Cambridge Assessment

2.8
Cambridge Assessment Group Chief Executive Officer Mr Simon Lebus
Mr Simon Lebus
1 Rating

Nice people, nice product, terribly disorganised

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

Big office, friendly people, lots of room for progression

Cons

Little definition between roles, no in-team training, out-dated and inefficient processes and the attitude of "its always been like this" as opposed to improving.

Advice to Management

Better in team training, defined roles and more motivated staff in terms of change

2. Pays well, but work is monotonous and senior management are slow moving.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and not really any pressure to work beyond your allocated hours. I don't take work home with me. Training is available but I find I have to push quite hard for it. Your job is likely to be very safe if you are employed here.

Cons

Management is slow moving. You can work on a project only for it to be delayed by months at a time. Don't notice any positive feedback from senior colleagues.

Advice to Management

It is a vast organisation so I'm sure it varies massively, but in my area there is not really any encouragement to train or expand my role from management.

3. A great place to get experience of a large organisation

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment full-time

Pros

High rate of internal hires/promotions

Cons

Measured against the cost of living in Cambridge, it's not as competitive as many of the tech companies.

Advice to Management

Annual increases are intended to help retain staff, but other local companies have the same data, and go beyond the advised minimum because they know Cambridge is a competitive market place, which results in us losing valuable contributors.

Good in parts.

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent people who care deeply about the nature of the work that they do. There are benefits to being part of the University - good pension etc.

Cons

Challenging highly political environment - at many levels - and an inability or unwillingness to deal with poor performers. People are often rewarded for fire-fighting, not for ensuring that there aren't any fires to put out.

6. High level support and training in education sectors

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment

Pros

Company developing training and support to grow employee skills and knowledge and to offer high quality support and training in the education sector

Cons

In certain areas time vs level of demand per area does not match however company working hard to recognise achievement and support changes

Advice to Management

Continuation of staff feedback needs to be acted upon to develop

Bureaucratic and backward organisation, such a shame as it could be really good

I worked at Cambridge Assessment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good location Good benefits Good social calendar Good on site catering facilities Probably good as a first job

Cons

Limited to non existent career progression Secretive and devious HR managers Un-fair appraisal system Managers take credit for the work you do Senior staff seem disengaged and removed from the 'real world' No genuine recognition or understanding of the contribution you make Disproportionate balance of workload amongst staff Took on new staff and threw expensive training at them but failed to invest in the staff they have Biggest regret about leaving the organisation...that I didn't do it sooner!!!

Advice to Management

Invest and reward individuals accordingly,

Lacking leadership

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment

Pros

The people are generally willing and eager to help, though this is not universal.

Cons

Lions lead by donkeys, would be my summation of my experiences.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff

9. stressful at times but mostly very pleasant environment

Former Employee - Examiner Helpdesk in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Cambridge Assessment

Pros

good salary for the position, great work environment and location friendly co-workers

Cons

Lots of temps Cost-cutting measures in place

10. Great environment, facilities and good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment

Pros

Relaxed work environment Good facilities Cheap childcare fees because of association with the University Varied work assignments Never stands still Good anual social events

Cons

Weak management and leadership Politics always seems to get in the way of doing what's right Value academic background higher than commercial experience

Advice to Management

Manage Talent and work hard to ensure staff are valued. Make Work-Life-Integration real for employees.

11. Avoid if you are passionate about Software Development

Current Employee - Senior .NET Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Cambridge Assessment

Pros

The pension is fantastic and the fact that the office is open for only 12 hours a day means that you are unlikely to be doing too much work. The only real pressure is the pressure you put on yourself.

Cons

It is my belief that the company does not actually like, or trust, the development department. The developers have been sidelined about how the development process should be changed resulting in an incredibly bureaucratic process that is going to stall development whereas agile development (in my opinion) would deliver significantly better results for them.

Advice to Management

The whole culture needs to change, the business and the development teams need to be brought closer together. Listen to the developers when they say that they are not satisfied

RSS Feed </> Embed