Camber Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.3

Walter P. Batson Jr.

Pros
  • Good salary, good colleagues, great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay good people good company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • After a short stint on short term disability I was told by HR my job was no longer available (in 3 reviews)

• Ever since the company was sold to a private equity firm, the employer 401k contribution has fallen (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A well run company

Former Employee - Senior Training Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Training Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Camber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very professionally run organization committed to business excellence. In the defense contracting market, Camber has a very good reputation. Working with Camber always gave me a comfortable feeling of making a difference and being a part of a wonderful group of professionals.

Cons

There were really very few areas that I felt needed improvement. Maybe local access to company infrastructure when needed but my position was removed and more autonomous anyway.

Eh...

I have been working at Camber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy to be hired. Great benefits as far as healthcare is concerned, best I've found. If you have military background and 20 + years of experience, this is a great place for you. "Good old boys club"

Cons

Almost no chance of promotions or pay raise, even to account for cost of living expenses. If you aren't in the main office, in Huntsville, you are forgotten and doubted that you are actually doing any good work. Ideas coming from the smaller offices are shut down because they aren't coming from above and aren't deemed "worthy" even when they could result in a high pay day for the company.

Listen to the PM's and not just division managers. Look to the future and help provide an environment to grow younger minds, therefor keeping them in the company longer. So much talent and great work ethic fly in and out because better opportunities are being provided else where, with growth of the person comes before growth of the company.

Don't work at this place.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Camber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people in the Orlando office are nice but there are some back stabbers.

Cons

Working at Camber was like working in hell everyday.

Great job, wonderful people, time off could be better.

Current Employee - Language Analyst
    Current Employee - Language Analyst

I have been working at Camber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Camber is a wonderful company and I really have enjoyed my time there thus far. I love the people I work with, and the job I perform is truly the best I have ever had. Some of the benefits are great. I love the 401K contribution and the health and dental insurance.

Cons

My main problem with Camber is the lack of time off granted at the company. Beyond a sad amount of annual leave, we are only authorized holiday time for 9 of the 10 government holidays and we are not allowed to work on those days. As such, we are forced to either use our own leave (which is already sorely lacking) or take leave without pay. This seems extremely unfair to me and shows a lack of concern on the company's part.

Management should seriously look at the company's holiday and annual leave policy. There are many options out there for employees with a security clearance and many companies offer better benefits than Camber. Many of my coworkers have left Camber to go elsewhere and I am considering it also just to get more time off. It is hard to make a profit if you have a high rate of employee turnover. Happy employees stay in their jobs.

Good start .... horrible finish

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Camber full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This used to be an excellent company, one that I was proud to be associated with. With the loss of the BEST long-term employees and the new former SAIC management coming on-board, this company is a JOKE!

Cons

The "old" Camber was the best, great team work and great management! 3+ years ago the crooks from SAIC joined the management team and have brought Camber down to its knees. The best managers and employees have left and the ones that remained were treated like dirt while the management team devised a way to kick them to the curb after years of loyal service. They laid dedicated team members off work and then turned around and hired all their SAIC friends who they quickly promoted. They told the former Camber employees how incompetent they were on a daily basis. They changed policies and re-organized the company every other day. No one in upper management has a clue what goes on daily with the worker bees. They are so busy trying to find ways to break the law, give themselves promotions, and get rid of anyone that is not former SAIC to realize they are driving that company into the ground. The CEO, Mr. Batson, used to be a part of the team and displayed concern for his employees. Now he just shows up and sits in his office and ignores what the crooks are doing downstairs and out in the field. He is letting this management team destroy his company, his employees, and his life work.

My advice to management? Get rid of the crooks from SAIC and return Camber to the great company it once was. Mr. Batson should stand up for the company he started and for the employees who helped grow the company so he could become a multi-millionaire instead of allowing them to be treated so horribly.

Lone Ranger if you're off-site

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Training Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Training Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Camber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health insurance is inexpensive, flex scheduling

Cons

If you're off site, you're a lone ranger. Little to no communication or involvement with the organization.

Striving for Change, Weighed down by Investment Firm

Former Employee - Capture in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Capture in Centreville, VA

I worked at Camber full-time

Pros

Some really super people
    Small company personality
    Good in Huntsville
    Good 401K

Cons

Still acts like a small company
    Trying to build IT strength through acquisition makes them cash poor
    Lay-off of BD and Capture across the company to free up cash
    Executives are allowed to regularly be disrespectful and insulting to their peers and anyone else without negative repercussions.

Look hard at long time managers- just because they have been there 8+ years and know the CEO, does not mean they have the skills to take you to the next level
    Doing it the way you always have will not help you grow - you will continue to shrink
    Process is not a bad word - you need some to be competitive. Asking 3 different people how to do something and getting 3 different answers is not a good thing
    Some work exceedingly hard while others barely work

The managers are not helpful.

Former Employee - Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Columbia, MD

I worked at Camber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits were good. Good 401k match
    The employees were down to earth and friendly
    The work was important and satisfying

Cons

The managers are not helpful. After a short stint on short term disability I was told by HR my job was no longer available. No manager would return my calls or emails. There were no attempts to find new position for me. I was just left out in the cold.

Treating your employees badly only hurts your reputation.

Outstanding company to work with.

Former Employee - Joint Training Systems Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Joint Training Systems Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Camber full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, good colleagues, great benefits. Leadership is knowledgable and works with the employee to meet both the company and individual needs and requirements.

Cons

Limited locations. The division of the company I worked with has limited locations as they are a defense contractor and limited to military sites

Keep doing what your doing, your leadership is very goos and the customers are very happy.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - PROPERTY ANALYSTII in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - PROPERTY ANALYSTII in Washington, DC

I have been working at Camber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benifits and career growth.

Cons

I have not came across any cons.