California Pizza Kitchen Reviews

Reset
3.4
California Pizza Kitchen Executive Chairman, President & CEO G.J. Hart
G.J. Hart

Pros
  • Flexible hours and commission based pay is what keeps you motivated (in 9 reviews)

• make good money for a college student (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I found myself consistently working 12-13 hours and when I would get ready to leave upper management would say "leaving already (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, not valued, not customer focused (in 8 reviews)

1. Best Job Ever!

Current Employee - Server & Human Resources in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Server & Human Resources in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, awesome/ beneficial experience & lots of benefits. A lot of staff grows within the company. This is a great company to work for! I started working as a host and now I am serving and temporarily at the Corporate office, hoping to one day be at the Corp. office permanently.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep on being awesome!

2. Not the best place anymore

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fresno, CA

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen (More than 5 years)

Pros

Felt like a family. Very flexible with time off and transferring to a different store.

Cons

not all stores are created equal. Some places are amazing to work and others were not. The company as a whole has gone down the hill in the last 2 years. No money and bad leadership.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. The regional manager needs to not be a dictator and realize happy employees make great customer service.

3. Restaurant Support Center

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely LOVE working in this place! The energy, culture and excitement surrounding the transformation of the company is exhilarating! Great teamwork, lots of fun and a ton of opportunities for innovation. The CEO is so awesome! He is always walking around, saying hi to people, walking in your office and sitting down having casual conversations. You forget he is running to whole company. He wants your opinion and cares about what is going on in your life. This place has everything I love, fun, food, culture and leaders who get it!

Cons

Location. It is located in Playa Vista so the traffic and drive is not fun. But it has been worth it so far!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing - focus on the people and keep it fun!

5. Server - Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CPK has a fun, laid back atmosphere for the most part. Hours are pretty flexible when there is a full staff of servers; most people are understanding and willing to swap shifts if something comes up. Management knows their jobs and cares for everyone under them, from cooks to hosts. Managers will help to make us as much money as possible, from running food to calming down customers. That in turn helps us to give each and every customer a positive experience. Pay for the amount of hours worked is AMAZING compared to every other serving job I've had. Overall: workers that care about one another like a family and do things together outside of work, great pay, and flexible hours (which is perfect for someone like me putting themselves through college)

Cons

One of my biggest complaints is Pizza Dough sign ups. We are told that we need to reach X amount of Pizza Dough sign ups each shift and that it is part of our job to sell this to customers. While I understand that it's to convince customers to want to come back, I feel like we are having to berate these customers. From what I understand, if we continuously do not hit our quota, we will have to go to meetings on how to sell this. If this fails, they would let us go. Plan to work most holidays (not just exclusive to CPK, however).

Advice to Management

While I understand that Pizza Dough gives to the guests, the way in which we are made to push them on the guests makes me a bit bitter about it.

6. lots of management issus

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen part-time

Pros

If the store is one that generates a lot of sales, tips are good.

Cons

Things may have changed since it's been quite some time since I worked there, but when I was there, there were lots of management issues. The company had been in trouble for making workers work through lunch without pay and was forced to pay them back, the management was micromanaging much for for no reason and was setting quotas for selling their new products. There were also issues about long-time employees getting their hours cut.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage as much. California Pizza Kitchen is supposed to have a "laid back" atmosphere and forcing servers to constantly "push" products at customers because they're trying to meet quotas creates a less comfortable work atmosphere and dining experience for customers instead of just letting the server make genuine suggestions.

7. cpk work experiance

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen part-time

Pros

flexible hours good job to have during school

Cons

food service, people are grumpy when they are hungry

8. Humble bartender's two cents.

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen

Pros

Busy store, good money, great hours.

Cons

Lack of communication on management level. Stereotypical corporate philosophy meaning bottom line is money. Everything is regulated. No rewards or incentives for excellent work. Employees treated as bodies instead of people. Lack of accountability overall.

9. Only good for temporary

Former Employee - Server in Snohomish, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Snohomish, WA

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen (More than a year)

Pros

Great tips, good set of team mates, area of location is nice, flexible schedule,

Cons

Management is so-so, there are times where it's slow and you are let go as soon as you get to work without prior notice beforehand

10. Mixed

Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We get 15% in tips. Some of the regulars are really kind,and co workers are really good at working as a team.

Cons

This company asks too much of their employees but they wont reward us for any of the things they ask us to do.Ive never seen a restaurant try that hard to have good cutomer service all the extra stuff in non sence.

Waikiki CPK

Former Employee - Line Cook in Waikïkï, HI
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Waikïkï, HI

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen

Pros

More than enough hours to go around for cooks...

Cons

poor management and unrealistic expectations

RSS Feed </> Embed