Callaway Golf

www.callawaygolf.com

Callaway Golf Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Callaway Golf – Austin – “Morning Scrum - circa 2007”

Callaway Golf – Austin – “Morning Scrum - circa 2007”

Callaway Golf CEO Chip Brewer

Chip Brewer

great place to grow that has gone downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsWhen I started it was very entreprenuerial, I was able to advance from a Sr. Analyst to a Director in 9 years. Lots of freedom to make decisons that were right for the company, and to pursue training and education in the fields that interested me. great benefits, great work life balance.

Cons6 CEOs in 9 years led to a lack of cohesion. Each CEO had a new direction, each one brought in a slew of upper management that came from many industries, but no real plan to improve the bottom line. 6th set was enough for me.

Advice to Senior Managementget a plan, expand and find new markets. Golf is pricing itself out of the average person's life, you must expand into something else. Quit retreating.

If it weren't for my peers, I would have been gone long ago ...

Corporate IT (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsPeople you work around , perks

Consdated offices, poor middle management, lack of vision, old technologies, LACK OF MONEY FOR ANYTHING NEW - The answer is always, "We don't have the money for that" - even tech support for enterprise software, very FRAGILE and OLD tech environments, peers are AFRAID to say anything in fear of retribution by managers. If there is a tech issue, you are expected to respond even on your days off because there is no back-up for your position and if you think you are calling tech support FORGET IT because they don't buy maintenance.

Advice to Senior ManagementADVICE? They don't need advice because they either know everything or will refute what you offer. They say they have an "Open Door" policy but don't want to ever be told of issues - they are in DENIAL. Get real or lose what little talent you have left.

Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsCallaway provides an opportunity for employees to develop their own vision, implement it, and see it through. The management team has fostered a culture that is centered on passion and hard work-- and that's very rewarding.

ConsThe cons are perhaps working within an industry that is high growth that can lead to strong YOY growth, etc. However it is within an industry that I'm passionate about and the culture and attitude reflects that.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find talent that is passionate about golf but has the ability to manage, inspire, and move organizations forward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, tough times as of 2010

Senior Principal Analyst (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Pros1 - Great team to work with, a lot of support and very open to answer just about any question.
    2 - IT open door policy.
    3 - You are challenged by doing projects (if you get them).
    4 - Very flexible work environment.

Cons1 - Very little or no opportunities for advancement.
    2 - Very little or no raises since 2008. But it has been tough times for the company.
    3 - There have been layoffs and management has tried to saved the managers (that did nothing) and throw some of the employees under the bus.
    4 - Management gets benefits (iphones/ipads) even though the company is loosing money.

Advice to Senior Management1 - Do not buy stuff we do not really need. I know that Apple products are cool, but nothing says I do not care like spending a lot of money for such products while we are loosing money. If you want to promote change, show that you are diligent with your expenses.

Short Stint

Information Technology (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsPeople you work with, compensation, great perks (if you enjoy golf)

ConsLimited advancement opportunities, poor middle management, frustrating lack of communication, not a creative environment, poor decisions continue to hurt this company, poor performance quarter after quarter

Advice to Senior ManagementHire true project managers to manage large scale projects. Stop ridiculous spending when the company is in a 'turn-around' phase. Losing good people in favor of almost comical decisions.

Enjoyable, but limited opportunities

Sales Operations (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Pros- Sporting goods industry is more interesting than, say, insurance
    - Good people
    - Great location - Carlsbad

Cons- Lack of strong, focused leadership
    - Priorities change on a whim
    - Limited advancement possibilities - mgmt. either hires from outside or promotes friends
    - Declining benefits
    - Regular, ongoing layoffs
    - Overall, poor performing company in a very declining industry - golf

Company was not keeping current as the industry and workforce changed

Manager (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsGreat people. Hopefully the recent changes to senior management at the company will make it a more progressive place to work. Benefits were good, but declining.

ConsChallenging to work in a declining industry such as golf. Non-traditional work situations rarely taken into consideration (telecommuting, job sharing, alternate work hours). There were layoffs so regularly for the last 5 years that many of the people that were great at there jobs and role models have left the company or were laid off because they were highly compensated.

I was so disappointed. Callaway is the good old boys club.

R&D Engineer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Pros-Nice building
    -Good benefits
    -Some good looking girls

Cons-Personal looks mean more than personal performance.
    -Have to be part of the boys club to get anywhere.
    -Bunch of 8 - 5 slackers. Even in R&D.
    -Lack of commitment to products.
    -Politics
    -Living in the past of the Bertha thinking eventually they'll get market share back.

Advice to Senior Management-Work!
    -Stop with the politics.
    -Commit fully to a product.

Going in the wrong direction...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Prosshort hours, fun employee base, if you like golf its cool to see all the pros, decent pay, free range balls, benefits still ok but way worse than they used to be, nice office location

ConsSr Management, very few employees left, annual layoffs, marketing, sku proliferation, unrealistic expectations of performance, lose money annually, no bonuses (well you can earn them but the goals are unrealistic), no great tour players

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the company might be doing some things correct by getting out of a ton of businesses that never made money (just not sure why they waited so long). They need to fix the marketing quick and somehow find a way to create demand for their products. Consumers are being trained that they can wait 3 months and get the same products for way less. Ideally they find a PE group to take them private so they arent constantly chasing numbers that are unrealistic.

It was good while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsOrganized compared to other companies
    Descent pay
    Good benifits
    Clean and professional environment

ConsBad decision making by old upper managment
    Bad marketing

Worked for Callaway Golf? Contribute to the Community!