California Sun Centers

Not what I expected...

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California Sun Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

The customers are probably the best part of the job. They come in almost everyday excited to be there. They're fun, and funny, and you get to know some really awesome people. California Sun also has a great product to offer. They really do have the best beds in the business coupled with amazing lotions and cute clothes gives you a sense of pride in what you're offering the public.

Cons

I was offered a salon manager position with the promise of full time work, and benefits after 90-days. However, despite making my schedules every week, I never received the full time hours promised when I signed my offer.

Upper management is uncaring. They don't help with issues, and provide very little guidance or training. But, you are expected to perform to a high level which, more often than not, is unknown. Sales are they're primary form of performance evaluation. You can be your customer's favorite salon, and favorite associate, but if your sales are low, you'll get the cold shoulder.

Salon managers are expected to drop everything for their salon. You're on call during all business hours. And if someone is sick on your team, you're expected to cover, no mater what.

It's a physically demanding job, with tanning being the only perk. The pay is very low, and you rarely, if ever, get praise for a job well done. Some might consider it a modern form of slavery. No wonder they have one of the highest attrition rates in California.

Management training would be my recommendation. It was my experience that upper management thought their teams were guilty until proven innocent, and expected the worst even if it wasn't merited. In my opinion, it's best to partner with your teams and give them the benefit of the doubt until they no longer deserve it.

I often felt belittled, and preyed upon in my position; like I was easily replaced, and not an asset. That's a horrible feeling to experience everyday.

Management should work on follow through and dependability. It's important to be the example, then you'll get the same from your team. It's hard to expect to get your team in the office everyday and ready to work, if you never do what you promise!

Worked for California Sun Centers? Contribute to the Community!