California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Secretary Matthew Cate

Matthew Cate

California State Prison-Corcoran

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Corcoran, CA

ProsLove the people I worked with.

ConsTo many budget cuts. That is the reason I am not working at the prison. They laid off all the teaching assistants.

Great Government Agency

ProsColleagues like each other and are supportive. Congenial work environment. If you like working independently and with the public, this is a great place to work.

ConsFast paced and sometimes heavy caseload but manageable. Can be political at times. Not many levels for promotion but high retention rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess growth needs before having mass hirings. Consider another level of promotion for ALJIi employees.

Toxic environment

Parole Agent (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsThe actual work/tasks are basic. The salary compared to skill and education requirements is excellent plus generous pension

ConsManagers are basically working beyond their skill level. Political decisions are not good for the department or stakeholders. No direction and a very limited understanding of what needs to be done at the top. Constant changes and 180 degree turns in policy

Advice to Senior ManagementPut better people in place at the top. Eliminate "homie hookups." Value the employees, be fair and consistent in policy and procedures. Do the right thing without being forced to throughlawsuits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst management and reputation in all state agencies

Legal Typist (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsYou don't need to think, it doesn't require education and if you play the game you can move up.

ConsManagement from the top down is awful.
    There is too much work and not enough staff.
    The management is not skilled in managing.
    Nothing ever gets completed on time and it causes internal friction and a lot of blame and finger pointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't know how to manage, and can't be depended on to be fair and professional, don't get a job in management. It's not about a raise, you need to think of the office morale.

Excellent Place to work.

ProsSupportive colleagues, supportive management. Beautiful quiet country while also very close to cities. You can make a different here.

ConsI am quite satisfied with this work. If you have never worked in a prison environment before, you will experience an "adjustment" phase as it is very different from community based work. However, all of my colleagues have been with this work for 13-30 years..you will know withing a couple of months if you are going to stay for a long time, or if you are going to move on. It is a great place to work if you are looking for stability.

Stable career choice

LVN (Current Employee) Susanville, CA

ProsEasy work load, within state so you can lateral to different types of jobs if you want to.

ConsToo much drama. LVNs are treated as if they dont have the knowledge base to do their job, medical care and standards are different, and promotions are based on favoritism, not skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessionalism

Very challenging-enjoyed staff and working w/inmates

LVN (Former Employee) Stockton, CA

ProsSalary-benefits-shift change w/other staff-hours-holiday pay

ConsHeat-yard buildings did not have air conditioning

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many supervisors changes

A lesson in frustration that I hope others avoid.

Psychiatrist (Former Employee) Stockton, CA

ProsGood Salary for the amount of work but the work is about paper not health care.

ConsTied up in bureaucracy, this organization is more interested in generating paper than healthcare.
    Poor morale, extremely centralized control from the state capital. Little regard for employees no less inmates that desperately need healthcare.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecentralize control and encourage local units to develop effective programs.
    Pay attention to the morale and welfare of staff.

AGPA-Analyst

Analyst (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsWorking for the government is a great job with the best benefits.

ConsYou do not get paid the best as you would in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

Mixed bag

Librarian (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDecent salary, good benefits, great retirement

ConsPeople who work there, jeopardize (and in some cases sacrifice) their emotional, psychological and mental health

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to the name of the organization! Start offering rehabilitation to inmates!

Worked for California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation? Contribute to the Community!