California Department of Public Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

SSM II

Staff Services Manager II (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsState Civil Service provides great benefits and promotional opportunities. Health dental and vision benefits are available to most employees. CalPERS retirement contribution/participation is required offers a variety of retirement options, depending on age and years of service. The CDPH employees some great people with the desire to help all of CA.

ConsUnrealistic expectation, lack of resources, extreme workloads

Bad IT management makes a bad IT organization.

Information Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsVariety of areas to work with. Good people at the rank and file level. Flexible work hours.

ConsManagement cronyism creates a dysfunctional and ineffective IT organization. Unmotivated workers put little initiative into the job. High turnover leads to unsupported, out of date software.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo away (but the system would just refill with the same). Promotion is based on being liked by those above, so lots of schmoozing and brown-nosing.

Bureaucratic, lack of direction

Intern (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsThe campus itself is pretty is nice and there's a shuttle that runs from the Bart station. Decent amount of freedom to do what needs to be done.

ConsProjects are rather boring and there's a lack of direction from my supervisor; he's not very clear on what he wants to be done and there seems to be poor communication between people, at least on the project I worked on. I was an intern here and setting up direct deposit/getting paid was a bureaucratic nightmare and riddled with paperwork. No travel compensation (I'm in college and have to take the Bart there). Some nice coworkers, others seem dull/bored. Have not met anyone remotely close to my age.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication between people; I was constantly being told to do opposite things by different supervisors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good and stable place to work

Research Scientist II (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsJob stability is pretty good. Benefits and wages are pretty fair. They do allow you to work from home if your classification allows it. They encourage employees to take public transportation by offering transit subsidies. Location is great with a nice big park to walk around in and close to tons of restaurants.

ConsAs usual with government places, bureaucracy is an issue. Depending on where you work, management can be difficult to work with and can be a hindrance to work flows. It's hard for research scientists to move up the ladder and a lot of restrictions are in place such as travel and the ability to present at different conferences. Depending on where you are, research and focusing on publishing journal articles are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your rank and file employees. They are the ones that are involved with the daily operations. Allow them some creative freedom to pursue research ideas especially with research scientists. Give more opportunities to go up the ranks. Most of the money are coming from federal grants after all.

Slow-paced, but can have benefits

ProsDepending on your department, pace and work expectations will vary. But overall, slow-paced and different from industry

ConsOrdering takes too long through the small businesses. Difficult to travel for conferences and training. Decrease in funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix ordering. Allow research scientists to travel.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful leadership and flexibility in program areas of interest

Consbeaurocratic as expected, some barriers to research

Very fulfilling

HFEN (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsAbility to ensure competent health care

Consnon competitive pay for RN's

Advice to Senior Managementna

A great place to get started

Staff Service Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLots of cause-oriented people passionate about what they do. Many opportunities to collaborate with others across the state and other departments.

ConsJobs here are only as good as you are willing to invest in them. You can, and some people do, just show up for a paycheck. Those people make work a little frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide your time more equitably between your work and managing the work output levels of your staff.

Improving State Government, One Retirement at a Time

Associate Governmental Program Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood Salary
    Flexible Schedules
    Good Benefits Package
    State Employee Perks

ConsLong-term state workers drag down morale, hijack positions that could be better served by individuals far less jaded and self-entitled.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne retirement at a time...

Laid-back work environment

Systems Software Specialist (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

Prostypical government 9-5 job. get in, do your job, go home and not have to think about work after work. retirement pension plan, good medical benefits. I work in the IT side so not sure how the work environment is in the labs. plenty of parking on Richmond campus. company provides shuttle from Bart. campus grounds are kept well manicured and weather is nice so nice to take a walk outside after lunch. see some cute girls working here from time to time.

Conslower pay than private industry. Richmond campus doesn't have much choice of eateries around for lunch.

Advice to Senior Managementcan we get a gym on campus? also some company sponsored parties where we can meet new people would be nice

Worked for California Department of Public Health? Contribute to the Community!