California Family Health Council

Reset
2.2
Julie Rabinovitz

1. Health Education Consultant

Former Employee - Health Educator/Health Education Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Family Health Council

Pros

CFHC provides many valuable services to women and families in California. I enjoyed working alongside very passionate health educators, writers, managers an support staff.

Cons

Type of work and the amount of work was dependent on funding. We moved to a smaller location after lease expired. Eventually, CFHC closed the health education and publications division in Los Gatos.

Advice to Management

Continue offering the array of services to women and families in California. Reopen the Los Gatos location if you get more funding in the future.

2. Great staff hampered by very poor leadership

I worked at California Family Health Council full-time

Pros

The "old guard" is exceedingly knowledgeable and has a lot to give. If you're interested in reproductive health policy, this is an important organization.

Cons

Toxic, angry senior leadership that is unfocused and unallied with staff. Things get done through fear motivation rather than inspiration. Lots of needless gossip, drama and backstabbing, even to the point of sabotaging people. Poor competency with general operations.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it and let your people work. People work best when they are motivated, not in fear of losing their job or displeasing their manager.

I worked at California Family Health Council for 2 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at California Family Health Council (More than a year)

Pros

This organization has an amazing staff that is really trying to make a difference and advance its mission. The staff is highly knowledgeable but sadly, the leadership fails to acknowledge, recognize and capitalize on their staff's knowledge. Beware of this before walking into a hyped-up position.

Cons

The working culture at CFHC is absolutely horrendous thanks to the toxic environment the senior leadership create. In my department, my supervisor didn't seem to not know how to say 'no' to the CEO. So in that regard, whatever request came down from the top, however unreasonable it was, that became the number one priority. Don't expect any sort of consistency. Priorities and tasks were often shifted immediately and the turn-around for tasks was extremely quick, making you wonder how these decisions were made. Often times things are assigned and then scrapped at the last minute which creates wasted energy and pointless work. If you try asking questions about strategy, expect to be made to feel inappropriate or dumb. This created an extremely uncomfortable and awkward space that prevented staff from speaking up and standing up for themselves especially when they were feeling abused. Most of the time the leadership had no idea what went into accomplishing some of these projects and failed to appreciate the work you put in. Much of the work that is assigned is very top-down and directive, rather than collaborative. Additionally, most of focus is to enhance the image of the organization rather than to actually further the mission. Very little of the work that I did at CFHC is something that I look at proudly and say it made a difference. In fact, the work that did have meaning to me were the projects that my boss asked me to put on the back-burner leaving me to doubt her competency in her position. On a side note regarding lack of professionalism, my supervisor had a habit of feeling the need to gossip about partner organizations and colleagues in racially and culturally insensitive ways which obviously would lead a person to wonder what was said about you after leaving the room.Overall, I would recommend staying away from this place unless you don't have any good ideas and don't care. The positions tend to be hyped up with fancy buzzwords, but don't really mean anything in practice. Advancement and growth opportunities are minimal. Many of the staff that have worked there for a while talk about a time before the current CEO was in leadership as a positive place to work that was family-friendly, flexible and welcoming. Unfortunately, the current CEO has brought with her a toxic work environment that is reinforced by the leadership she has hired.

Advice to Management

Let go of your egos. Take some leadership courses, management classes, or something. Listen to your staff. They are a lot more knowledgeable than you think. You don't always have the best ideas. Part of being a successful leader is recognizing the talent that is your staff.

Talented staff, great projects and initiatives but very inadequate senior leadership

I worked at California Family Health Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I left CFHC after being employed for less than a year between 2013-2014.

1. Talented and hard-working employees, many of whom are well established in reproductive health
    2. Lots of challenging and exciting projects in research, public policy, STD prevention and consumer awareness

Cons

Within my team:
    1. My manager had unrealistic expectations and demands when considering the size of her staff, which led our team members being constantly overwhelmed and stressed.
    2. Meanwhile, team priorities constantly shifted without valid explanation. A decision would be made, our team would scramble to follow through and then the project would just be scrapped at the end. This is an ineffective use of staff time.
    3. Moreover, my supervisor was a micromanager, which resulted in an excessive amount of back and forth and was extremely inefficient. As a result, it created a toxic culture where staff aren't trusted to do what they were hired to do.

Company-wide:
    1. Salaries/benefits package are not competitive (even when compared to other non-profits of the same size).
    2. Very high turnover rate across all departments. Of those who left, a large number was at CFHC for less than 1-2 years. This caused priorities to continually shift to remaining employees and the hiring process for replacement(s) was slow.
    3. No budget (or very limited budget) for conferences and training, which is a strong indication that the company doesn't really invest in its employees. It's not surprising that there's also limited opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategies for employee retention, including being responsive to the needs and feedback of your staff and showing that you value and appreciate them. Strive to build a better relationship with other organizations in the sexual and reproductive health space, which means also attending their meetings/conferences and not just spamming them with emails to come to CFHC-related events. Recognize that hiring outside consultants is neither a cost-effective nor sustainable strategy and shouldn't replace investing in your in-house employees.

So Much Potential, Yet So Dysfunctional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Family Health Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The non-managerial staff that has been there for over 10 years is very knowledgeable, helpful, and hard working. Many of the new staff are talented but unfortunately are severely under-appreciated.

Cons

Unfortunately the leadership has failed to see or value the expertise of long time employees or new hires. For an organization in a state that is so diverse, the work place culture is not culturally sensitive. The leadership with the CEO at the helm, has taken a very unhealthy top down approach with little interest in actual program outcomes and no genuine interest in employee development. All staff except of upper management are severely underpaid. For an organization of it's size there is no full-time HR department, only an HR consultant that reports directly to the CEO making it impossible for employees to feel they have anyone to turn to. Because there is no real concern for staff, benefits are inadequate for the demands. There is an interest in capturing and collecting data for grant purposes but no real interest in actual programs. So much has been poured into creating an image, actual programming gets little attention. Minority audiences (clients) are more often than not an afterthought in a state with more than half of the population is part of a minority group. Older employees talked about a very different culture previous to the current leadership. Unfortunately it is a hostile, culturally inept, superficially focussed organization.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the current top down approach. Value, listen, and respect your employees. When hiring consider hiring people in CA instead of people in the CEO's home state of Illinois.

7. A good place to work if you have family other commitments

I worked at California Family Health Council

Pros

Family friendly
    Mostly nice people
    People dedicated to the mission of the organization
    Some departments can be very flexible on schedules/ etc.
    Many employees have been around for a long time, so that says something
    Agency has multiple dept. so opportunity to find an interest in lots of arenas surrounding women's health
    Subsidized parking in a crappy part of town that requires you pay to park
    Close to Metro Red line (subway)

Cons

Very little room for growth
    Company is not expansive so there is an inherent ceiling on growth
    Conservative and not very innovative
    Pay is barely competitive, but it is a non profit

Advice to Management

Find new revenue streams
    Hire more business people and less policy folks
    Depend less on gov't funding so that better pay, consistent raises can become a reliable part of the company
    Focus more on company morale
    Do a better job of screening for higher levels positions

8. Recommended

I worked at California Family Health Council

Pros

CFHC is a very friendly place to work, with an excellent team atmosphere.

Cons

There were problems with the CFO, but I think that there is a new team in place.

Advice to Management

CFHC is a great place to work, but it lost some of the focus on listening to employees and learning from them.

RSS Feed </> Embed