California's Great America

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Raul Rehnberg

Pros
  • Fun environment, friendly co-workers, got to interact with the guests, and get to make them scream or laugh (in 3 reviews)

• Interact with a lot of people so you build your communication skills (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • safety is not a priority, paid minimum wage, supervisors too underpaid to care about quality of their work (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours requiring physical dedication (in 5 reviews)

1. Halloween Haunt Talent Review

Current Employee - Halloween Haunt-hauntee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Halloween Haunt-hauntee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at California's Great America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of People to work with. Unique Costumes. Various encounters with guests. Great Supervisors.

Cons

Can be very tiring for extended periods of time. Some of the guests can become violent when startled.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for the management. It was great until the job ended.

2. Awesome

I worked at California's Great America

Pros

fun, diverse staff, great managemnet

Cons

adaptation, and the opportuites for change were limited

Advice to Management

good job

3. Ride Operator Experience

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at California's Great America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours if requested correctly and beforehand Free park admission and park tickets Special park events for associates (ran by supervisors and management) and a friend

Cons

Short hours to prevent overtime Uninterested associates, who negatively affect work environment Boring, required to do the same shift until break/lunch time

Advice to Management

Please give us longer hours -- I don't see the point of a 4 hour shift. Please cycle us between the different jobs. Sitting at chute for 5 hours gets boring.

Ride Operator

Former Employee - Ride Operator in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in San Jose, CA

I worked at California's Great America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with on the same level are ok.

Cons

All promotions based on who is liked not who works hard. The 5 min walk to the lunch room not being paid as well as the 5 min walk back so you really only have a 20 min lunch. Overtime being taken away which is against the law and they are being sued over. People in leadership don't know how to lead they just blame other people who have no control over the outcome of events when they go wrong. only getting 4 hour shifts then being told to go home after one or two hours due no customers or over staffing.

Advice to Management

Grow up and act like adults.

Horrible horrible place to work

I worked at California's Great America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- none other than some money but even that was only a little amount

Cons

- i ended up somehow having a 10 hour shift everyday - on my second day, i had to go without taking my breaks because i was the only one working despite not knowing how to work most of the cooking machines yet. i also had to sign the break sheet saying i had taken my breaks because the managers kept switching out and the one who was there at the end of my shift was not the one there at the beginning - NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE TIPS - i was not given any training despite having gone to the training course before having begun working there - safety and cleanliness is an all time low. i saw one of my coworkers drop a piece of chicken on the floor and put it back into a tray to serve to someone - i had requested with my shift manager to cut some of my hours so i could have time for summer school in the morning and she told me she would talk to me before she left. as i was working, i turned around and saw her leave through the door with all of her things and she didn't come back - extremely uncomfortable uniforms, especially the hats that leave marks on your head and sweat lines

Advice to Management

fix up your safety and cleanliness standards monitor your managers better clear the amount of hours you give an employee with them before they work TRAIN YOUR NEW EMPLOYEES

7. CA Great America

I worked at California's Great America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good first job for teenagers. Lots of hours and a lot of supervision.

Cons

As a merchandise associate you are supposed to be on your feet for

Not as "Great" behind closed doors

I have been working at California's Great America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fun coworkers and they're mostly college aged and high school aged, which is good for teenagers. -It's nice to see families, friends, and kids having fun. -Good if you go to school and have vacation over summer.

Cons

-It feels like Big Brother is watching you all the time. There's always upper management, a secret shopper, or an audit to catch you doing something wrong. -You get infractions for petty reasons. Like for example, I got an infraction for having a phone in my pocket. I never took out the phone, I didn't have a locker or a lock to put my items so I had to put it in my pocket. -The supervisors can be rude and unappreciative. -Some ungrateful and impatient guests.

Advice to Management

It's not surprising that most of your employees are unhappy. Cashiers like me are always afraid of upper management. We always have to stress about secret shoppers and audits and deal with customers on top of that. You people need to compliment your workers as much as you criticize them. You also need to train your new employees better, rather than throwing them at the cashier system, like they did to me. Happy employees are better workers.

9. great place to work

I have been working at California's Great America full-time

Pros

Boss's yeast people with respect

Cons

Long drive to and from Stockton

Sales Lead

Former Employee - Sales Lead in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in San Jose, CA

I worked at California's Great America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chill job. Ultimately, there weren't a whole lot of responsibilities and you got paid to basically watch a shop.

Cons

Management was a hot mess. Management had seemingly no idea or concept of acceptable business practices (or, if they were aware of them, they chose to ignore them). It was a frequent occurrence for management to yell at associates for "not doing their job" (although, in reality, it's more likely that they weren't informed in the first place). Instead of a positive work environment, management casually threw around the threat of "write ups" and termination as if it were a joke to them. Definitely a hostile work environment. Also, nepotism and favouritism run rampant within the management structure and they make no effort to hide it, either.

Advice to Management

I know you probably couldn't care less about your associates, but at least pretend like you do. Also, learn your labour laws.

11. Food Associate

I have been working at California's Great America

Pros

-You get to meet a lot of new people -Friendly atmosphere to work out

Cons

-Minimum wage -Feet can get tired of standing or walking around too much

Advice to Management

Please give us better pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed