California Institute of the Arts

CEO

Environment

Current Employee - Teacher In Art (Photography and Media) in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher In Art (Photography and Media) in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by exhilarating talent daily. You are treated like an artist rather than an academia. Creative approaches to teaching welcome.

Cons

it is a buisness, the administrations priorities are sometimes curious to the faculty. However, not a lot to complain about.

teaching assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working there. such a vibrant school. the management listens to your opinion sincerely and they are very open-minded.

Cons

i guess valencia is a bit far too drive from the city. sometimes you ll get a lot of traffic when you hit the I-5. especially morning hours or at around 5 you will hit the jam.

CalArts Employee Review

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We get almost two weeks off at Christmas
    Fridays off in Summer
    Dogs are permitted on campus
    Supportive environment

Cons

As a young professional there isn't anywhere to grow. It's either low or high level administrative work. There isn't a stepping stone between. AS an employee I can't take a class at CalArts for actual course credit, I can only audit. This should be one of the major perk of working in higher education, but it doesn't exist here. The location in far from Los Angeles.

Some fantastic people caught in a system that lacks direction and leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented people here, it's a creative-academic atmosphere

Cons

The school lives off of its past history as a groundbreaking, cutting edge art school; the technology is behind other schools, managers settle for status quo, lack of creativity on the part of the administration; the good people leave from burnout, the bad people stay because there is no performance bars set.

Stop living off the history of the school - focus on rethinking the direction and redesign the school for the 21st Century; most of all, leadership, leadership, leadership at all levels from supervisors to the president's office. There needs to be energy from the top that's carried down. And please set and enforce performance goals.

Great working at CalArts

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Valencia, CA

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, artistic work environment, surrounded by friendly people who enjoy their jobs

Cons

The only con I have is that there is not a more permanent position for me

Creativity Hub, working for passion over pay

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts

Pros

The great thing about CalArts is that it promotes creativity and the place is full of famous and amazing faculty members, but also a very talented pool of students.

Cons

The salary pay is not high for faculty, would rank low to average. Faculty who teach there are not for the money, but for the students.

There should be more transparency and efficiency with management and budgeting of the school expenses.

The Character Animation Department -- A very creative and inspiring place to be.

Current Employee - Instructor in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Valencia, CA

Pros

The pay is very good compared to the other colleges I've taught at, twice as much as some (!)

The present department heads have made the program much better-run, better structured, and changed the previous all-too-laissez faire attitude of the students and department into one that gives the teachers much more motivated and responsible pupils to teach (which makes our job much easier).

The other teachers are top-notch talents in the field and almost everyone I've met over the years is very dedicated to helping the students be the best that they can.

Cons

Not really any. There's occasionally slow progress on getting change to happen in a class or the program but no more than so than in any higher ed bureaucracy.

Wonderful college experience for young people into arts

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Institute of the Arts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Artistic, creative enviroment good experience especially working in the financial aid office with such friendly people was nice.

Cons

I don't remember any downsides

Great school but working there you'll be running around!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at California Institute of the Arts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere with the students

Cons

transparency and upper admin changes.

It's for you or it isn't for you! Let's hope you're in a good dept.

Great place to work and study

Current Employee - Student Council
    Current Employee - Student Council

I have been working at California Institute of the Arts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As part of student council, I feel like I can really make a difference for the student body.

Cons

Sometimes quite time consuming; difficult to balance with a heavy homework load.