California State University, Northridge Reviews

71 reviews filtered by
3.8
California State University, Northridge President & CEO Dr. Dianne F. Harrison
Dr. Dianne F. Harrison

Pros
  • The University offer great benefits to it's employees (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility, work-life balance is good, benefits (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are part time, you feel as though you are an afterthought (in 3 reviews)

• Only con is that pubic sector jobs when the economy is down, tend to have several budget cuts (in 2 reviews)

1. Editor, Photographer, Reporter, Contributor

I worked at California State University, Northridge

Pros

The Pros of working here is that you learn different and new skills because you do work in an environment where people know how to do different things. One also learns to manage and organize better.

Cons

The cons about the Sundial is that the job is very time consuming, there are no health related benefits, and sometimes you will have long nights.

2. Computer Lab Technician

Current Employee - Computer Lab Technician in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Technician in Northridge, CA

I have been working at California State University, Northridge part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Developed a good work ethic. Plenty of opportunities to increase roles that might relate to your study of field. Handled schedules and conflicts in a real world setting. Monthly evaluation to let you know how your doing.

Cons

Sometimes can be too friendly of an environment. Pay

3. Neutral experience as a tutor for the engineering department.

Former Employee - Tutor in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Northridge, CA

I worked at California State University, Northridge part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed having flexible hours during the week and had reasonable pay as a tutor for one of the programs of the engineering department.

Cons

Could only work ten hours a week maximum so it was limited pay and had to drive out for weekly meetings on Fridays for an hour, and since I only had a set number of hours and lived far away it was a pain to drive all the way out to the valley.

It would have been nice to have more hours and to have meetings during Monday through Thursday. The time sheets were a little confusing as well.

5. It's cushier than more adjunct jobs at community colleges.

Current Employee - Semester-by-semester Faculty in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Semester-by-semester Faculty in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at California State University, Northridge part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of campus resources to support you with your courses and with regulating student conduct, a diverse body of students, and a gorgeous campus.

Cons

For semester by semester faculty, no job security, your chances of getting a spring class depend on your likability and who you know in the department.

Especially for dwindling departments, give semester-by-semester faculty more than one type of course to help generate some interest in the field. It's hard to get students interested enough in a subject to minor or major in when they only get to take one class with you.

6. Radiologic Technologist Student

I worked at California State University, Northridge

Pros

Access to many well-known hospitals: UCLA, USC Outpatient, Northridge Hospital, Valley Presbyterian, Providence Holy Cross, Veteran's Affairs West LA, Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital.

Director goes above and beyond to help all students succeed in program.

Cons

No compensation for gas expenses during internship. Lots of busy work, inexperienced instructors with uninteresting lectures that do not engage/motivate students to learn.

7. Paid the bills but horribly boring and not a learning experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant Web Developer in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant Web Developer in Northridge, CA

I worked at California State University, Northridge

Pros

Compensation, benefits for full time

Cons

People do not care about their work
    Cubicle Environment

Start caring about your employees. Absolutely no communication from the bottom to the top

8. Great learning environment, with many opportunities and awesome staff.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at California State University, Northridge

Pros

The staff is very supportive and provide ample opportunities for student employees to grow and develop their career paths. The work environment is relaxed, and there is a strong sense of community that is very welcoming to new employees.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this organization. I have had an awesome experience working here and I have also been given great opportunities to grow and advance in my department.

9. I love the people I work with!

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Northridge, CA

Pros

Very Flexible with school schedule!
    Very friendly people! I will be sad when I graduate and have to quit.
    I am thankful for this position. It has put me close to some very important people in the university!

Cons

Gets kind of boring.
    I wish I was making more money. But what can you really expect from any student assistant job.

10. Education- Most Stable and Low Stress places to work

Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in Northridge, CA
    Former Contractor - User Experience Designer in Northridge, CA

I worked at California State University, Northridge as a contractor

Pros

I used to work for the Academic Affairs Department. The office culture there is amazing. You get complete autonomy to complete your assigned tasks as long as it's done by the end of business day. No one hounds over your back to make sure your tasks get complete. They give you complete trust right off the bat unless you break it. People there are very oriented towards one goal: giving university students the best service they can get possible. They are extremely flexible with hours; they will let you make up hours if you missed any. They are extremely understanding if you have a medical condition, or a family situation. They won't threaten to fire you like most private companies would just because you had to take off urgently. Compensation was decent, it's a public sector, don't expect crazy high incomes, but decent enough to make a living off of. It's a low stress environment and usually stable as long as the university has money to keep everyone at their jobs

Cons

Only con is that pubic sector jobs when the economy is down, tend to have several budget cuts. Make sure to work in a department that won't be affected by budget cuts when the economy is down. My position was cut mainly because there was no more budget to keep my and other people's positions going.

11. Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at California State University, Northridge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with a lot of wonderful people. The benefits are GREAT. You will not find benefits better than the University in the SFV. The location is prime, as it is close to anything you may want, and you are very stable in your job. Rarely do people get fired unless they are temporary positions. Also, the parking is cheap comparable to other places.

Cons

The University is highly disorganized, promotions are rare and take time, not lucrative for most, the culture on campus is negative and full of self-hate.

A University is still a business, so if someone is going above and beyond, you must reward them.

California State University, Northridge Photos