California Pacific Medical Center Reviews

Reset
3.2
California Pacific Medical Center CEO Warren Browner
Warren Browner

Pros
  • EXCELLENT staff and colleagues (those who are still there), good benefits and wages (in 4 reviews)

• Great place to work with great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was filled with infighting and they promoted intimidation and humiliation (in 3 reviews)

• My only good experience at CPMC was the day I gave notice and my last day (in 4 reviews)

1. Surgical Service Coordinator

Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of team work! We/They always pull together as a team to get the job done no matter how stressful the day is. It is like a family within a family.

Cons

There aren't any full time slots available. And they are not open on the weekends nor holidays. But it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!! I would love to work here full time with benefits at the Cal campus. It is a great experience.

2. Physical Therapist

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and PTO accrual; family like department and friends with colleagues; diverse patient population

Cons

Unrealistic productivity expectations; stress related to productivity

3. One step forward, two steps back.

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very forgiving with mistakes, although the work environment is responsible for most of them. One of the few organizations that still has a legitimate Pension plan.

Cons

The workload is atrocious and staffing is unrealistically low. The work process in virtually all the Support Services departments focuses on putting out active fires while new ones start. Every department feels wronged somehow. All office gossip, from Nursing staff to Housekeeping is the same tone - whose leaving where, what's being mismanaged, how heavy the workload, whose being blamed for what. The work environment has been toxic since around 2002, nothing new there, but thanks to San Francisco's increased minimum wage (No effort from Sutter to readjust) and mandatory Healthcare/PTO the benefits of staying with the company are shrinking with each paycheck.

Advice to Management

I've been at this organization long enough to know that this section is fruitless.

its a paycheck...USED to be employer of choice...treatment of employees has deteriorated in past 5 years....

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in San Francisco, CA

Pros

OKAY PLACE TO WORK, more of a customer service rep at a store than an RN in a hospital...medical/dental plans probably the best in san fran and offset the discrepencies..

Cons

NOT nursing focused..NO emphasis on advancement or education....have taken away most benefits such as retirement matching, bonuses, cost of living raises and equipment is old and outdated..not a forerunner for nursing..not sense of being part of a team..constant turnover of management and re-invention of wheel

Advice to Management

very top heavy..lots of titles, spend more money on beds, monitors, general equipment and less on salaries of upper management..management is revolving door....staff stays...

6. great people OK job

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center

Pros

Loved all my co workers

Cons

no room for growth there

Oppressive Senior Management, and Incompetent, Ladder-Climbing Middle-Management

Current Employee - Clinical
    Current Employee - Clinical

Pros

I like what I am hired to do. Decent benefits, but nothing compared to tech companies in SF.

Cons

As in Title: Never before have I witnessed such self-important management. Must agree with above poster. Not the least transparent; difficult to consider them "Team Too many ESL pharmacists, and lab managers. Makes communicating important info very difficult: pt suffers.

Advice to Management

Practice yourCPMC values.

a formerly great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

dedicated clinicians who absolutely have the best interest of the patients in mind

Cons

Sutter management too focused on bottom line and patient care suffered

Advice to Management

include clinicians in decision making, not just management (even if they were formerly in direct patient care-a lot has changed since many of these folks were in the trenches!)

CPMC hates its Nurses

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Really smart, kind, skilled medical staff -Great patient care (given in spite of the obstacles) -Team mentality, for the most part (depending on your shift)

Cons

-Turnover in administration leads to ever increasing, conflicting, and unnecessary rule changes (I've had more managers than I can count on two hands in the last 7 years) -Re-hiring +/- promotion of unprofessional, even incompetent and dishonest, people to both administrative and bedside roles. Watch your back. -All stick, no carrot atmosphere -Favoritism/nepotism -Training and education are non-existent -Breaks? LOL. You'll be lucky if you get one but you'll have to jump through hoops and get scolded if you don't pretend you did. -Reliance on temporary/traveling staff: I stopped learning new coworkers' names when we got a traveler administrator; what's the point? They don't stick around. Expect to be asked to train them, though. -Pay and benefits have stalled which is a problem in the most expensive city in the country (unless you don't live here. See: traveling staff problem). WELCOME TO CPMC!!! :)

Advice to Management

Ditch Sutter now.

10. Staff RN

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay. Great location. Nice coworkers and friendly physicians.

Cons

Ever-changing management. 8 hour shifts. Not always guaranteed vacation.

Cash Posting

Former Employee - Cashier in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Concord, CA

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center

Pros

Good benefits, good environment and clean hospital

Cons

Low salary, cant stay in one place. Administration always move from one place to another. in less than 5 years they move

Advice to Management

Increase salary

RSS Feed </> Embed