growth and development within the company
      - This would reduce turnover and training costs
    Stop distancing yourself: Learn people's names and act as role models to foster a more team-oriented environment opposed to sticking with each other, the company is relatively small so there should be no need for segregation by job title

Worked for California Credits Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California Credits Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for California Credits Group CEO John Simpson. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by California Credits Group employees.