California Sun Centers Reviews

1. Hard work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Sun Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, nice manager and shift lead. Free tanning and nice customers.

Cons

Rude customers, a lot of cleaning, opening and closing, pushed to sell a lot and hours depend on sales.

Advice to Management

better pay than minimum wage.

2. Fun Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at California Sun Centers (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun fast-paced atmosphere, not a hard job and you get commission.

Cons

Your hours depend on your sales.

3. Salon Manager/Human Resources

I worked at California Sun Centers full-time

Pros

Free tanning for salon managers and corporate employees. Not a bad base pay for managers when I started. Although before I left the company they were hiring new managers and starting them off a couple dollars less than months prior.

Cons

There are so many cons to working with this company it is hard to list them all. I would say the biggest problem with the company is the Blores, the family who owns the company. After being a salon manager I was invited to work in the corporate office to help with the hiring for the company. I was excited but quickly learned my opinion did not matter. In HR meetings the owner of the company Mike Blore told me I could not hire overweight, or unattractive,or black people even though we were always understaffed company wide. These poor girls in the salons get paid minimum wage and have little training or hours but worst than that they are treated unfairly by district managers and the owners. The owners believe their employees are all out to get them and will fire them for almost nothing., like bringing a purse or cell phone into work. They are not allowed at Cal Sun! When I worked at the corporate office the employees were excited to get an Xmas bonus. A couple of employees were brought into the back of the corporate office by the owner Mike Blore and were accused of stealing $1000 out of his wife's wallet. This was crazy because there are cameras all over the corporate office and Ashleigh Blore is a space cadet who could easily misplace cash. Also, that amount of $ is nothing to this family. Instead of calling it a lost and still respecting employees they accused innocent people and took everyone in the offices bonus away that year. Some employees were even questioned by the police. It was later revealed that the Blores finally checked their office cameras and their 9yr old boy took the money from his moms wallet without asking. No apology was made and no bonuses were received. I have a lot more examples but those stick out the most. Don't waste your life and get a job with such a bad company. Almost any other company is better than Cal Sun.

5. Floor Staff

Former Employee - Floor Staff in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Staff in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The only real pro about working at this job are the customers, some can be mean sometimes but getting the regulars and having small talk with them was the highlight of the shift You can EASILY get hired, they hire pretty much anyone, so it is insanely easy to get a job if you are looking for one. Also the co workers you get are a great element of the job. You do get lazy people but people quit so quickly that it doesn't really affect you in the long run. This would be a great first job for someone to get a little work experience on their resume.

Cons

There are way too many to count but some of the notable cons are the hours you get. The hours you get each week are based off the amount of sales you make, that is really easy if you get a lot of new customers who didn't own tanning lotion but it was brutal for the repeat customers. It is very hard to sell someone another bottle of lotion when they have a ton already. On a regular basis you close the shop alone so there is always that worry of someone robbing you, which did happen to two other stores while I worked there. Also for the amount they pay you per hour is not justifiable for the amount of work they require of you. Management comes down on you really hard for your lack of sales and that seems to be the only thing they care about instead of actually caring about you as the person and training you better. Not to mention that every past employee who still came in to tan would always talk crap about the company and previous management which you will soon come to realize after you leave the job. They really take advantage of the people who work hard and reward the slackers who don't do any other facet of their job besides sale lotion. They have an insane turnover rate and no wonder that is the case. Oh and if you stay there for longer then 5 months ( which makes you seniority, sadly enough) you can get the option to be promoted to trainer, but don't get too excited about that because they don't give you any pay increase, so you are getting paid the same as a regular floor staff if your new hires don't pan out and stay for a certain period of time.

