Cambridge Associates, LLC

Reset
3.7
Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie
Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • Good work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly (in 24 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 9 reviews)

1. Great clients and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stimulating from intellectual standpoint and review of all asset classes

Cons

Some difficult personalities but for the most part great people

2. Right for some.

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Excellent place to get broad exposure to asset classes, top-quality managers, clients who are hppy to push the envelope on creative ideas. Many very bright and engaging people at all levels of the company. The best consulting associates (post-BA) are quite brilliant and get good recommendations to business and law schools.

Cons

Compensation is still pretty low relative to Wall Street firms. Morale is not always too great as a result, because the equity owners of the firm have done extremely well in the meantime. Management has changed a lot over the last few years.

Manager Information Group

Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

As with other mid/back office roles, your job is to please everyone. The good thing in CA is that when you make a mistake, the management team tends to be very forgiving. The environment is encouraging and friendly (save for some competitive few who want to be part of the management team) - your strengths are appreciated and they will try to help you develop your weaknesses. Good for people who are interested to strive for designations such as CFA, CAIA, CIPM etc. as the company pays for those and you will have plenty of time to study.

You will learn mainly soft skills (multi-tasking, communication etc.) and not technical skills - you do get some asset classes overview, strategies but they are extremely generic and nothing that you can ever apply in other firms. Hence, it is a good first step into the industry but my advise is to leave after a year or else you will get stuck.

Cons

There is really very limited things you can learn, and very minimal that is applicable out of the firm unless you are interested in investor relations. When you move on to taking on management positions, your task is more focused on people development i.e. have check ins with members of the team to ensure that everyone is doing fine, write extremely detailed reviews for your team, interviewing of candidates (you will spend hours a week doing so), develop excel trackers to ensure that everyone is doing their work etc. basically, you lose touch with learning any technical skills that will enable you to move on to other roles unless you are looking to go into HR.

Culture is very sheltered, which is good for risk averse individuals who appreciate guidance, but is nothing like the "outside world". I felt like I was in school as we were highly encouraged to take part in auxiliary teams/ book clubs/ toast masters.

The ability to talk will bring you far. People who are PC can survive well - if you don't believe it, fake it till you make it because that's the key to survival and doing well here.

Advice to Management

Hire externally so that there will be more creativity. Everyone thinks alike and are extremely risk averse. Be truly open to ideas - not just claim that you are. Management loves to say that all ideas are good ideas and claim that they will consider them but you will soon realise that they don't, they just give you the impression that they do (so do ask questions and raise points as it gives you brownie points but beware of asking questions that they struggle to answer).

Stop being walking management books i.e. throwing management buzz words and quotes every now and then and then claiming that you and the firm embody such characteristics when after awhile you will realise that they don't- it will be good to have mentors/managers who speak from experience rather than those who just give us textbook answers to everything.

5. Recommend to anyone

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Great company, great culture. Looked forward to coming to work each day.

Cons

Work can be monotonous at times.

6. Performance Reporting Associate review

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture here is very vibrant, young and collegial, possibly because this is an entry level position and thus we primarily hire fresh graduates. When I first read up reviews about the firm, I thought the term "collegial culture" was simply a buzzword, but over the 2 years that I have been here, I can say I have truly immersed and experienced the culture of collegiality and strong emphasis on team work.
    - Flexibility and autonomy: Management here gives employees a lot of flexibility and autonomy to handle day to day operations. I am thankful that I do not have my boss breathing down my neck everyday!
    - Growth: There is a lot of room for growth and career development, especially given that I have joined as a fresh grad. Once again, management provides a lot of autonomy and gives us a lot of room to spearhead projects that we are interested in, as long as we have proven capable.
    - Emphasis on the individual driving your career development, with the support of management.

Cons

- Pay and benefits could be higher and more attractive.
    - There seems to be a career ceiling in the role once you have hit Senior Analyst (~3-4 years), especially if managerial positions do not open up.

7. Investment Operations Analyst

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

the people are great to work with and you have opportunities to lead projects right when you start, you can advance very quickly

Cons

-the pay is very bad for a finance industry position
    -there is room for growth but it is very limited
    -the work is extremely cyclical and can be draining at times

8. Great Place to Grow in the Investment Industry

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Plenty of material to emerge yourself in the investment community and intellectual colleagues that support a collaborative work environment

Cons

Large age gap. Everyone is either at a very mature stage in their career or just starting out.

Advice to Management

More emphasis needs to be made to retain talent

9. Investment Performance Associate - Performance Reporting Group

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

*I think VERY highly of the department's management. They genuinely care about you, open to talking about anything, and want to help you find what you like the most about the role and emphasize that.
    *Great, fun, young people
    *Work on some high profile clients
    *Awesome work life balance and autonomy for workflow – but opportunities for OT pay too
    *Develop a lot of necessary and transferable work skills
    *Access to top MBA programs
    *Opportunity to learn a lot of investment knowledge
    *Opportunity to really have an impact on a department

Cons

*Technologically behind
    *Work can get repetitive and dry
    *Low end for entry level finance salary
    *Can feel undervalued from investment teams

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, I am a proud Cambridge alumni. There are definitely things CA could improve on, but I think they do the most important things correctly. My biggest advice to management would be to adjust the training program so that it centers on financial/methodology/business knowledge more than systems knowledge. Kind of like how the bigger banks do it. Highlight your strengths, which are the people and the opportunities to learn interesting things. Working the systems should be more of a means to an end. Other than that, I think the department is on a great track.

10. Junior Operations Associate

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere
    Encouraging Management
    Great potential for growth in the company

Cons

None
    Work can get a little redundant

Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation time, benefits and learning opportunities.

Cons

Currently in the midst of a reorganization,

RSS Feed </> Embed