California Department of Justice

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
CEO

1. I worked as a student assistant for the CA Attorney General's Office at the Department of Justice from 2006-2009.

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even if you are not a law student, it is a great way to earn money and work experience while attending school. It's a great insight on how a segment of the government works. Even though you are at the bottom of the employment pole, you still feel like you are part of the team and not forgotten or disregarded.

Cons

No health benefits which could be a problem if you break your back lifting boxes of cases but that will usually never happen. You are usually not cleared for security so you have to go through them everyday.

Advice to Management

Bring more employment tests to the LA office and other parts of California. It should not be limited to Sacramento. Increase the budget to allow for more assistants so the secretaries are not overburdened with work.

2. Great job security

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time

Pros

Health Benefits Balance of Work/Life ratio Retirement Benefits Promotional Opportunities

Cons

Stagnant process. Working for the government, there are some days where you are not doing anything. Years of services holds more weight in decision making and promotions than your drive or ability to show leadership abilities.

Advice to Management

None. Management comes and goes, and new regimes will always want to instill their type of environment or system.

3. Too many slackers here

Pros

There is always something for you to do. Managers don't micromanage you. Nice office environment.

Cons

Some clerks taking advantage of the amount of freedom they have. Basically taking an hour to an hour and a half breaks each day, especially the younger ones. A lot of mindless work. It also seems like there is rarely any firing around here, but certain people need to be released from their jobs, because they are relaxing more than working. Funny thing is that the management knows it and still will not do anything.

Advice to Management

Obviously, there are many areas in DOJ, but I am just talking about one area. Make sure the managers still supervise their seasonal clerks. It is not fair for some clerks to work hard at their job and pick up the other clerks' slack. Managers should also stop with the favoritism. If you are a manager, learn to be professional and act like one.

5. Steady

Current Employee - Criminal Identification Specialist II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Criminal Identification Specialist II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job is ok and the people are ok; I appreciate the fact that I have a job.

Cons

It's hard sometimes working for someone that you are more experienced and more educated than. I am originally a private industry and self employed worker, so working for the state for the last 6 years has been an adjustment. Would I work back in private industry or take the chance of being self employed again "YES". There is not a lot of upward mobility; I had to leave DOJ and go outside this agency t o promote and then come back.

Great work

I worked at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability and sense of purpose.

Cons

Salaries are low, subject to legislative decisions.

7. tons of experience

Current Employee - Deputy Attorney General in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Deputy Attorney General in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Department of Justice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get experience and begin a career

Cons

Low Pay for the work

Advice to Management

assign cases

8. Working in the files area at Immigration and Naturalization Service

Former Employee - Office Automation Assistant in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Office Automation Assistant in Fresno, CA

I worked at California Department of Justice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a level of security with federal job. you are vested in a 3 yr period whichis pretty short!

Cons

Being a Federal entity there are budget constraints that make it hard to get the job done sometimes.

Advice to Management

Make the atmosphere little more laid back and the employees will feel somewhat more comfortable

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Awesome benefits, great opportunities for growth

Cons

Occasional micromanagement . Work can be tedious at times depending on the department.

10. People are welcoming and willing to guide you though, but emotionally draining depending on which department.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good pay, and wonderful staff, everyone was willing to work with you and support eachother, even in the most stressful of times.

Cons

In the Child Protection Department, it was very emotionally draining, which led to my retiring. I simply couldn't deal with the vast amounts of depressing cases and backlog.

Advice to Management

Continue to get everything digitized, and work with the police offices to allow digital feedback, instead of having to hand write 1000's of papers.

11. Assistant at DOJ in San Francisco

Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great learning ability for a college student. It landed me a job at a legal startup in the Silicon Valley directly after graduation.

Cons

Job got really repetitive after a while but I don't know what more you can expect as a student intern. Pay was terrible, but I wasn't really looking for that either.

Advice to Management

I wished there was a little more responsibility and ability to learn some of the more complex systems given to me while I was there.

RSS Feed </> Embed