California State University

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy P. White

Good place to work but don't expect much perks.

Info Tech (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I have been working at California State University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge well known institution. Fairly stable and secure if you have been here for a while. Good people. Good long term benefits. Depending on your management, you can be flexible or not.

ConsUse bad CA budget as excuse for not giving raises in the past 5 or so years even if you are good worker. Telecommuting is discouraged. Limit expenses on little things for lower regular people but not for management.

It was Great

Data Center Assistant (Current Employee)
Fullerton, CA

I have been working at California State University part-time for more than a year

ProsLearn new things in which you adapt yourself to latest technology.

ConsGraveyard shifts were annoying. Rest day shifts are cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore meetings :)

Wonderful place to work if you are looking to do your job and go home. Pay and title will pretty much stay the same

I have been working at California State University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbenefits: retirement, education fee waivers, health care. Good work life balance. Great vacation time. Good mission.

Consbureaucracy, low pay, hard to advance, work with very smart people who have no common sense

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more emphasis on developing people within the organization. The mediocre people become "lifers" and the good people leave because there is little advancement opportunity.

good

I have been working at California State University

ProsNone, everything is good here

Consgood Everything is good here

Frozen in Time

Associate Professor (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at California State University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRight now, you can get away with a schedule teaching 2 days a week, and be away from this hell hole for the rest of the time (even though you will do plenty of work at home, if you're not on campus, it never ceases!)

ConsShitty salary. And there haven't been any raises in 6 years. And our idiot union even decided to give up on step increases altogether, meaning you will only get two raises of 7.5% each, one with each of two promotions, throughout your entire career. Considering our graduates typically earn more than they pay us, and cost of living is continuing to skyrocket, this is untenable. A lot of good people leave, and a lot of complacent people stay. If good people stay too long, they end up just not caring. Want to go to a conference? Try waiting six months (or longer!) for your travel reimbursement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive faculty a big raise this year! Start taking into cost of living: big difference between San Francisco or San Jose and Chico. Have a structured salary scale, with definitive steps.

NIce and friendly place to work

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee)
Fullerton, CA

Prosas a public university it has a lot of benefit to work here

Consthey don't pay much and they only pay the minimum

Advice to Senior Managementincrease the employee's salary

Good Place to work

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsAcademic setting, Vibrant environment, Good work life balance

ConsLow salary, Low salary, low salary

its good to be here

Student Assistant (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA

Prosgood culture and values

ConsCost of living is expensive

Exploiting instructors for years

Tenured Professor (Current Employee)

I have been working at California State University full-time

ProsGreat education facilities
Strong student body

ConsPart-time instructors are overused in order to keep costs low and to avoid having to deal with union benefits for full-time instructors.

Also, the Cal State policy on health care insurance is broken--or at least is easily exploited by departments (with the direct knowledge of deans and higher in mgmt.) If you teach 2 classes one semester, you can get health insurance--a big deal given the Obamacare problems in roll out. If your classes drop to 1 for a semester (something that a part-time instructor has no control over), you suddenly lose the health insurance. If it goes back up to 2, you can get it again.

This creates a scenario where instructors can (and HAVE) gained insurance, then lost it, then gained it again, then lost it. By the time you apply and wait for the month to turn over so you are covered, you can literally have insurance for 3 months and then lose it again. An absolutely TRAVESTY of a policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your part-time instructors like indentured slaves

THE PAY IS ****!

Full Time Lecturer (Current Employee)

ProsI like the job, good department, good colleagues. I enjoy teaching.

ConsThe pay is insulting. $52,000/year for a Ph.D. with 10 years teaching experience. I have to work at another local community college, and teach 3-4 classes over summer, just to support my family. (We have a toddler, mom is stay-at-home, only my income; we have $130,000 in student debt, plus mortgage, personal loans, insurance, taxes, etc.) I am applying to teach at community colleges, which pay a living salary, asap. I literally can't survive here. Either one of 3 things will happen: 1. I'll get a CCC job, 2. I'll quit the extra work and we'll go bankrupt, or 3. I'll run away and join the funny farm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay faculty more, and fire administrators, who are mostly incompetent or redundant.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for California State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at California State University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for California State University CEO Timothy P. White. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by California State University employees.