Calypso Technology

Add Photos

Calypso Technology Chairman and CEO Charles Marston

Charles Marston

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work if you interested in software for capital markets

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInteresting domain and you get to work with a lot of really bright people. People get rewarded for good work. The company provides good benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance. You start with 10 days of vacation and if you stay there long enough you can get up to 25 days.

ConsTechnology stack is dated; mostly standard Java with a little bit of J2EE. The work culture is such that you are on your own if you want to keep up with the latest technology. Work schedule can get very demanding often.

There are some good people here, the company does not do them justice.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- There are some very talented people within the company - although I would say a fair amount of the talent is only retained due to VISA restrictions.
    - Clearing solution is supposedly very good.

Cons- For every talented person, there is someone untalented and unwilling to deliver thorough solutions.
    - The training and education here needs significant improvement.
    - The software is sold with no regards as to the client's needs or the consultants who will eventually implement the software.
    - The discrepancy in pay between salespeople (most of whom have rarely looked at the software) and others is terrible. Prioritizing fees over quality.
    - Organization is continuously changing - structure is getting cloudier and more hierarchical. This could be seen as good, depending on whether you forked out ridiculous money for an MBA or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people. Send them to finance classes, they should understand the application of the software rather than just aimlessly clicking around.

not great for a software engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- some really nice and smart people.
    - convenient location.
    - ability to travel and work from other offices from time to time.

Cons- Terrible pay. If you start as a software engineer, you can get almost twice as much in many other tech companies.
    - Difficult to move up. I ended up being a key developer in my team, but recognition was at best a tap on the shoulder.
    - Old technologies. Hard to move to most companies around the bay area as you will not work on state of the arts techniques/frameworks/languages.
    - Poor selection. the company focus too much on hiring a bunch of cheap engineers instead of a few good ones.
    - Cheap hardware (old monitors, old laptops, I've seen people bringing their own laptop)

Advice to Senior Management- should focus on hiring fewer, better engineers, and treat them better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst vendor in terms of functionalities, design and build

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Allows internal role switch

Cons- very bad management of work schedules at all levels (don't stick to work schedules)
    - sales pitches tend to over promise on product functionalities but under deliver during implementation. Numerous client dissatisfaction and complaints on front office functionalities
    - sales teams aggressive in overselling even when product is not yet fully developed, creating a rosy picture to client but unsure of end delivery
    - bugs raised are not fixed properly and errors keep recurring.
    - poor QC
    - mgt wants to take easy way out by not customizing system to client business needs. Clients often told to find their own workaround solutions, making it futile to buy system.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the key critical issues facing the product teams. Rectify all issues before trying to sell to clients.Be sensitive and customize according to client needs

Good to begin with

5. Company pays for the insurance
    6. Sponsors visas
    7. Very convenient location for people taking BART

Cons1. Low base salary and low raises / bonuses
    2. Working hours for few teams can get odd consistently and have lots of work (This can be good or bad depending upon the situation and person)
    3. Does not have stocked kitchen

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing well. Keep going. It will be nice if they can increase base salary for people especially for college graduates.

Great place to work out of college if you are into finance AND tech; job is 20% finance, 80% tech/software

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Competitive entry-level salary and great health benefits
    - Great place to learn about financial technology, one of the hottest topics in today's financial world
    - Company is a leader in financial tech industry so there are opportunities to be involved with the cutting edge areas
    - Very profitable company -- the largest banks worldwide throw money at Calypso to get the latest software to keep up with recent additions and changes in financial legislation (Basel, Dodd-Frank etc)
    - In the heart of downtown SF (public transportation friendly)
    - Work is very demanding, but if you can manage your time wisely, work/life balance is good
    - A learning culture-- no one thinks they know everything, there is always something new to learn or explore with Calypso
    - Quick equipment setup for new employees (laptop, monitor, keyboard, etc)

Cons- Higher ups can be harsh and impatient when trying to explain/teach to new employees
    - Amounts of work given to different employees of the same level can vary considerably
    - Very small kitchen and only one bathroom per gender per floor
    - Can be frustrating for finance/business majors with little software background to understand Calypso, but this is not really a con, more of a warning to those applicable

Advice to Senior Management- Performance expectations can be murky, it is hard to stand out from others (or even understand if one has met expectations) without clearly defined expectations from senior mgt
    - Higher ups need to remember that frustration and impatience with new employees not understanding the system will not instill knowledge in them, rather, it slows the learning process

Boy have they come a long way!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosi've been here just a few months and there's a ton to learn; people are great! friendly & helpful, very colleagial atmosphere. the work is complex, and i love to figure stuff out so it works well for me.
    good culture & i think top mgt is listening to employees. my mgr is supportive - going to seminars, providing time and space to learn what i need to know, pretty patient overall. the co is very profitable, the salary offer i got was just above market rate (i think). so i'm a happy camper.

Consat first i was nervous accepting their offer, becuase i read some reviews from last year & they were pretty damning. but i took a chance & so far i'm glad i did. i think mgt has made strides to address employee issues. yeah, the work schedule can be demanding - like 50 hours a week. but i was already used to that in my last job. so it's no big deal. i wish i could expedite my learning process, but it's just gonna take time, i guess.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep improving, keep listening to the rank & file. benefits are great but maybe can add more? the fully paid health insurance is awesome!

Good place to learn and explore different areas of finance and tech systems

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company has a very diverse culture with people and offices all over the world. At Calypso you can choose to specialize in one area of finance or explore a little more in other areas. The culture is similar to a start up with no feelings of hierarchy or stuffiness. Nice people to work with and learn from.

ConsThere are numerous processes that are not yet established and can be messy to navigate without much guidance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore organization and channels of support for employees so that there is a sense of order in everything.

Working at Calypso

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople are friendly and the work environment (in SFO) is great. Also a great place to learn. The code base is fairly complex but you are given time and resources to learn. If you are interested in learning about financial instruments then this is definitely the place. The technology stack is primarily Java.

ConsCannot think of any at this time.

Exciting Place to work

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork life balance is great here and the management encourages it. Company is in growth mode, Engineering is hiring additional engineers globally. The company is very stable and I feel I will have a long career here, I moved from the East coast for the opportunity. Calypso placed as the lead for innovation in the Gartner Magic Quadrant.

ConsComing from a 24x7 pressure cooker it is hard for me to find cons in an environment that I can wear jeans and sneakers to work (still getting used to that!)

Worked for Calypso Technology? Contribute to the Community!