California ISO

Stephen Berberich

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice experience

Associate Regional Transmission Engineer (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsModerate pressure, nice colleague, chance to get in touch with industry problem

ConsA lot of time spent to do trivial simulation and analysis, which is necessary for industry but not good for self-development

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should be based on experience and performance.

California ISO - Information Technology

Systems Architect (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsHigh Pay for the area. Good benefits. Nice working conditions. Coworkers appear to be concerned about "keeping the lights on" for the State of California.

ConsPoor Management. Even the CEO, Steven Berberich appears to be more concerned about politics than any other topic.
    There are hundreds of people working at CAISO. Do we really need this many highly compensated people to prevent price gouging when California buys energy? CAISO appears to be another bloated "governance" agency. This agency could be replaced with a much smaller and efficient organization that does the same work. Some managers at CAISO are highly unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advice to management is two fold. Manage staff fairly, rewarding those who add value. Fire those who do not.
    For personal growth, many people who work at the ISO do not know what they do there. Make sure each employee passes a training curriculum each year educating everyone on how ISO works from all aspects. There is only a monarch at CAISO and he makes all the decisions. Change this and the org will improve.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsVery good benefits, competitive pay, CEO/management makes a good effort to communicate company direction, new building and good office supplies, dynamic environment where employees can be exposed to the power industry. Good location (close to Sacramento, San Francisco, Napa Valley, Tahoe, among others).

ConsMost times you are working to be extremely efficient with work. There is always more work that you can possible do and therefore employees have to constantly juggle different tasks and reevaluate priorities on the go. There are opportunities for growth but you have to keep on your toes and and ask for it, specially in the IT department. Also there are many silos throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure when new projects are approved that you have considered the resources available. Often times a high load of work is dumped in already overloaded employees. Also make sure to recognize individuals hard work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic summer internship for students in the power systems field

Operations Engineer (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsThe office culture is fantastic, with everyone looking to help out and teach the interns about all aspects of the company. The compensation is very fair and the perks include an onsite gym, volleyball court, and co-workers that schedule outside events regularly.

ConsThe location in Folsom is good for someone who likes a quieter life, but the nights and weekends left something to be desired.

Operations Engineering Planning Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsGreat workplace
    Encouraging team members
    Challenging tasks and great mentoring
    Lot of things to learn
    People are accessible
    Will be respected as an intern
    get a chance to meet CEO and upper management

ConsRecognition of work done by the managers
    Seen some politics
    People are very busy some times
    Unless and until asked, work will not be given

Advice to Senior ManagementGive work to people according to their backgrounds. Otherwise, keep it up!!!

Fast-paced company

Customer Services (Current Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsYou get to work with a very diversified group of people, who are highly intelligent.

ConsIt is very difficult to get promotions. No succession planning for most employees, only select positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the efforts of your employees

Sounded nice, not so much though...

Meter Engineering Representative (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsCAISO looks great on a resume, and depending on ones role it is a great place to gain exposure to other industry organizations. Nice benefits, decent salary, folsom is a nice place to work.

Cons"People join organizations, but they leave their management"--one of my MBA classes. As previously stated, management is largely clueless to the technical aspects of the work they supervise and many decisions become largely "political" for lack of a better term. Kiss up and (maybe) get promoted, speak up and get fired. While good corporate policies exist, they are seldom followed which has lead to a poor image within the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, do the right thing, improve yourself because this can't last forever.

A mix of old and new people.

Analyst (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsSome of the technology
    Cafe was usually good.

ConsIt works almost like a pseudo government dept.
    If your not perm you don't seem to matter unless a perm backs you.

Life at the ISO

Manager Procurement (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsVery good company with lots of very intelligent people working for the good of consumers of electricity in CA. Great benefits that exceed the majority of employers in any industry.

ConsHigher level of political environment due to the Governor's responsibility to appoint its Board and the level of any impact of failures. Employees may get caught in the political fires within management

Advice to Senior ManagementMore control of political environment of the officers.

Great responsibility, small company issues

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsThe California ISO is responsible for managing the electrical grid for California. The development and evolution of the electrical industry is moving quickly so it provides an exciting and fast paced environment. Smart people

ConsSmall company can limit career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus, Focus, Focus. Limit the amount of efforts ongoing at one time to the most important items.

Worked for California ISO? Contribute to the Community!