Camber Reviews

Updated April 18, 2015
80 reviews filtered by
3.3
Walter P. Batson Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits as far as healthcare is concerned, best I've found (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay good people good company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • After a short stint on short term disability I was told by HR my job was no longer available (in 3 reviews)

• Ever since the company was sold to a private equity firm, the employer 401k contribution has fallen (in 2 reviews)

1. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) Analyst

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Camber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was employed by a list of contractors from May 2005 to January 2015, starting with PEC and ending with Camber Corporation. The contract involved collecting data and performing research in support of the Navy's legal position in regards to ongoing legal proceedings in the International Court of Justice. The Camber management team was supportive of the staff and responsive to any recommendations for changes in processes.

Cons

PEC, Nortel, Avaya Government, and Camber Corporation were all great employers.

2. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Camber full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mature IT Company that is customer focused and employee driven. Camber supports a work life balance for all their employees. Their teams are creative and encouraged to take risks.

Cons

There are no Cons in my experience.

Advice to Management

I would like to see Camber improve communications across all divisions. This would allow them to leverage resources to identify other business opportunities.

3. Logistics. I was a contractor Equipment Specialist with camber at APG.

Current Employee - Equipment Specialist in Edgewood, MD
    Current Employee - Equipment Specialist in Edgewood, MD

I have been working at Camber

Pros

Camber is a strong mid-sized company located in Abingdon, MD and has an embedded contracting presence on posts at APG in Aberdeen and Edgewood, MD.

Cons

When your contract with APG a Camber embedded contractor is up there is little Camber support to retain your services.

Advice to Management

Greater lead time for end of contracts and greater support to embedded contractors.

5. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Camber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package. Company leadership

Cons

Would not negotiate salary when I was hired.

Too bad. Used to be a great company.

I worked at Camber full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people at lower level (i.e. the worker bees). Good 401K, Good health insurance.

Cons

Used to be a great company when we were employee owned. Sold to venture capital group and over the past 3 years the best managers and employees were fired, or have left. They laid off dedicated workers and turned around and hired a number of SAIC people directly into upper management. Those people in turn hired all of their SAIC friends and quickly promoted them. Camber was never big on promoting from within, but now if you aren't in the "SAIC group" you will most certainly never be promoted. You may as well leave now, before you are kicked to the curb.

Management has no clue what is going on with the worker bees (little to no communication from upper management about anything) and they "reorganize" the company about every 6 months. No clear direction.

Advice to Management

Your employees deserve better. Show them you care. Promote from within and reward hard work rather than only rewarding your buddies. Morale was very low where I worked, and layoffs were commonplace.

Not a bad company for defense contracting

Former Contractor - Language Analyst
    Former Contractor - Language Analyst

I worked at Camber as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As far as defense contractors go, they are good. They have a great 401(k) program if you can stay employed on a contract long enough to actually get fully vested in it. Unfortunately the nature of contracting means you probably wont ever see the money.

Cons

The business itself is very cut-throat and they don't care about you any more than any other contracting company cares about you. They pretend that they are different and "family" and give you that whole plate of garbage, but the facts are that they don't really care.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and treat them as humans, not just commodities.

8. Good people. Poor business decisions.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Camber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost: I worked with people I enjoyed. The company seems to take personality seriously into account when making hiring decisions and team cohesion is important to an extent. There's a lot of formor military folk employed, and a lot of that culture leaks into the day to day.

It's a large company -- there are quite a few opportunities across the country -- but you don't get a lot of the logistical and "mega-company" nightmares that are ubiquitous at other defence contractors. The culture is close knit, and you can feel comfortable approaching upper management if you ever have to.

Cons

Camber is a typical "defence contractor" that is fairly haphazard about the types of projects on which it actually bids. As such, many of the projects you may work on are interesting -- lots more, however, are not inspiring. Also, as a consequence, your managers may or may not have experience in managing the unique types of projects you'll be employed to do.

Much of the upper management is former military (which is a pro). There's awesome leadership potential, but this is often overshadowed by the lack of specialization and skills needed to effectively manage the technical project Camber attempts. Since your customer is often other military COs, there's a lot of technical skill vacuums. This *will* frustrate technical people at times.

There is also a bit of an old-guard culture that is prevalent in defence sectors. Many folks are planning to retire with Camber, and there's sometimes a lack of ambition and all too often, skills can stagnate.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more pragmatic in your bids. Earning potential is great, but if you don't have the internal experience to effectively manage projects, nor the technical budget to adequately support engineers and infrastructure, think twice. "Winging it" is a terrible business strategy and long term, poor morale and high turnover costs you money and talent.

9. Empolyee for 6 years

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Augusta, GA

I worked at Camber (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k program in the i2S/National Security Divison; benefits are good

Cons

Senior management not 100% in tune with what's going on; need to get out more and visit.

Advice to Management

Understand what employees are going through and be more proactive in placing employees when going through contract changes. Some PMs in the company are very close-hold about information, even keeping information that could help keep employees on the payroll from fellow PMs or Division leaders.

10. A Good company to start off at

Current Employee - Operations Technician
    Current Employee - Operations Technician

I have been working at Camber

Pros

Great benefits. Time off managed well.

Cons

Poor Management at the corporate level. Little chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the needs of your employees then the needs on financial gains.

11. My Review

I worked at Camber

Pros

Strong leadership, company tries hard to win jobs, looks out for employees.

Cons

Not much work, not winning contracts