Advice to Management

Management thinks trying to bribe you with gift cards and lotion samples will make the customer want to buy lotion, not the case. Stop being so absent from the stores and only let yourself be known when the end of the night comes and you call to say that Michael Blore is on your back about sales...that changes nothing. Tell upper management to stop spending so much money on stupid commercials and radio air time and just pay your employees a little more money and maybe invest that money for more frequent training instead. Stop hiring people from the outside to become manager, they have no clue how difficult the job is and they eventually quit. There were many many managers that couldn't take it and moved along.

6. NOT WHAT I EXPECTED

I have been working at California Sun Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work alone Customers are amazing All access to tanning

Cons

Upper management are rude Maintenance is lazy Little to no employees working Sales goal are shoved down your throat You work 7 days a week still not hitting 40 hours Pay is little to nothing , Not the best company to work for Defintely not what I expected and I will be looking else wear to manage

Advice to Management

Actually be about your lower management team help them where they struggle and quit looking down on them as if there peasants

7. Best job until management change.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at California Sun Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was an amazing job, free tanning , customers that came in were all very thankful and fun to chat with, you work alone and do your own thing for example no ones over your shoulder every minute telling you what to do. For the few minutes you talk and pick up your associates shift , they're super sweet and friendly. :)

Cons

Anyone above you (route driver , manager , people at corporate) will treat you like absolute sh**. Managers are very rude and push sales down your throat , and everyone you talk to with any type of power won't make friendly conversation and will give you the cold shoulder.

Advice to Management

DONT HIRE MANAGERS THAT TREAT THEIR ASSOCIATES LIKE PEASENTS.

8. Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at California Sun Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

free tanning clients are very nice

Cons

expect to work 0-10 hours a week if you don't meet sales, you don't work. managers play favorites place seems nice at first,but employees are poorly trained high turn over rate

Advice to Management

Train your staff correctly, listen to your customers.

9. All about SALES!

Pros

The company will pay you to attend there sales classes and you get a lot of down time throughout your shifts because tanning isn't a very popular hobby these days. You pretty much take your lunch when ever you want and the company works well with your schedule if you have a second job or are in school.

Cons

If you can't handle the heat, don't waste your time. This company if HUGE on sales and if you aren't in company standards you will be coached.

Advice to Management

I think management here is great, but I do feel like the associates should have more flexibility with the uniform policy. I also think that associates shouldn't get chews out for having bad sales especially when it's slow season and nobody really wants to spend 50-100$ on lotion.

10. Not what I expected...

I have been working at California Sun Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers are probably the best part of the job. They come in almost everyday excited to be there. They're fun, and funny, and you get to know some really awesome people. California Sun also has a great product to offer. They really do have the best beds in the business coupled with amazing lotions and cute clothes gives you a sense of pride in what you're offering the public.

Cons

I was offered a salon manager position with the promise of full time work, and benefits after 90-days. However, despite making my schedules every week, I never received the full time hours promised when I signed my offer. Upper management is uncaring. They don't help with issues, and provide very little guidance or training. But, you are expected to perform to a high level which, more often than not, is unknown. Sales are they're primary form of performance evaluation. You can be your customer's favorite salon, and favorite associate, but if your sales are low, you'll get the cold shoulder. Salon managers are expected to drop everything for their salon. You're on call during all business hours. And if someone is sick on your team, you're expected to cover, no mater what. It's a physically demanding job, with tanning being the only perk. The pay is very low, and you rarely, if ever, get praise for a job well done. Some might consider it a modern form of slavery. No wonder they have one of the highest attrition rates in California.

Advice to Management

Management training would be my recommendation. It was my experience that upper management thought their teams were guilty until proven innocent, and expected the worst even if it wasn't merited. In my opinion, it's best to partner with your teams and give them the benefit of the doubt until they no longer deserve it. I often felt belittled, and preyed upon in my position; like I was easily replaced, and not an asset. That's a horrible feeling to experience everyday. Management should work on follow through and dependability. It's important to be the example, then you'll get the same from your team. It's hard to expect to get your team in the office everyday and ready to work, if you never do what you promise!

RSS Feed </> Embed