Cambridge Associates, LLC

www.cambridgeassociates.com

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates(in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive(in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry(in 8 reviews)

Great entry level job - lots of opportunities for growth

Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsI've found my time at Cambridge to be incredibly rewarding thus far. Management is incredibly supportive and invested in your professional growth and development. The department that I work in has a very team-based, collegial atmosphere. People are very positive, upbeat, and willing to lend a hand. Lastly, the firm is a true meritocracy and hard work is always rewarded.

ConsGiven the nature of the finance industry, occasionally long hours are required. When you start out, you're not given too much paid vacation, but I believe by industry standards it is fairly generous.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the level of support and guidance you offer. This support coupled with the transparency provided is greatly appreciated.

great company that takes care of its employees - friendly atmosphere, lots of time off, telecommuting, flexible hours.

Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

Proswork-life balance
    friendly, non-competitive atmosphere
    employee-focused environment
    room for advancement
    fair salary especially considering time-off
    up to 3 days/week telecommuting in IT dept

Consnot a place for driven, workaholic types - work pace would be too slow, is not cutting edge IT development.
    company is becoming more impersonal as it expands.
    job satisfaction depends on department. entry-level research jobs are monotonous, sometimes have long hours.
    company is a little conservative. a bit of "this is the way it's always been done" mentality.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

My experience has been unique, rewarding and educational.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsRespectful management, Flexibility to balance work/personal commitments, Great compensation and bonuses, Recognition of a job well done.

ConsLong Hours, non-rapid growing roles

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Effort Driven Company - Great Opportunities

Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros+ Amazing room to grow if you're interested --> we house some of the most interesting (and confidential) information in the industry. We have access to EVERYTHING.
    + Wonderful department culture --> employees in my department have a fantastic outlook, are very team oriented, and senior management does an incredible job.
    + Room to grow if you put in the work --> I was promoted in less than a year because I take on extra work and am always willing to go the extra mile. Effort is truly rewarded.
    + Great benefits --> 4 weeks off after 1 year with the company
    + Non-exempt position --> starting January 1st, 2012, as a Junior RA or Research Associate, you earn time and a half for all overtime.

ConsThere is some monotonous work involved in these positions, but it lessens as you get further in to your role. Also, long(er) hours are no stranger to me, but it's not excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my department, we have some fantastic senior managers that we work with. My only advice is to make sure that we can take on everything that we commit to, because we take on an extraordinary amount of work and sometimes it leads to pretty crazy hours.

Interesting, Broadening, but can be limited career progression

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNice people, senior management makes the effort to get know you, Interesting topics and great depth in knowledge within the firm, good work life balance if you are in the right team

Constakes a long time to be promoted, not a lot of certainty about career path, as with many junior positions the work can get repetitive after a while

Great Culture, C-Level Mgmt Rocks!

ProsCulture
    Thought Leaders in Industry
    Benefits, Flexible hours
    Challenging Projects
    You see it, you get to fix it
    Great place for self starters
    People

ConsCommunications to middle management needs to improve, not enough networking events or opportunities so these future leaders can forge realationships

Getting Bigger, losing intimacy/closeness that is part of firm culture

Continuing Ed benefits could be better

Needs to be more innovative with regard to how research and investment reports are given to clients

Good first job in finance

Investment Performance Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis was a great opportunity out of college. Room to learn about alternative investments (private equity). Gain exposure to many different portfolios and private equity funds

ConsThere is not much room for advancement if you are there for more than 3 years and haven't been significantly promoted. High turnover at times

Good first job, but that's about it - not a learning environment and not much room for professional development.

Investment Performance Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsIt pays well, it's a decent introduction to the world of finance, lots of young people, and the benefits are nice.

ConsThe work lacks substance. As an associate, I would spend all my time hunting down performance numbers and checking work to make sure there were no obvious errors. If you had asked me on any day how the market was doing or what investment strategy seemed to be working, I would have had no clue.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't find much wrong with the leadership. The truth is that it is a job that needs to be done and the nature of that work did not suit me very well as an aspiring college grad looking to utilize my critical thinking/analytical abilities.

It has been comprised of long hours, very low pay, high demands, and little respect.

Consulting Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIf you want to go straight from undergrad to business school they have a great connection with top universities. Harvard, Yale, Wharton, etc consistently recruit from Cambridge.

ConsDont ever EVER work in the Dallas office.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great first job at a prestigious, well-known firm

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsAbility to work with sophisticated investors, plenty of resources for professional development during down time, extremely intelligent colleagues all over the globe

ConsMust wait for someone to leave before someone else can be promoted, work can be routine at times, limited management opportunities in some groups

Advice to Senior Managementkeep employees in the loop, continue to provide professional development activities,

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!