CallTower

2.6

Bret England

Company in Start-Up Mode

I have been working at CallTower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great technology and product.
    New opportunities with white label and channel sales.
    Exciting place to work with opportunity for growth.
    Hard-working employees - new and old.
    People very willing to help each other, even if it is not "their job".

A lot of hard work is required right now, but there is also a lot of excitement in working at a place that is growing. I would rather have too much work than not enough and look at lay-offs.

Cons

No 40 hour weeks or work/life balance.
    Processes need to be updated to match workload and efficiencies need to be found.
    Need more developers.

Comments on social media are damaging company and employee reputation. This needs to stop. Both "old-time" and new employees are hard working and in some cases process and efficiency changes need to happen.

Coach employees and help them build skills instead of making them feel "not good enough". Invest in development team (more!) to get new products to market sooner as well as help improve internal workflow through technology updates.

Great company with huge growth potential, sour grapes trying to ruin it

I have been working at CallTower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Great employees - current employees and new employees are top of the line and come with value added experience and knowledge that continue to raise the bar for the company in it's hiring and performance.

* Great growth potential - selected by several larger organizations (even Tier 1 carriers) to provide white label services for hosted UC, huge growth in the telecom Channel and enterprise size direct opportunities put this company in a position to soar over the next few years.

* Great outlook - employees are provided ownership options, allowing each employee to be an owner of the company. If the potential spoken of above realizes (and it has been doing so to date), each employee stands to make a good payout if/when the company goes public or sales.

* Smart management - management, especially the CEO, has taken CallTower from a little known, stagnant growth organization two years ago to a major player in many arenas. The penetration in the channel due to the smart hiring of an experienced VP of Channel Sales has poised CallTower to grow. Taking risks and putting CallTower in a position to provide white label services to much larger organizations has brought this smaller organization into the mix on large enterprise deployments where it would not have had a place in the past.

Cons

Really, the biggest cons in working at CallTower so far have been in dealing with employees that are great people, but don't have the work ethic or discipline to handle the current growth that we are experiencing. That is evident in some of the reviews on this site. Employees who have worked at CallTower for more than 2 years experienced a company that was happy with the mundane and stagnant growth. Work your 40 hours, go home and be complacent in your job. What CallTower has seen over the past two years is a change in management that has led CallTower to record sales quarters, quarter after quarter. This, of course, translates to more work for all, longer hours as the company balances growth and revenue with hiring and personnel, and a review of key positions and personnel to make sure the company can scale as needed to meet the demands of the growth. Employees, current and former, that are not comfortable with this growth, are contributing to poor morale, backbiting against senior management and poor reviews on this site that are written in an attempt to sink a company due to personal vendetta against a single person, in most cases the CEO.

To those who are reading these posts, if the previous employees that posted the derogatory remarks were honest about the great friends and employees that they worked with, they would have been more careful to not attack the company as a whole and put the jobs of their friends at risk. That speaks to their integrity and should be considered when reading those reviews. A company that has been selected by much larger organizations to be the white label provider of their hosted UC services must not be that bad of a company with the horrible management that is suggested. Those large companies do their due diligence.

The only other con that I can list here is that CallTower needs to be careful in defining it's business objectives. We are running too many directions right now and if not reined in and prioritized, we could find ourselves spread too thin to meet the growth we are seeing.

CallTower needs to define it's growth and business models and stick to the decisions. We are experts in certain areas, but not in others. We should focus on the strengths and put our resources in that, even if that means letting some sources of revenue go to partners/other vendors who are better poised to meet those needs.

The end is near...

I worked at CallTower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees (at least the ones that were left) was the only good thing about CallTower. They had some of the greatest employees.

Cons

Upper management and CEO are at a low. The CEO seems to find pleasure belittling employees, making large meetings and conference calls very uncomfortable (whether happening to you or another employee). There is no trust for the work being performed by the employees. When the CEO has it out for an employee, consider yourself gone (legal or not, it happens). There is a lot of 'hiring my friends from college, hiring a neighbor' going on here.
    40 hour work weeks are a dream that never happens. You are expected to answer emails and calls on off hours, weekends, and the middle of the night if necessary. Deadlines on items are irrational.
    Someone else had mentioned all the positive comments on here were fabricated. This is absolutely true. It wouldn't surprise me if the CEO wrote them himself. There is definitely something 'off' with him.

A new CEO is needed. One that has working knowledge of not only how to treat customers, but how to treat employees as well. One that has even some slight knowledge on what the company does would be beneficial as well. Happy employees make a happy company - and CallTower employees are not happy.

Calltower: The ship is sinking! Grab a bucket and listen to how great our ship is!

I have been working at CallTower

Pros

• There are paid training opportunities.
    • There are many kind people throughout various departments that are willing to teach.

