Cambia Health Solutions

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.6

Mark B. Ganz

Potential for growth, however bogged down with bureaucracy

Current Employee - Health Care Services Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Health Care Services Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well capitalized, in an exciting industry (health care), opportunity to work at the nascent stage of startups, downtown location, salary, benefits

Cons

Very bureaucratic, conservative, people don't seem all that happy. There are a number of people who are just there for the paycheck.

There is little strategic vision for the company- there are a lot of good folks that work here, however they have little connection to senior management.

Great experience great benefits

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working for this company as a claims analyst. When you are new you would just love everything about the job plus the benefits. I especially love the fact that I was able to work remotely from home :)

Cons

If you got hire as a claims analyst I advise that you start applying to another department so you can transfer to another department after 1-2 years because they really "eat" you up if you are not meeting the performance requirements. Although I been there more than 3 years with good performance it did not make any difference when they quickly change the performance standards to 98.9% which means you gotta be perfect all the time. So this being said almost every 2 -4 years they replace the older folks with newer employees and the cycle continues.

needs help

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time

Pros

good pay, good remote policy

Cons

poor work life balance, management just promoted from below without consideration to management skills

put people that know how to manage workload and tasks in positions of management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary, benefits, but you have to pay to park. Nice cafeteria with interesting food, but seating is limited and uncomfortable. Nice workout gym but you have to pay to use it.

Cons

Some managers were okay, mine were not - they didn't allow flex schedules or telecommuting even though company policy allows it. It really varies by group, but mine were petty, vindictive, and micro-managers. If you keep your head down and don't ask questions, you'll do fine. Work environment is not nice, looks like a mental hospital with metal doors that you have to badge in to. Managers get offices by the windows and everyone else has windowless cubes in the center. Each floor has a small break room but not all have a sink, just a table to eat at so most people eat at their desk. It's really top management heavy - everyone is a Director. I had 1 team lead for a team of 2. Rarely met with the Director for our group, they always cancelled 1:1s, never attended group staff mtgs. Bad communication. Glad to be done with it.

Implement 360 degree reviews and Employee health surveys. HR told me it's only done by departments if they choose to do so.

Not Challenging Enough

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Their benefits I am sure are great. They have several great departments that you can work with. and learn from. They train you to make sure the job is done correctly every time which is extremely important. The learning experience is great.

Cons

I was only with the company a short time and came to realize that I would never get promoted within the company. There is very little communication within the company, often times it took weeks if not more to access to computer programs or data. I spend most of my time asking my manager for more work which ultimately lead to the demise of my job. Also since I was not a full time employee I was not able to apply to other jobs within the company.

Communication should be better within departments. Software issues need to be resolved. IT, security, and dept. managers need to work together. You need to allow part time employees the chance to apply to other positions within the company based on performance reviews. Also a big pet peeve of mine, letting employees go without advanced warning, it is unprofessional.

Challenging work if you are willing to seek it out

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cambia is willing to work with you as an employee which is very helpful, whether you want to work remotely a few days a week or with maternity leave. They also support you financially in many ways and have really great benefits (401k and bonus for example).

Cons

As in any company, there is a lot of bureaucracy (depending on the group probably) just because the company is so big. It can get annoying having to check with 3 other departments in order to change something.

Horrible Managers with no management skills

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Work/Life balance id ok only if you are assertive.

Cons

Most of the people in this company are old time employees. So they try to form an old boys club and then boycott anyone who is a threat to them. Most of the managers don't have the management skill...they just became managers in lieu of their tenure in the company. They do not provide opportunities to grow and do not give proper feedback to improvise on a timely basis. They will just wait and then give all the feedback or rather say let loose their thoughts and opinions in the performance review. They will write anything and everything in a way in which they like...no code or ethics to be followed. In a nut shell they can do whatever they want and manipulate their actions in every possible way. Best thing is that the upper management does not mind all this at all !! If the manager has a grudge or disliking towards you then they will do their best to pull you down.

Avoid the company !!!

Do not act blind to employee concerns. Follow proper work ethics and provide good management training to the managers and overall promote people who are really worthy and fit to become managers in all respects instead of seniority.

Senior manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable company. Matches charitable donations by 50%. Pockets of excellent people. Doing incredibly innovative things to change healthcare.

Cons

Hypocritical values. What's written and displayed are contradictory. Behavior displayed by some executives sets a dysfunctional and dis respective tone through parts of the organization. IT is appalling.

Open your eyes and be accountable. There are talented people whose work environments are highly dysfunctional making work life stressful and unproductive.

Inspiring, competitive and rewarding work atmosphere.

Current Employee - Lead Developer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

company values are good. benefits are very good.

Cons

gets boring quickly. not a lot of challenging projects.

Not a good time to be working in the healthcare field.

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

Atmosphere tense, working spaces tiny and loud although many work from home. Technology and software old and outdated and causing problems with the business

Address the problems of outdated systems head on. Be more innovative and support innovation to fix the problems in the company. Going back to the old ways is not working.

Worked for Cambia Health Solutions? Contribute to the Community!