Calkins Media Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

2.4

Mark G. Contreras

They're clearly doing something right...

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Calkins Media as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Smart, hard-working, dedicated co-workers. Many of the employees have literally been with the company since before I was born! And I was born in the 1970s... so, that alone tells you that there's something great about this company.

They're always looking for ways to improve their publications, and allow for input from employees, which is refreshing.

The level of creativity that is allowed is almost unheard of anywhere else I have worked. And, although this might sound a bit bland to some I have to say that these are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I didn't really ever have to deal with any of that unnecessary catty office nonsense that is so prevalent in an office environment.

Cons

The facilities are a bit, shall I say, old-fashioned? On my first impression, I swore I was about to see Clark Kent and Lois Lane sitting there behind typewriters... and that the office would be filled with people smoking cigarettes – based on the old-school look & feel (and smell) of the building and facilities. It smells extremely musty/moldy (like old wet carpeting) and becomes highly annoying if you're sensitive to smells.

It seems that there are a few too many layers of management which can lead to a bit of miscommunication at times.

Also, they seem to fear any amount of confrontation. If it needs to be dealt with, it will be handled with pure passive-aggression, which isn't a plus. People will just avoid you instead of confronting the issue and that serves no purpose whatsoever for anyone involved.

Please just be honest, open and up-front with your employees/contractors. Don't be afraid of them and don't mislead them or make up excuses to avoid having to deal with anything that might take you out of your comfort zone.

Calkins Media

I have been working at Calkins Media as a contractor

Pros

Easy comfortable work environment and friendly people.

Cons

The smell when it got hot out side because of the near by land fill.

Keep doing what your doing

Communication company horrible in communication

I have been working at Calkins Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When your shift is over

Cons

No room for personal growth. No raise in 10 years. Bosses manually changing timecards and fixing hours for employees who don't work their full-time hours. Too many employees not doing their work and others having too much work to pick up the slack. Horrible morale!

Consider having other managers from other departments manage timecards, too many fixing of hours for friends. Look at the workload of the employees, when someone leaves, rehire to fill the void. Too many overworked and angry employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HORRIBLE experience. RUN AWAY from this company!!!!!

I worked at Calkins Media

Pros

The offer employment to select people/personalities. The meek & the mild, essentially.

Cons

Absolute worst of the worst places I have worked. A psudo news, politically correct media outlet. Atmosphere is negative, degrading, and repressed. Office culture is different rules for different people, and special rules for the chosen boot-lickers. Professionals have NO place here. Ever changing negative dynamics. No follow-thru. This is where creativity goes to die. Minimal pay for expected maximum effort. NO pay raises. NO room to grow. 10% pay cut. Inferior benefits for a superior premium price. Pet projects reign supreme. Meat & Potato money generating newsroom consistently gets the shaft. RIDICULOUSNESS. MISMANAGEMENT. The company is quite obviously sinking. RUN AWAY FROM THIS HOUSE OF INCOMPETENCE!!!!!

Re-think your managers. Utilize stealth and track your overstaffed, under-performing night U-Desk. The manager manages thru fear and passive-aggression, takes some of the staff to the bar (Buffalo Wild Wings) on most Friday nights on company time, and chooses her pet boot-lickers. Disgusting abuse of power. This is ONE example why this company will NEVER excel. INCOMPETENCE!!!

Growing stages

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Calkins Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance mostly. As long as you are making budget goals, the job is enjoyable.
    Company is constantly investing in new resources.

Cons

Can be stressful during a down economy

More communication between departments, especially from upper management

Even more disappointed by the day.

I have been working at Calkins Media full-time

Pros

The only pros to working here is leaving at the end of the day.

Cons

I've worked here for a number of years now and was with this company when they were raking in the money (early 2000's). Everyone in the company (except upper management I'm assuming) received a 10% pay cut in 2008. Since then we have gotten 3% of that back. Which I'm thankful for. About 2 years ago now they did a buyout where if you had a certain amount of years with the company you had the option to leave with a severance package. Since then they have hired for probably close to 10 management/ upper management positions. All with salaries of 60,000/year and up. Right now they are hiring for a "group controller" which has to be a 6-figure job. Where is our money? In the part of the company I work for we are now producing 3 newspapers on the same salary that we were getting for producing 1 newspaper.

Be respectful to the people to got you where you are today. Help us out instead of giving all of the money we deserve to these others. It isn't fair.

The first 14 years were very pleasurable.

I worked at Calkins Media full-time

Pros

Under the Publisher for the first 14 years I was able to multi-task. He also gave me work and knew that I would follow through without anyone having to overlook my work. Most of the time I had the responsibility of managing seven different departments.

Cons

For the 14 years very good. Last few with a new Publisher bad. He was deleting responsibilities of employees to have them retire, leave the company, etc.

Beware of how you treat your employees. They are out in the public and if not happy they make it known.

Typical Newspaper Company

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Levittown, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Levittown, PA

I have been working at Calkins Media

Pros

Much freedom to bring ideas to the table and to implement them if they are deemed to be a revenue-generator. Good respect paid to work/life balance, treatment of employees and overall, good benefits package.

Cons

The internet division is creative and could thrive - if it were run like an internet division and NOT as an offshoot of a newspaper. Not enough support staff given to this segment of the business - and this is the segment that has the most potential for growth. Lately, more and more team members are no longer onboard...and no explanation is given. Very unsettling to those who remain.

Think a bit more outside of the box - there is alot of talent at Calkins that is under-utilized because of a refusal to look at working in a new way.

What Does the Future Hold for Newspapers?

Former Employee - Circulation Manager
    Former Employee - Circulation Manager

I worked at Calkins Media

Pros

This is a family owned newspaper business with products in PA, NJ and FL that has an excellent record of being profitable. They seem to plan capital improvements with very little (if any) debt with a clear sense of how to grow the company. There is genuine concern for their role in their communities and volunteerism among employees is rewarded.

Cons

The pay scales are not competitive with other newspapers in the Philly area, such as the Courier Post, The Times (of Trenton) and the Philadelphia Inquirer/Daily News (now in bankruptcy). The employee pension plans have been frozen or eliminated for new hires. The majority of employment is part-time and limited to less than 1,000 hours per year to avoid giving benefits to those employees.

There has always been an atmosphere of fear in Calkins management when unions are mentioned. The company communications policies were instituted to forestall any need for employees to unionize to be heard; this was done at a time when all the surrounding newspapers were unionized. This worked because even though Calkins pay and benefits were less than the unionized newspapers, the work environment was more relaxed and innovative. Ad revenue has been disappearing for some time, circulation (readership) numbers are dropping and the sense that the end of newspapers is upon us is palpable - employees are tense, stressed and overworked, and the pay and benefits are still less than the other newspapers. Either do what is right and give your remaining employees the pay and benefits they deserve for their hard work and commitment (and if necessary reinvent yourself) or if that is not fiscally possible, close your doors and end the slow and lingering death of your business.

Worked for Calkins Media? Contribute to the Community!