Cambrex Reviews

7 reviews filtered by
2.4
Cambrex President, CEO, and Director Steve Klosk
Steve Klosk

Good pay, lots of overtime, difficult management

Former Employee - Chemist in Charles City, IA
    Former Employee - Chemist in Charles City, IA

I worked at Cambrex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of overtime to be had and the pay is pretty good. Safety is a priority and the employees seem to have created a close knit group (at least at the Charles City Division)

Cons

A lot of pressure on the people with work ethic to work long hours. Lots of stress - it is a work hard, fast, environment and get it done three weeks ago attitude. Moving up in the company is Impossible because of managemental backlash for applying to another section.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing your employees so hard, you hired the good ones for a reason, let them work. Corporate outlook has gotten greedy and the company will crash if they continue on this path. If only for the lack of resources and the over stressing of their employees - slow down. Lower management needs to stop bullying their employees when they want to move to different departments.

2. Operator

Current Employee - Operations in Charles City, IA
    Current Employee - Operations in Charles City, IA

I have been working at Cambrex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many to share. Pay is ok but you will have no time to enjoy it because you will work all the time. One plus is the people on the floor are very friendly.

Cons

The work schedule is terrible they tell you it's three days on two off two on 12 hour shifts. So every other weekend You will work. Usually have three months of days then three months of nights. What they forget to mention is that you have to cover vacation for the opposite shift. And the opposite shift will most likely have all senior employees with 5 weeks of vacation to cover. Our as they like to say production needs overtime. Instead of hiring extra help they run with the fewest amount of people and make everyone work overtime. There is no chance of ever getting a 8 hour job there so you will be at the end of your career still working 12hr shifts and weekends. So if you hate your family this the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at home much money you are making at our expense and start looking at how you can make cambrex a better place to work. Yes we are growing at an incredible rate but you will need to find employees for that future growth. If you continue on the current path you will not only have a hard time finding new employees but you will lose the ones you have now.

3. Processes are interesting, work is boring.

Former Intern - Process Engineer Intern in Charles City, IA
    Former Intern - Process Engineer Intern in Charles City, IA

I worked at Cambrex as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work that goes on there, lots of unique processes not seen other places.

Cons

Very boring work environment, some unpleasant people.

Advice to Management

Be more social.

5. System Administrator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rutherford, NJ

I worked at Cambrex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment. The employees worked well with each other at work and outside of work. Still have friends and gathering with the people I worked with during my years there. Good team environment no place is perfect.

Cons

No real negatives to speak of my manager and upper management treated me well. I was respected and able to share my views about the deparment I worked within.

Poor

Current Employee - Chemist in Charles City, IA
    Current Employee - Chemist in Charles City, IA

I have been working at Cambrex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with different types of equipment

Cons

The social attitudes are back in the 1950's

Advice to Management

Get more involved with technical operations, then you WILL KNOW what is going on!

7. My experience at Cambrex has been great, everyone is very friendly and smart, high caliber people.

Current Employee - MIS in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - MIS in Zürich (Switzerland)

I have been working at Cambrex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very lenient, minimal micro-managing, org chart is efficient, lots of room for improvement but not so much that you cannot get work done.

Cons

Some things are not "industry standard" as they should be. Managers cut corners to save money. Global corporation is not integrated well at US sites.

8. A bizarre place; colleagues don’t say hello, no development, welcome to the twilightzone...

Former Employee - Kemist in Karlskoga (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Kemist in Karlskoga (Sweden)

I worked at Cambrex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm sorry, but I cannot find anything positive to say about Cambrex in Karlskoga. No matter how hard I try. Leaving is problably the best thing...

Cons

Poor salary.
    No career opportunities.
    Laboratories not fit for chemical work. Have not been updated for ca 30 years.
    Laboratory safety is appalling – a wonder that accidents are not more common.
    No development anywhere
    People are intimidated by junior and senior management – employees do not dare to speak out in fear of repercussions.
    Cambrex Karlskoga has its very own twisted form of social etiquette.
    People often suffer from “burn-out” disorders or are sick due to the working environment, social and physical.

Advice to Management

Now would be a good time to enter the twentieth century. Listen to your employees, try and advance people with visions and some go…