California's Great America

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Raul Rehnberg

Screwed due to management's poor budgeting and planning.

Seasonal Dancer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe actual job has the potential to be rewarding

Cons-Promised extra hours for a long day, was instead given a 3 hour lunch to avoid overtime
    -Rehearsal days cut short with little to no notice. Instead of going to lunch, they sent us home.
    -Changed my position from a principal dancer to a swing (a sub for when a principle can't perform). They claimed it was an artistic choice for the show, but I believe this was due to the difference in cost between paying me $15/hr to perform or paying someone else the entry level rate of $12.75/hr.
    -Management and HR unresponsive to concerns.

Management has repeatedly displayed poor decision making skills. At my initial audition in Fall of 2013, I was cut along with 5 other dancers and told we were being hired for a "Top Secret Show" and that the rest of the dancers were continuing with the audition to be considered for a different show. A week later, instead of the job offer email I was told to expect, I received a callback notice, because plans had changed for the "Top Secret Show" and they wanted me to go back to re-audition for the other show. Another performer had a similar experience. They said they wanted to hire her as an actor, then they wanted to hire her as a specialty act instead. Then they didn't have the budget for the specialty act and had already given away her actor position, which left her with no job offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful with your budgeting and don't promise more than you can afford to pay. Or take some responsibility when you make a mistake instead of blaming it on the employee.

It was okay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got discounted tickets to the park.

ConsThe supervisor was really strict and kept correcting my mistakes in a not friendly manner. He was abusing his power.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be nicer to workers. I miss Paramount Great America.

First job experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsYou get to interact with a lot of people

ConsYou receive extremely low pay. minimum wage starting.
    bad management.
    bad customers.y

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing a great job for managing a bunch of high school kids. Keep an eye out on your leads and supervisors because they can be very immature.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay

Ride Operator (Former Employee)

ProsIt doesn't take much experience to get a job here. Great for high school students.

ConsYou could use more working hours sometimes.

It was...eh?

Market Researcher (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsYou will make a lot of friends (if you are a teenager). You get cash bonuses if you work in marketing. A lot of the supervisors are "chill".

ConsCommute can take awhile. It can also be costly. Some supervisors are harsh. Jobs in marketing come with short lunches/breaks.

Decent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun environment easy job decent room for growth

Consmanagement was very cliquey, tough to move up if you're not in with the crowd

associate impressions

Admissions Associate (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIt is a very well-organized company. The rules are clearly stated at orientation and they are adhered to. You knw where you stand with them. You can apply for transfer and promotion in a simple way.

ConsDealing with some of the managers/supervisors can be difficult as they don't all see the specific situation, but instead just quote the company policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at each situation as an individual one and apply the company policy that will get the best outcome for all involved. That would develop company loyalty.

Worked serving food in one of the restaurants

Food Service (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat high school job to make some dough
    Employees are interesting to work with
    Great source of work experience if you have none

ConsLong hours requiring physical dedication.
    Lunch must be purchased on your own salary.
    No further opportunities for future career development

Severely underpaid lifeguards, not properly trained

Shallow/Deep Lifeguard (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosfree admission
    work outside
    40 hrs/week as a lifeguard during the summer

Cons8.75/hr compared to 12.00+/hr that is standard for other lifeguarding positions.
    very strenuous work schedule
    CPR/first aid training was rushed, seemed incomplete, and doesn't transfer anywhere outside of CA's Great America

also worked as a rides operator (briefly). safety is not a priority, paid minimum wage, supervisors too underpaid to care about quality of their work

Fun, demanding and relaxed

Park Services (Former Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsDiscounted prices, free tickets and working with great coworkers

ConsHours, physically demanding and environment

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking to each employee, add variety to food and music.

Worked for California's Great America? Contribute to the Community!