Calvert Investments

Updated Jan 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barbara J. Krumsiek

luck of the draw in a growing company

I have been working at Calvert Investments full-time

ProsThe corporate mission of "investments that make a difference" draws passionate, engaged employees.
Free 15-minute massages every two weeks.
Free commuting benefits that you choose: sneakers, a bike, metro pass, or parking.
A relaxation room that is actually used by everyone with the best La-z-boy for mid-day breaks.
25 cent soda machines.
$6 movie tickets.
Puzzles in the kitchens.
Really nice people. Seriously nice people.
Recent office reconstruction means open spaces, light and decent cubicles.
Depending on your manager, a lot of flexibility.
Assets and business are growing.

ConsHas had some growing pains over the last two years. Calvert isn't sure if it's a small company with a great employee culture or a corporate monolith wannabe. Your experience at Calvert is very dependent on your department/boss.
Attrition is low which means that promotions or internal transfers can be long in coming.
Healthcare options are limited and pricey, especially for a company that's owned by an insurance holding group.
On good days, it feels like a values-driven, passionate company, like Ben & Jerry or Honest Tea. On bad days, it's like Office Space and the Office put together.

Advice to Senior ManagementScale infrastructure to match needs.

Parent company, please stop leaving sales materials for employees every month. It's literally the only interaction we have with the holding company, and it is tacky.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A good company at heart, but times are changing

I worked at Calvert Investments

ProsGreat Benefits and great people at Calvert. Overall a nice place to work on most days, because management doesn't actually manage anything. You will be left alone to do your job.

Amazing work/life balance. 28 days of vacation! Can't find that anywhere else.

ConsLousy Management. They are completely disconnected from the people they manage. Generally treat you as a lesser person and talk down to you. There is zero input allowed from subordinates who are actually in the field and know how the business works.

The mindset of the company is focused on penny pinching in the wrong areas, while giving exorbitant budgets for worthless marketing ventures, there's an app for that! The main thing they seem to be focused on is cutting compensation for the internal and external sales team, which led to a mass exodus in the past year, and it is about to happen again this year.

The industry is catching up and will soon take over the little niche we have in the market because the competition is seeing the opportunity and have large budgets. Compound that with performance falling makes the products increasingly more difficult to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and look in the mirror, you are bringing the ship down by forcing out good people.

Stop trying to trick incoming salespeople by saying you let go of a bunch of slackers, almost everyone who has left in the past year went out on their own terms to go make more money. There is a reason sales positions stay vacant, the compensation is simply not competitive.

Small Shop with little direction

I worked at Calvert Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-For the most part people are great to work with. As you get to dealing with management it sure gets less enjoyable.
-Place to balance work and life

Cons-Wants to be a big company and yet is a small shop
-no place to advance within the company
-no strategic management
-underpaid employees

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the reviews you are getting and pick up on the common themes!

A losing gem...

I have been working at Calvert Investments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- a good company with extremly bright employees
- a relatively relaxed environment that also allows for a life outside of work
- a great starting point for your career but don't expect to be rewarded for your efforts
- the sales department used to have a wonderful atmosphere of great minds and brilliant ideas but has been hampered by the new regime in office

Cons- extremely poor management, especially at the executive level. there are too many people trying to claim the role of the most important person.
- we are supposed to be the pioneers in SRI while other companies are better executing their strategy and far surpassing us. We're letting a great opportunity pass us by with management more worried about their own good versus putting their efforts in the bread and butter of the company that truly is all we have to differentiate ourselves by.
-too beaurucratic for its own good
-extremely no place to move within the firm. they are spread so thin where people where multiple hats and do not get compensated for it
-poor salary, especially relative to the rest of the industry. employees in sales are making, on average, $20k less in base than other local competitors but have a more intense work load

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or ship out, management. You're unaware of your well-versed and very knowledgeable employees base. Of course it's more enticing to make more money and get rewarded and recognized for our efforts elsewhere. Don't you realize that's why everyone is quitting?

Intern

I worked at Calvert Investments

ProsCool people that enjoy doing what they do.

ConsOne person from MIT does all the thinking, everyone else just does paper work.

It use to be very family oriented but with the new mgmt things changed

Regional Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a lot of PTO, and great 401k benefits

ConsUpward mobility reduced drastically the past two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get to know your employees.

Great mission, not such great execution right now.

I have been working at Calvert Investments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThese are some of the best people I've ever worked with. The mission and vision of the company are truly admirable. The company treats its employees well and the pay is decent. There is a good amount of training for managers.

ConsRough couple of years with layoffs. Starting to improve, but still a little iffy in terms of whether the company will thrive. Hope it will, but some at the top who hold up progress need to retire first. Company needs to offer more training, attendance at conferences, etc. There is a possibility that other companies will grow our product (or similar) beyond what we've done and we'll be coughing in the trail of dust they leave us behind in.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is not big enough to have as much beaurocracy as it does. We hold ourselves up by overthinking and overanalyzing everything.

A small company that wants to be big.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Calvert Investments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWonderful people all trying to do the right thing; creative perks like bicycle allowances and walking shoes for people who don't drive to work.

ConsWages not on par with other financial companies. Seems to get mired in big-company-like bureaucracy despite being very small.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your strengths. Stay small (in terms of headcount, not assets) and be more selective in your marketing spend.

Does not live up to its reputation

I have been working at Calvert Investments full-time

ProsThere is solid work life balance

ConsNot strategic; little opportunity for advancement, salary and benefits are not competitive

Overall, easy work and decent pay.

I worked at Calvert Investments

ProsThis is a company that will almost never require you to work past 5:00 pm. A flexible schedule and not too terribly taxing work are also attractive features.

ConsThis company has spent 20 years beating on its chest claiming to be the leader of a niche marketplace only to have legions of smarter, more nimble companies get into the game and ultimately pass it by.
Senior management is arguably the crux of the problem, many of whom may not have the firmest grasp the ever changing dynamics of their business. From the perspective of the rank and file, there is a dearth of challenging work, opportunities for growth, and personal development.

Worked for Calvert Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Calvert Investments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Calvert Investments CEO Barbara J. Krumsiek. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Calvert Investments employees.