California Employment Development Department

1. Workforce Services

Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department

Pros

I have spent most of my life in private industry and worked a wide variety of jobs from unloading trucks to materials management, from dishwasher to cook, from inventory clerk to bidding contracts and I find all of that experience puts me in a position to understand the motivations of those looking for work. Helping people and being able to relate to where they are in their current situation allows me a rewarding career at an over 60 year old place in life.

Cons

The cons tend to come in one of two forms. After years working for non-governmental corporations I chafe at the inherent slowness of getting anything accomplished in less than 30 days. I am accustomed to making a decision and then taking action. At EDD once a decision is made it may take three to six weeks to actually begin to take action. Sometimes it is so slow you have forgotten what you wanted to accomplish in the first place!

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make a decision and carry it out.

2. Program Manager

I worked at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional organized management team. Great place to learn and develop professionally.

Cons

It can be a rigid work environment. Not a lot of flexibility

3. Information Security Analyst

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, great salary, benefits, working with cutting edge technology

Cons

upper management a bit disorganized, no more complaints

5. Flexible working hours, wonderful managements, and growth opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Tax Compliance Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Compliance Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department

Pros

-Free parking -flexible hours -friendly environment -supporting coworkers -encouraging management

Cons

-outdated processes -outdated systems -no wifi -only one bathroom on each floor

6. Tax Auditor, Range B

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Santa Fe Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, great benefits, and a PENSION!

Cons

Salaries are not competitive.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time

Pros

Very detailed training, supportive management, decent pay and benefits. Stay focused through the training and do your job and its a great place.

Cons

If you are classified as a Permanent intermittent employee, your hours may get cut sometimes based upon state budget. CAL HR or whoever is in charge of the pay and benefits is a total joke. Every month something is wrong with your paycheck whether they did not take out your insurance premium or shorting you on the hours paid, which you then have to alert your manager and takes a couple weeks to fix.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. It would be good to have a benefits presentation during orientation that explains everything so we are not left having to research online and figure it out. Also the state controller or cal hr really needs to clean house and hire some people that can actually do their job.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst

Current Employee - Associate Governmental Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Governmental Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department full-time

Pros

Paid holidays and stable work. The EDD is there in the time of need for Californians. You can feel good about the work you do.

Cons

Central Office in Sacramento is a filthy, old, and distrusting building. To work there you must sign a waiver that you agree to work there with ASBESTOS. Who does that

Advice to Management

Be knowledgable about your job. Don't micromanage. Trust your staff. Play an active supportive role in your staffs professional development. Please lead by example.

Disability Insurance Claim Examiner

Current Employee - Disability Insurance Program Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Disability Insurance Program Representative in Riverside, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department

Pros

Great benefit pay, including vacation, holidays, health insurance

Cons

Excessive micro-management. Job requires sitting long hours, manager constantly monitoring calls per hour.

Employment Program Representarive

Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Program Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department

Pros

Working for EDD is very rewarding; however, you get out what you put in. If you are enthusiastic about your job, you'll find it is a great organization to work for.

Cons

It is hard to have upward mobility. I find that there many people in State of CA jobs who stay in the same position for over 10 years.

Advice to Management

Try working with the clients more often so you get see what your staff has to deal with. Sometimes the managers do not have realistic goals.

11. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Inglewood, LA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Inglewood, LA

I have been working at California Employment Development Department part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Decent Pay,Calm Environment

Cons

Have too many temp positions, and lead you on to think you will gain Long-Term employment with them. you might be treated like a child/or client if your hired through a program with them,so you will do all the hard work as if you are employed through the company but you will always be treated like your just a client or a kid and your at the bottom respect wise so word of advice stay out of peoples way just do your job and always strive to do the best you can

Advice to Management

be honest ,stop using and abusing.

RSS Feed </> Embed