Cons

• There is a lot of talk about growth potential but it simply does not exist. Lousy managers make pigeonholing par for the course. Managers will tell you that they're going to bat for you but they are the people preventing your growth.
    • Management believes that they cannot afford to lose employees in departments so employees are bled dry.
    • Work vs. home balance simply does not exist. This is an environment that if you do not put in the mandatory overtime you will be replaced. Also, that overtime does not pay out time and a half to bring it in compliance with overtime mandates as described by US Department of Labor.
    • The pay is below industry standard for everyone except executives.
    • Promises are made to clients by a sales team that doesn't know the technology that they are selling. There are many examples of deals being made that were impossible from the onset and the customer wasting time and money never having made it through the "on-boarding" process.
    • Middle managers have no real power to direct their teams. Instead of the CEO putting people in those positions based on creativity and effectiveness he puts those people in management positions that offer him no resistance.
    • This 10+ year old company acts as a start up but has none of the potential benefits therein. Calltower will exist as long as treading the waters of being slightly less than average is viable.

I have no advice to management because they have no interest in what the people below them professionally have to say.

Disregard these high reviews, they are commissioned by CEO

I have been working at CallTower

Pros

Ability to actually make a difference, learn a ton, and paid education opporunitities

Cons

Pay well below industry standards, raises are rare, CEO has no idea how to lead a technology company. Focused reducing costs everywhere instead of focusing on the most important thing: the customer. High turnover rate for such a small tech company.

Get rid of the CEO, Bret. He is trying so hard to make the company look good on paper but is driving the company into the ground from the inside out.

Excellent Opportunities

I have been working at CallTower

Pros

CallTower has grown immensely since the time I have been here. At CallTower, you are provided with opportunities that you may not have at other companies. People have ability to learn different areas of the organization. We try our best to operate as one team instead of as separate Silos. We have implemented a lot of programs to make sure that everyone is learning and feels apart of the team such as our culture committee, account ownership program, and quarterly bonus program.

Cons

CEO is passionate but that passion can also cause problems.

Trust the people that you hire to do their job!

Great experience! Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at CallTower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CallTower is great place to work! I have been given opportunity after opportunity to grow my career. Middle managers treat those who they supervise with respect and do everything they can to make your job easier. The CEO has put together a great executive team over the last year, which has made CallTower even better. Great things are really happening for the company with the third quarter of 2013 as proof. The sales team really killed it in the third quarter. All of our customers were migrated to CallTower Connect, our new provisioning portal which one customer called “Bloody awesome!”. The marketing team has totally transformed CallTower’s image. The culture committee has truly made difference in morale from getting free sodas to all the treats each month. The employee appreciation day was one of the highlights of the quarter. All departments have seen new employees added during the year. This is all possible because we have an investor who sees what we are trying to accomplish and believes in us.

Previous posts have criticized our CEO, but what they fail to mention is that the previous management team left CallTower to be sold to the highest bidder. They didn’t believe in CallTower’s future. We owe the company’s survival to our current CEO. He may have his faults (who doesn’t), but his passion for making CallTower great cannot be questioned.

Cons

Communication between the executives and the rest of the company can be better. Communication needs to be better between departments. Senior management needs to get out of the way of the employees and trust us to get the job done. We don’t need to be micromanaged.

Trust those who you have sent to training to do the job right. We need more people in each department to be able to scale for all the growth. You will burn out those who love the company if you don't get them help

Worst company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at CallTower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent base salary, but there really was not anything they could pay to make me go through that all over again.

Cons

I have never been treated this poorly at any company I have ever worked for or been a customer of. The vice president of sales was a vile person and publicly humiliated his sales force that were under producing on a regular basis. I lost commissions because the sales manager couldn't stay on schedule to go to a meeting where I was closing a deal.

My advice would be to get rid of that vice president of sales, but they already did that. There may have been some legal issues surrounding his departure but I only have second hand information on that.

Was once a company with potential, but gross mismanagement sent it spiraling downward

I worked at CallTower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Had a great product set to meet the needs of real business communication problems.
    - Had dynamic leadership, sales, and ops at one time
    - Was early to market and could have commanded the space with enough investment
    - Employees that worked there (at one time) were engaged, excited and committed, and some of the hardest workers I have ever known. That made for a "fun" work environment.

Cons

- Horribly mismanaged company - from the CEO down
    - "Best Buddies" at the exec level were oblivious to customer dissatisfaction, new market entrants flush with capital, employee dissatisfaction, and lacked a desire to conquer the market
    - Constant change of go-to-market strategy alienated existing customer base, scared away potential new customers and tore through employees in a completely demoralizing way
    - Paid well-below market wages at all level (except, I am sure at the exec levels)
    - Very loyal employees at all levels with years of "mindshare" and "tribal knowledge" are treated with utter disdain and disrespect by management
    - Customer service was not focused on customer retention

Understand the real business needs of customers you are trying to sell to. Spend some real money on marketing and re-capture market share. Treat your employees with a modicum of respect. Pay industry wages. Reward hard work.

A great company that went downhill

I have been working at CallTower full-time

Pros

Very good group of employees (not management).

Cons

CEO is a tyrant, very his way or the highway mentality - a terrible personality trait to have when a non-technical person is running a technical company. Not a comfortable person to work with or talk with. Most of upper management are his 'buddies', through college, church, etc.

Treat employees with respect and value their work ethic. CallTower would likely fall without the very small handful that runs the place.