Cambridge Associates, LLC

www.cambridgeassociates.com

Cambridge Associates, LLC Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Cambridge Associates, LLC – Boston – “A global leader of investment advisory services”

Cambridge Associates, LLC Chairman and CEO Sandra A. Urie

Sandra A. Urie

Pros
  • For the industry, there is good work/life balance at Cambridge Associates (in 22 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn about all asset classes through due diligence on top investment managers, research, etc (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours during peak periods, work can sometimes be repetitive (in 12 reviews)

• status reporting, and (3) data entry (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

work life balance is great but not a ton of responsiblity

Senior Investment Performance Analyst (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

Prosdepartment was young and work life balance

Conslevel of responsibility and opportunities for growth

Great Place..esp for the young and restless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat place to start a career in investment management.

ConsIf you are not coming from a handful of colleges where the company actively recruits, you may find yourself left out of the party.

Great Company to start career

Senior Consulting Associate (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat Benefit Package,
    Depending on position, you have great exposure to investment management from some highly skilled consultants.
    Wide array of tools to develop skills and career.
    Subsidized CFA exam fees, if pass
    Great atmosphere. Steady Work/Life balance.

ConsLow Salary compared to profession.
    Associates do most of work, little to no recognition
    Different personalities, some consultants are better to work with than others
    Company is way behind when it comes to systems and technology.
    Feels as if the firm is very reactionary at time

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees love the promote with-in structure, but there needs to be a system in place to allow investment professionals to stay with CA and be promoted to next tier.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cambridge Associates - Manager Information Group

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros- Overtime not required very often
    - Access to robust database of research and historical data
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    - Cheap movie tickets

Cons- IT challenged
    - Incompetent management at lower levels
    - Ineffective with internal communication
    - Limited opportunities for advancement
    - Unsatisfactory training at most levels

Advice to Senior ManagementHeading in the right direction with benefits, but will not be truly effective in retaining talent until salaries increase

Excellent experience where I learned a lot very quickly and had access to incredibly talented investment professionals.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood work / life balance with opportunities to learn a lot about portfolio management quickly.

ConsThere is a ceiling on how high you can move up and the pay grades by department are a little skewed. Like most other finance jobs, associates do the leg work and don't get recognized for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize young employees better so that you retain talent longer. Provide more career opportunities into middle management positions.

Smart colleagues, changing department with lots of opportunities, but long and unpredictable hours detract from job

Team Lead and Investment Performance Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThis is a changing firm and department with a relatively new management team (about a year tenure). The new management team is dedicated to the department and has put PRG on the right track. Employee engagement increased significantly with the new management team, which I felt was a big positive. Because of the changes there are lots of opportunities within the department to get noticed and grow. If you put yourself out there and get involved, then the managing team will notice you and reward you for your dedication. Colleagues are smart, and you get access to a lot of great research, as well as access to hedge fund and long-only managers. I think this is a good place for an entry level individual, as you will learn valuable skills and get access to really smart people.

ConsThe hours can be long and unpredictable, especially around 7-12th business days each month, depending on your client load. Also the ability to move elsewhere in the company isn't clear. If you are not entry level and have a few years of work experience, the growth potential is not as great as fresh out of college.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the plan to improve the department and keep engaging employees.

Save Your Soul; Do NOT work in IT!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFlexible hours, good work/life balance, very friendly people to work with.

ConsCompensation is a JOKE. If you're a developer, you will never use the latest technologies. 90% of our applications are not MVC based and because we are not a tech firm, there is no interest in pushing for using more robust languages or technologies. If you try to push for making something better or faster by implementing a new process or framework, you will get shut down because everyone in IT is afraid of change. Most developers have been around since the early 90s and have not bothered to learn any new languages since then (all while getting cost of living raises throughout the years). All of our new applications and new projects are being completely outsourced and costing the firm hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Developer roles are now completely support based, no new development is happening.

This is an investing firm, not a tech firm and IT is always considered a support role to the firm's decisions. Currently everyone in the firm thinks IT is a joke because we have major operational issues and cannot keep servers running smoothly. This then drives the idea that we need to outsource everything instead of promoting/hiring people who actually know what they're doing.

Don't be a part of this sinking ship.

Mixed feelings about PRG/MIG experiences thus far.

Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros- The consultants are smart, hard working, and dedicated to C|A's cause.
    - The firm is well respected; a thought leader within the pension/endowment space.
    - Strong work ethic exhibited throughout the firm.
    - Generous earned time off.
    - Fellow analysts are pretty cool.

Cons- Management in PRG/MIG is extreme in their views.
    - Limited internal mobility both within the department and at the firm.
    - Monotonous work and underpaid for extreme work hours.
    - Little to no recognition for work being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to firm wide management: take a second look at how the Wilson office employees are managed.
    Open internal opportunities to all employees.
    Focus more on development and less on keeping the norm.

Good place to start if interested in Finance

Client Operations (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsLots of young professionals
    Challenging/Interesting work

ConsTechnology is outdated for needs of company
    Pay is lower than expected

Advice to Senior ManagementFix Technology

Great entry level job with good benefits

Research Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsVery casual atmosphere, a lot of really nice people to work with.

ConsThe pay is slightly below competitors and there is fairly high turnover among junior employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to facilitate better retention

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!