Cambridge Associates, LLC

www.cambridgeassociates.com

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates(in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive(in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry(in 8 reviews)

Very dull and boring workplace and company in general.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are nice enough and if you like solitude, this is a great place for you.

ConsUnexciting, boring, uninspiring job and company

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize where the industry is heading!

Great company if your smart and knowledgeable in finance

Investment Performance Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsIf you put in the work, you will do well. On going training is very helpful to gain knowledge in different areas of finance and investments. Improves your knowledge of finance and investments.

ConsCareer growth sucks. Managers play favorites to staff that hangs out with them out side of work. Girls are favored as well since there aren't many in the performance department. Lots of turnover, and not just as much as you would expect in entry level finance firm. LOT MORE. Management is improving the performance department, but this transition has caused half of the previous staff to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee empowerment needed. Otherwise good. The changes are good for the position, and will improve down the road.

Performance Reporting

Manager, Performance Reporting (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsImmediate client facing role, access to unlimited learning tools, consultant interaction.

ConsWork can be repetitive, but probably no more so that most jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Firm

Summer Consulting Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI had a great experience with Cambridge Associates. The firm has a very collaborative and collegiate culture. They train you extensively at the beginning. CA takes a lot of pride in the work it does for non-profit institutions, rightfully so.

ConsI had a very positive experience as a Summer Analyst and during the 10 week internship did not encounter any 'cons'.

Cambridge Associates was a waste of time

Investment Performance Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsI enjoyed working with my coworkers in the "secluded" office. They were about the only thing that kept me at Cambridge Associates.

ConsLack of experienced management, communication, and help. When you speak up, no one ever listens or tries to fix the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when they speak up to you. We are speaking up for a reason.

Great working environment, Great people

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMost people are willing to cooperate, resonable and smart. Great work/life balance. Open minded leaders with long-term perspective in enterprise development.
    The company also provides great career path for the internal employees, and many people work for the company more than 10 years, even 20 years.

ConsI could not tell much about the cons, since I like this company. If I have to something, I will say that the work pace could be a little faster. Be more responsive to the market change and be more client-oriented.

Unprofessional Operations department with little to no opportunity for career advancement...

Investment Performance Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsCollegial work environment that is ideal for a recent college graduate.

ConsMislead about the quality and type of work I would be performing as an Investment Performance Associate.
    Mid-level management incredibly out of touch with the work of their subordinates.
    Operations/Performance Reporting department provides little potential for career development.
    The work done in performance reporting does not translate well to any other position in Finance.

Unique Experience but overall positive

Senior Research Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros- Because of the timing of some department shifts I was able to have accelerated growth within the department. With that said there is room for growth alongside hard work.
    - Decent work-life balance
    - Pro professional designations (CFA/CAIA help financially)
    - Extremely intelligent co-workers

Cons- Salary; despite numerous promotions the ceiling for salary is not comparable to others in the area. Not to say you can't make a decent living, it's just not the same regarding salary level.
    - Communication between departments is limited, despite groups working together.
    - Consultant-first attitude leads to disdain towards consultants.
    - Too focused on low-turnover. Many employees skate by without really putting in the hours of others, but a refusal by management to cut ties leads to complacency and leads to bad work ethic going unpunished.

Advice to Senior Management- Re-evaluate how you view terminating employees. Your view towards retaining talent is good, but you allow complacency with tenured individuals who do not hold their weight.

Great Place to Start My Career!

Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros- Excellent Location in Arlington. Our building is right next to the Metro (Ballston on the Orange line). Our floors were recently renovated - two kitchens on each floor, a gym and parking downstairs, a cafe with good healthy food, large workspaces.

- Fun environment. Every month we have either bagels or ice cream socials for that month's birthdays. We have a Holiday party in December (last year it was at the Ritz in DC) and a Picnic in the summer.

- High Caliber Colleagues. My department is very selective when it comes to recruiting which means that all of my colleagues are highly capable individuals. It feels good knowing that my colleagues care just as much about their work as I do.

- Interesting Work. I can't share too much here, but I get to build relationships with individuals at all levels of Cambridge and as well as those that work at the industry's leading investment management firms.

- Generous Benefits. Tons of time off, comparively speaking, excellent health and 401k benefits.

- Opportunities for Advancement within the Firm. There are been at least 4 or 5 individuals in my department that have moved to other positions (vertically) within the last 8 months.

- Top-tier Management. Our management team is top-notch. They truly care about their teams and treat us with the utmost respect. They are in-tune to the fact that we won't be at Cambridge forever and provide us with general professional development whenever possible.

ConsI wish I was paid more - but doesn't everyone?! Some of the reviewers may complain about compensation at Cambridge, but new college grads will be able to afford a pretty comfortable living.

Good Company, Terrible Office/managers - Applies to Arlington - Wilson office

Associate/Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsVery easy work - could be done by 8th grader

ConsSkills learned apply only to company and don't transfer to other companies or positions unless data-entry is a career aspiration.
    People are promoted based on office politics and not merit
    Micro-managing is extremely prevalent
    Department is known as a "sweat-shop" to competing firms/investment firms
    Low Salary and minimal bonuses
    Work is mind-numbing and could be done by a grade school graduate

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate usefulness of the department

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!