Cambridge Associates, LLC

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Junior Investment Operations Associate

Pros

There are lots of great people, The team is young and tight knit, Work life balance is great, Management is approachable. Good for people who want to get into finance but don't have the background/experience.

Cons

The pay is not great. Need to keep up with competitors. Day to day work can be very tedious at times.

2. Investment Associate

Pros

Great atmosphere, and the hours, while not simply 9-5, are not as demanding as soon other entry level positions

Cons

You do not necessarily get to pick which of the investment group you are placed in despite having a preference

Advice to Management

Have a more thorough review of managing directors

3. Great company, some org issues

Pros

Cambridge has great people. On the client facing side, you get broad exposure to asset classes and the best investment managers in the world, and the client base is exceptional.

Cons

The company has had some issues around senior managers, organization, and succession creating some confusion and uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Get the organizational and succession issues sorted as soon as possible.

5. Great clients and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very stimulating from intellectual standpoint and review of all asset classes

Cons

Some difficult personalities but for the most part great people

6. Right for some.

Pros

Excellent place to get broad exposure to asset classes, top-quality managers, clients who are hppy to push the envelope on creative ideas. Many very bright and engaging people at all levels of the company. The best consulting associates (post-BA) are quite brilliant and get good recommendations to business and law schools.

Cons

Compensation is still pretty low relative to Wall Street firms. Morale is not always too great as a result, because the equity owners of the firm have done extremely well in the meantime. Management has changed a lot over the last few years.

Manager Information Group

Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

As with other mid/back office roles, your job is to please everyone. The good thing in CA is that when you make a mistake, the management team tends to be very forgiving. The environment is encouraging and friendly (save for some competitive few who want to be part of the management team) - your strengths are appreciated and they will try to help you develop your weaknesses. Good for people who are interested to strive for designations such as CFA, CAIA, CIPM etc. as the company pays for those and you will have plenty of time to study. You will learn mainly soft skills (multi-tasking, communication etc.) and not technical skills - you do get some asset classes overview, strategies but they are extremely generic and nothing that you can ever apply in other firms. Hence, it is a good first step into the industry but my advise is to leave after a year or else you will get stuck.

Cons

There is really very limited things you can learn, and very minimal that is applicable out of the firm unless you are interested in investor relations. When you move on to taking on management positions, your task is more focused on people development i.e. have check ins with members of the team to ensure that everyone is doing fine, write extremely detailed reviews for your team, interviewing of candidates (you will spend hours a week doing so), develop excel trackers to ensure that everyone is doing their work etc. basically, you lose touch with learning any technical skills that will enable you to move on to other roles unless you are looking to go into HR. Culture is very sheltered, which is good for risk averse individuals who appreciate guidance, but is nothing like the "outside world". I felt like I was in school as we were highly encouraged to take part in auxiliary teams/ book clubs/ toast masters. The ability to talk will bring you far. People who are PC can survive well - if you don't believe it, fake it till you make it because that's the key to survival and doing well here.

Advice to Management

Hire externally so that there will be more creativity. Everyone thinks alike and are extremely risk averse. Be truly open to ideas - not just claim that you are. Management loves to say that all ideas are good ideas and claim that they will consider them but you will soon realise that they don't, they just give you the impression that they do (so do ask questions and raise points as it gives you brownie points but beware of asking questions that they struggle to answer). Stop being walking management books i.e. throwing management buzz words and quotes every now and then and then claiming that you and the firm embody such characteristics when after awhile you will realise that they don't- it will be good to have mentors/managers who speak from experience rather than those who just give us textbook answers to everything.

8. Recommend to anyone

Pros

Great company, great culture. Looked forward to coming to work each day.

Cons

Work can be monotonous at times.

9. Performance Reporting Associate review

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture here is very vibrant, young and collegial, possibly because this is an entry level position and thus we primarily hire fresh graduates. When I first read up reviews about the firm, I thought the term "collegial culture" was simply a buzzword, but over the 2 years that I have been here, I can say I have truly immersed and experienced the culture of collegiality and strong emphasis on team work. - Flexibility and autonomy: Management here gives employees a lot of flexibility and autonomy to handle day to day operations. I am thankful that I do not have my boss breathing down my neck everyday! - Growth: There is a lot of room for growth and career development, especially given that I have joined as a fresh grad. Once again, management provides a lot of autonomy and gives us a lot of room to spearhead projects that we are interested in, as long as we have proven capable. - Emphasis on the individual driving your career development, with the support of management.

Cons

- Pay and benefits could be higher and more attractive. - There seems to be a career ceiling in the role once you have hit Senior Analyst (~3-4 years), especially if managerial positions do not open up.

10. Investment Operations Analyst

Pros

the people are great to work with and you have opportunities to lead projects right when you start, you can advance very quickly

Cons

-the pay is very bad for a finance industry position -there is room for growth but it is very limited -the work is extremely cyclical and can be draining at times

11. Great Place to Grow in the Investment Industry

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

Plenty of material to emerge yourself in the investment community and intellectual colleagues that support a collaborative work environment

Cons

Large age gap. Everyone is either at a very mature stage in their career or just starting out.

Advice to Management

More emphasis needs to be made to retain talent

RSS Feed </> Embed