Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C.

www.cfw-cpa.com
  www.cfw-cpa.com

Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
3.6

Jason Ferguson CPA

Great atmosphere and good management

Former Employee - Audit Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company to complete an internship with. Good team of people to work with and you will learn a lot in a short amount of time. Good pay and flexible work/life balance.

Cons

It is public accounting so expect to work some overtime in busy season or when projects require it to get the job done.

Good work environment

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time for more than a year

Pros

CF is committed to employee development, when I was there they brought in a 3rd party to mentor and coach us to get to the next level of our career. The firm was really good about keeping people informed during our firm wide meetings every other month. It is a younger firm throughout, everyone meshed together really well.

Cons

It's public accounting hours, but still better than the big four. There was probably only a few Saturdays that required us to have all hands on deck. Turnover, but once again, its public accounting.

I think disputing the partners between audit and tax has really helped, I would keep it that way. At one point Tax only had two.

Decent pay but not worth the headache

Former Employee - Tax  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tax in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you ask for it, pay is pretty decent even for being Downtown. Good time off, but in tax that eats into your bonus utilization so it's a give/take. Some people know what they're doing, but you have to ask as nobody really offers any information. You see all kinds of clients, but depending on who assigns it to you they may or may not know how to adequately handle the project so that isn't always a positive. At first they do a good job of selling the "team" part of the firm but quickly that disintegrates. Offices are new and nice at least. Bring in food during busy season. If you're experienced and don't expect to really be trained or learn, this could be a good stepping stone to somewhere with adequate management after you get lots of exposure. They seem to do an ok job of screening candidates, but staff isn't where the issues lie...
    To an extent you get to work on what type of work you want to which if you've already carved a niche` for yourself can reduce your stress about returns or types of work you aren't familiar with.
    The audit team doesn't seem to have as many issues as tax, so if that's where you're headed you may have better luck.

Cons

The issue here mainly is there is an utter lack of competency at the management level. When I left there was 1 manager left, and it was someone who had been out of public accounting for over a decade and it showed. The partners really should be managers as that's where their level of technical and managerial capabilities lie. Since leaving one of the equity Audit partners had to take over tax because of this. If only it had happened sooner!
    Promotions are made simply by "the best of who's left" as far as Managers, Sr. Managers and Partners. Save the two ex-partners, and 2 staff, no one in the department has been there over a year. Turnover is every couple of Fridays, whether it be tax or audit. If you've been in public accounting, you know what kind of havoc this wreaks when trying to review prior year information or have any type of continuity.
    Reviews are done by assigned managers who you probably don't do any work for and typically are a source of reporting to management (in a negative light) your issues and concerns. It's basically intended to "tattle" on anyone who disagrees with things in the firm or even has legitimate concerns for that matter.
    As stated above, there is little to no training or technical advancement programs in place. If you don't know what you're doing already, this probably isn't a good place to go, even as an Associate.
    There is very much a clique and gossipy atmosphere in place. Any new day brings its new items of drama, to the likes of which I've never experienced before. Like many before me I couldn't even make it through a calendar year with the firm. It's that frustrating.

The "tone at the top" is basically "We Don't Have Any Competition". As with any small (under 50) accounting firm, there are always bigger and better places so this kind of arrogance is part of their downfall. Partners do not hold their management to their own internal leadership standards and goals which if you're trying to move up is frustrating as it's mostly a futile effort in trying to deal with the tenured managers.
    Also, it is dishonest and frankly a lie to release information such as press releases, letterhead, and client correspondence with additional offices listed (Woodlands, Calgary, etc.) where they don't lease space or have any employees in said locations.
    These issues have been going on at the company for at least the last 2 years based on staff when I arrived, and management is hardly wont to address it anytime soon.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow your career

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C.

Pros

Working for clients in various industries, being able to gain experience on multiple audits in busy season rather than working on one large client, good comp, generous parking allowance and PTO policy, management stresses training and development

Cons

Can't think of any cons other than what you typically see in public accounting

Really amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time for less than a year

Pros

I haven't been here long, but I already feel like I'm a valued member of the team. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful, and the partners are all very determined to keep it that way. They go out of their way to solicit input, enact good policies, and show their appreciation for all that their employees do. They also realize that everyone has a life outside of work and that maintaining it is important. Their reasoning is that you'll work harder and better if you're a happier person, and they're right! Perhaps because of this, the rest of the employees are all genial, considerate, and accommodating. On top of that, they seem to genuinely like one another. This is not to say that everyone is best friends and that there are never any disagreements, but gossip, pettiness, and backstabbing really don't seem to have a place here.

As for the tangibles - the time off is generous and the approval process for it is fair. Working hours are reasonable; 60+ hours weeks are NOT the norm. The company is rapidly growing in size, so there looks like there will be a lot of potential for individual professional development and movement.

Cons

Parking is really the only issue I've had so far. The company gives a pretty generous parking allowance, but they don't have a contract anywhere so you've got to set up your own. Parking downtown is so scarce that finding somewhere with an opening can take a long time. Might be easiest to just take the bus.

Do whatever you can to maintain this atmosphere and culture! It's well and truly outstanding.

One day you're here, the next day you're gone

Former Employee - Audit  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to different industries, Pay market rate, many vacation days, nice offices.

Cons

Insane amount of turnover, No formal training, Management has no accountability, Promotions are based on politics, Incompetent managers will throw seniors and staff under the bus to cover for their mistakes. Parking allowance does not cover parking costs.

Partners, wake up and smell the coffee. Hire better management, and not just those there for a paycheck. Get rid of complainers/cancers/gossipers. It is not a coincidence half your employees have been there less then 2 years.

A great experience at first, but bad management decisions made this place difficult to work for in the end.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C.

Pros

Majority of employees have great personalities, management has open door policy, managers are usually flexible when it comes to scheduling conflicts, more vacation days than most public companies.

Cons

constant turnovers, reduced salaries, reduced benefits, poor training which leads to poor client deliverables, managers are spread so thin that they never have time for associates and senior associates, blatant favoritism, and most RIFs are based solely on politics.

Take better care of your employees as they are the backbone of your company.

Great place to Work

I have been working at Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good communication throughout organization. Firm supports CPA license studies (bonus for passing). There is room and opportunities for growth. Diverse range of clients in various industries to gain experience. There is an open door policy. Partners and managment work with you when personal problems are occurring. Monthly bonuses available to Seniors and Staff. Great offices. Great vacation policy and nice offices downtown. No hoteling.

Cons

Need more experienced Seniors and Managers

Worked for Calvetti Ferguson & Wagner P.C.? Contribute to the Community!