California Family Fitness

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Randy Karr

1. Amazing Company To Work For!!

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at California Family Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for this company is nothing like a boring office job. The environment is full of energy, excitement and great people and every day is different. There is so much opportunity at Cal Fit whether you are just looking for a part time job, or a career. If you are interested in moving up, management takes the time to prepare you, and the internal growth opportunity is amazing! I have had the best 4 years so far with this company, and plan on many more!

Cons

Disrespect from angry members (comes with the job!) And sometimes long demanding hours.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. Great atmosphere

Pros

great leadership clean facilities many opportunities when starting your "career"

Cons

irate customers sometimes long hours high turnover

Advice to Management

n/a

3. Be Careful!

Former Employee - Child Care Attendant
    Former Employee - Child Care Attendant

I worked at California Family Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers, great hours.

Cons

Company and Members discriminate against men in child care. Low Pay Horrible managers.

Advice to Management

Support men in child care and care more about your employees.

5. One of the best jobs that I have had to date

Pros

California Family Fitness is one of the best jobs that I have had to date. We have a great team and a lot of (mostly) fabulous members who make coming to work fun. Operations upper management is very supportive and involved. I love working in an environment where people are actively working to improve themselves daily. Flexible with school schedule.

Cons

The hours can be quite demanding

Advice to Management

Provide better training for up and coming management and incentive for continuing education for veteran managers

Membership Sales

I worked at California Family Fitness part-time

Pros

High volume of clients. Great referral system. Commission structure is pretty good.

Cons

Long hours with a overall lack of real growth opportunity

7. True family feeling!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at California Family Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

California Family Fitness has by far been the best team I have worked with and the experience has been priceless. Very supportive senior management and club management teams. The relationships that we are able to build with each other and the members makes coming to work enjoyable. Hard work pays off and is recognized.

Cons

Some days can be hectic and fast paced. Frustrated members can be challenging at times. Not a job for the timid or thin-skinned!

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company and create more opportunities for advancement. Expand Corporate teams for greater club support.

8. Personal Trainer

Pros

Plenty of leads to choose from and very clean work environment. Customers were awesome and it was nice to get a free gym membership.

Cons

They were way to corporate. Maxed out on my pay scale after just one year and lost incentive to grow with the company. The only opportunity to increase my hourly pay was to move to an assistant manager position which did not seem like the juice was worth the squeeze. All the fitness manager complained of crappy pay.

Advice to Management

Chillax a bit. Listen to your employees and offer additional ways to grow within the company as far as pay is concerned.

9. Personal Trainer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Fun work environment, cool employees

Cons

lack of pay, strong disconnect between corporate and employees, disorganized mid management

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees(especially trainers) and you will attract/retain higher caliber employees. Employee development is poor

10. Underlined Racist company

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Family Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co workers and people are great. Also the gym I work at is small and most guest are legitimately nice to you.

Cons

Some guest are rude and snobs. Management cares nothing about the employees. They are a California based company with rules that would only be accepted in Utah, example no facial hair, no visable tattoos, men can't have earrings, etc...itsnot 1960 anymore get over it. The cooperate level management is crude, condescending and there is a tone of racism from them unless you are there "token" black guy. With the exception of the gyms in the south you will only see one or maybe up to 4 black people at most locations and many of those people are about as black as a polar bear. They want to make everyone fit the "proper" white Anglo-Saxon appearance I guarantee you will never see a man with dreads working there with the exception of the gyms in south sac. Also the management also will reward the biggest brown noisers or money makers everyone else is treated as not valuable.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and remember people matter. I would have thought better of Randy the CEO because he seems to be a genuinely nice man. But the other staff in cooperate are judgemental and sub-councious racist. A job should be based on work performed and attendence not if you like the person or not.

11. I love the members, the people, and what the company stands for.

Former Employee - Membership Consultant
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant

I worked at California Family Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will form friendships with members, and you will be come friends with your coworkers even faster. Everyone is great except corporate.

Cons

Working in sales was a challenge because when you're starting they basically toss you to the wolves. Sink or swim.

Advice to Management

It would be more beneficial to really train your staff. If they are struggling help them. Understand that money isn't everything and members are more important. Most of the managers I've work with talk about members as ways to get their next paycheck instead of actually wanting to help them meet their goals. When you have ideas they shun them, and force you to do what they want. If you give your employees a voice let them use it.

RSS Feed </> Embed