Cambridge Associates, LLC

Great Firm with Strong Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Much like any thing in life, you get out of it what you put into it. The firm values hard work, dedication, mission alignment, and intellectual curiosity. I found myself intellectually stimulated and was always encouraged to take on additional projects that were of interest or fit within my skill set. The experience I gained through both my normal position and the additional projects on which I worked gave me a rich story pool for business school essays.

The real reason you should consider Cambridge is for the people. Yes, the work can be hard. Yes, some parts of it can feel repetitive depending on your position in the organization. However, you will have the ability to work with, and more importantly learn from, exceptionally smart and talented people who take a personal interest in your success. The relationships I left with were truly invaluable, and I’m amazed at how much I grew, both personally and professionally, because of the mentorship I received while employed in the Dallas office.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, so if you need a title the transition may be difficult.

Advice to Management

Hire a dedicated CTO; that will fix many of the IT problems (planning, integration, incorporating strategic goals and technological capabilities, etc.). Don’t forget to nurture the culture. The culture (and tie in with our members) was one of my favorite things about working at Cambridge, and it transitioned/developed a distinct finance flare.

2. Great opportunity for knowledge building

Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A role in the Manager Information Group or Performance Reporting Group is a fantastic opportunity for individuals right out of college looking to break into developing asset class-based investing knowledge. The training program is not intimidating at all and allows individuals of all backgrounds to succeed, whether someone’s major was Finance, Accounting or French Literature; this also lends itself to those with more established careers that are looking for a switch into the investing world.

Cons

The role itself is a back-office support role; therefore someone is not going to be “making deals” or “making decisions.” However, the work an individual completes on a day-to-day, whether in Performance Reporting or the Manager Information Group, does help the front-office (consultants and research) to make the informed, thought-provoking decisions for Cambridge clients.

Advice to Management

Reduce the hierarchal structure and allow all members of the department shape the direction. For all of the emphasis management places on feedback and communication, it would best serve them to utilize the thoughts and suggestions provided to them rather than asking for feedback then doing something completely different.

3. Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice team, and working environment

Cons

Not so latest technology due to the financial platform, they are not a big fan of what is the latest technology.

5. Fantastic experience at the firm.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior staff invests in professional development of junior employees; great culture

Cons

Can't think of any--this is a phenomenal place to build a career.

Get off the sinking ship

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cambridge is a growing company. Cambridge has a unique culture like no other, they are client focused, and hard work oriented. In the financial world Cambridge is on top.

Cons

(IT) Management needs to get in touch with their employees; communication is seriously lacking always leaving employees wanting more or further discouraged, everyone is afraid of loosing their jobs, this has created an "on edge" work environment. Leaders lack accountability. Testing is not complete prior to huge projects mostly just thought up and implemented. The network crashes on a monthly basis, with no resolve and sugar covered explanations.

Advice to Management

Stabilize the network before implementing new procedures

7. A challenging and enriching career starter with a focus on people development and quality output.

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collegial environment, cross-collaboration with groups/departments, human capital and people focused, open-door policy management style, pairing interests and talents with projects, feedback focused and driven by constructive criticism

Cons

Conservative compensation, strict recruiting specifications

Advice to Management

Do not give up on the model of tapping talent for projects for the right employee it can be very empowering. Do continue to gather feedback on interests and have employees drive career path, but acknowledge when some individuals need the request or extra push.

8. Great company with opportunities to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well managed. Good work-life balance. Opportunities to work with talented colleagues.

Cons

Hard to jump to another group within the company.

Great place to start a career!

Current Employee - Junior Research Associate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Junior Research Associate in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exposure to prestigious clients and investment managers. Working at MIG has also honed my analytical skills and greatly increased my knowledge of various asset classes.
    - Amazing firm culture. Colleagues are wonderful and there is a great sense of camaraderie. Also, many opportunities to connect with colleagues in other countries.
    - Leaders are genuinely invested in employee's success. They care about you and your development, and a lot of effort is put into training and developing your strengths.
    - Many leadership opportunities and room for growth as MIG is just starting to be built out in Singapore.

Cons

- The MIG department in Singapore was recently set up, thus some basic teething problems here and there.
    - Job can be challenging as associates are responsible for multiple stakeholders. However, there is a lot of guidance from leaders and colleagues to help you along.

Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm very curious to see where this company is in 3-4 years. They are doing a lot of internal software development and are expanding their OCIO segment. Great company that listens to employees and helps them get to where they want to go from a career standpoint. Entry-level pay is not competitive but it definitely gets better as you are increasingly able to add more value to the business. Great boss, great colleagues, and great location. It truly is a very team-oriented environment.

Cons

I can see other folks in different positions within the company having some issues, but as it pertains to my job I really have a hard time coming up with cons.

Advice to Management

They know what they are doing and my advice is probably not super beneficial.

Great place to work hard and grow

Current Employee - Research Analyst - Manager Information Group in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have found Cambridge Associates to be a fantastic place to start my career. The Manager Information Group (MIG) has provided an environment where I have the opportunity to work hard and challenge myself everyday while being surrounded by friendly, intelligent, and driven young professionals doing the same. Cambridge has a strong firm-wide culture of collegiality and intellectual curiosity where learning is encouraged and questions are always welcome. Through close interactions with many different Cambridge departments and many different investment management firms, MIG Associates get a good glimpse of the full scope of Cambridge's business as well as exposure to the broader financial industry as well.

Cons

The role is constantly changing due to new firm and department initiatives which can both be exciting and tiring. The firm could benefit from increased investment in technology.

Advice to Management

Continue being open to innovation and committed to excellence. Complacency is the biggest risk.

RSS Feed </> Embed