California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Secretary Matthew Cate
Matthew Cate

Pros
  • Decent salary, good benefits, great retirement (in 5 reviews)

• Decent salary and good benefit package (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Negative place to work and poor management (in 3 reviews)

• Have to be able to deal with hard individuals (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with CDCR has challenging, good retirement and salary, a lot of politics.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Tehachapi, CA
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Tehachapi, CA

I have been working at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Retirement Package, Health Benefits, Flexible Hours, Salary.

Cons

Micro-Management, Leadership lack of communication, Politics

Let us do our jobs, and if we have a question give us a straight answer.

I have been working for CDCR as a Registered Nurse for 7 months and I love it.

I have been working at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low work load compared to an acute care hospital
    Great Pay
    Great Benefits
    Autonomy
    Great Pension
    No issues w/ families interfering w/ patient care
    Inmates very respectful & grateful for your help

Cons

Gossip
    Paper charting
    Outdated medical records system (they are get a computerized Electronic medical records system in Jan 2015.
    Difficult to promote unless you're friends w/ the right people.
    A few Incompetent SRN's

If you a supervising a specific area you should know how to do the job.

CA Dept of Corrections & Rehab

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers I have had here are life long friends. The people are really great. Working in a program that was new meant that I had the opportunity to see the and be part of the development process. That was a great experience that taught me a lot of valuable lessons. Also, working around administrative staff is a great way to observe possible promotional opportunities weather it be within the department or outside.

Cons

Having a supportive management is crucial and this wasn't always the case. Additionally, there is a need for more space. Many office spaces are crowded.

One of the most corrupt, dirty, incompetently staffed jobs I have ever worked in!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Soledad, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Soledad, CA

Pros

Salary, benefits, and pension were good. Money doesn't cut it for a life in hell after awhile. One of the only places in Monterey County that hire new grad nurses.

Cons

Horribly inept and corrupt management team on both custody and medical's side. The more honest and helpful you are, the worse you are treated. Promotions into supervisory roles are always given to the "yes" man, the "good ole boys club, or if you are one to turn a blind eye to all the problems. Nobody cares or makes any effort to update old policies that contradict what they tell you to do (policies, when done wrong, only matter when something punitive is being done to you). No trust in the workplace, horrible staff morale, everyone just wants to "do their 8 and hit the gate". Half the staff are unhelpful, backstabbing, and will not train you. The other half just keep their mouths shut and don't want to "get involved". Too many federal and state guidelines to follow when you can barely get your basic job completed without accruing "overtime" of which is scorned at. Supervisory staff well known for reporting dozens of staff to the Board of Nursing for false accusations.

Advice to Management: KARMA!!!!

Overall great experience

Current Employee - LVN in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Chino, CA

I have been working at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Met some great Co workers at cdcr
    Benefits are great
    Pay is ok

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    No rotating holidays and weekend's Off
    Never enough coverage of correctional officers to nurse and inmate ratio.

N/a

Nice Place to "Make a Difference"

Former Employee - Supervisor of Correctional Education in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Correctional Education in Stockton, CA

I worked at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and retirement benefits. Good promotion opportunities

Cons

Working with inmates and wards can be demanding at times.

Keep training employees on the job.

oppressive atmosphere in working with this agency

Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Decent salary and good benefit package

Cons

A very oppressive working environment. it is set up like a military regime. the top administration is not interested in getting feedback about how the working conditions or work load. The department has no interest in the health and welfare of its employees. they just want the work done when in reality it cannot be done due to an already too high work load. most of the workers leave due to physical and emotional injuries on the job.

ask the employees what can be done to create a healthier and more productive work environment. learn what the lower level employees are feeling and do something to create a friendlier work load and environment. stop punishing employees that cannot complete their jobs in the time demanded and find out what work load is reasonable

Good job

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Folsom, CA

I have been working at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good career, able to move up with hard work.

Cons

Have to be able to deal with hard individuals.

Easy to move up.

I worked for the department for 10 years and I am glad to be away. Too many politics.

Former Employee - Associate Information Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Information Systems Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Promotions are available with the ability to lateral into other departments. Peace officer retirement offers a great package.

Cons

Management sometimes doesn't know what they are doing. Promotions are mostly given to the people "they" like.

Get some training.

Terrible Career Choice Unless You Are Without Other Options

Former Employee - Correctional Sergeant in Soledad, CA
    Former Employee - Correctional Sergeant in Soledad, CA

I worked at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is not too bad after 2 years. The apprenticeship program is simple to complete and concludes with a huge jump in pay.

Cons

Backstabbing is always a problem in this environment. Also you will inevitably run into people who are out to destroy your career. Oh and then there are the inmates what can you say they are criminals they are going to do what Inmates do.

Give a damn about your employees working 70 hour weeks inside of a prison with 0 work life balance.

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Photos

Inmate-Firefighter Crew, Station 931
Wasco State Prison Aerial View

+ Add Photo

Work at California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation? Share Your Experiences

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation