California Pizza Kitchen Reviews

Reset
3.4
California Pizza Kitchen Executive Chairman, President & CEO G.J. Hart
G.J. Hart

Pros
  • Flexible hours and commission based pay is what keeps you motivated (in 9 reviews)

• make good money for a college student (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I found myself consistently working 12-13 hours and when I would get ready to leave upper management would say "leaving already (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours, not valued, not customer focused (in 8 reviews)

1. Overall a pretty great company to work for

Former Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer some nice benefits for you even as just a part-time employee. Serving always allows a flexible schedule, but the company will also allow leaves of absence as needed, with a guarantee of a job once the leave is over as long as you communicate with your managers. Leaves of absence can be for a number things as expected including just a personal leave.

Cons

When you work for any corporate company, it will always be a little cut-throat at times.

Advice to Management

This is not to the company as a whole, but to some managers in general, don't take your anger or frustrations out on your employees. They are working their little tails off to ensure as smooth a service as possible. Try to relax sometimes :)

2. Good

Former Employee - Server/Waiter
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen

Pros

nice atmosphere good food good tips

Cons

managers are very diverse . Inconsistent

Advice to Management

none

3. EXPO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beacon, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beacon, NY

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had good hours. A lot of workers were foreign, some were college students.It was very good for a summer job.

Cons

Work environment was terrible. Was my first job so I didnt really ask for too much, but working for this comppany showed me this is not what i want to wake up and do everyday.

Advice to Management

None

5. Best Job Ever!

Current Employee - Server & Human Resources in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Server & Human Resources in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, awesome/ beneficial experience & lots of benefits. A lot of staff grows within the company. This is a great company to work for! I started working as a host and now I am serving and temporarily at the Corporate office, hoping to one day be at the Corp. office permanently.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep on being awesome!

6. Takeout

Former Employee - Take-out in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Take-out in Stamford, CT

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted food, potential for good tips, closes pretty early for a restaurant so having a social life is possible (10pm)

Cons

low pay if your not a server, management switches. Most jobs in the kitchen are very laborious in nature

Advice to Management

hear what employees have to say and try to make changes that are good for the restaurant culture

7. Not the best place anymore

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Fresno, CA

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen (More than 5 years)

Pros

Felt like a family. Very flexible with time off and transferring to a different store.

Cons

not all stores are created equal. Some places are amazing to work and others were not. The company as a whole has gone down the hill in the last 2 years. No money and bad leadership.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. The regional manager needs to not be a dictator and realize happy employees make great customer service.

8. Restaurant Support Center

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely LOVE working in this place! The energy, culture and excitement surrounding the transformation of the company is exhilarating! Great teamwork, lots of fun and a ton of opportunities for innovation. The CEO is so awesome! He is always walking around, saying hi to people, walking in your office and sitting down having casual conversations. You forget he is running to whole company. He wants your opinion and cares about what is going on in your life. This place has everything I love, fun, food, culture and leaders who get it!

Cons

Location. It is located in Playa Vista so the traffic and drive is not fun. But it has been worth it so far!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing - focus on the people and keep it fun!

9. Server - Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CPK has a fun, laid back atmosphere for the most part. Hours are pretty flexible when there is a full staff of servers; most people are understanding and willing to swap shifts if something comes up. Management knows their jobs and cares for everyone under them, from cooks to hosts. Managers will help to make us as much money as possible, from running food to calming down customers. That in turn helps us to give each and every customer a positive experience. Pay for the amount of hours worked is AMAZING compared to every other serving job I've had. Overall: workers that care about one another like a family and do things together outside of work, great pay, and flexible hours (which is perfect for someone like me putting themselves through college)

Cons

One of my biggest complaints is Pizza Dough sign ups. We are told that we need to reach X amount of Pizza Dough sign ups each shift and that it is part of our job to sell this to customers. While I understand that it's to convince customers to want to come back, I feel like we are having to berate these customers. From what I understand, if we continuously do not hit our quota, we will have to go to meetings on how to sell this. If this fails, they would let us go. Plan to work most holidays (not just exclusive to CPK, however).

Advice to Management

While I understand that Pizza Dough gives to the guests, the way in which we are made to push them on the guests makes me a bit bitter about it.

10. lots of management issus

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen part-time

Pros

If the store is one that generates a lot of sales, tips are good.

Cons

Things may have changed since it's been quite some time since I worked there, but when I was there, there were lots of management issues. The company had been in trouble for making workers work through lunch without pay and was forced to pay them back, the management was micromanaging much for for no reason and was setting quotas for selling their new products. There were also issues about long-time employees getting their hours cut.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage as much. California Pizza Kitchen is supposed to have a "laid back" atmosphere and forcing servers to constantly "push" products at customers because they're trying to meet quotas creates a less comfortable work atmosphere and dining experience for customers instead of just letting the server make genuine suggestions.

11. cpk work experiance

I have been working at California Pizza Kitchen part-time

Pros

flexible hours good job to have during school

Cons

food service, people are grumpy when they are hungry

RSS Feed </> Embed