Cambridge International Systems

Kimberly Harokopus

1. I learned good things there

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Cambridge International Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will give you opportunities.

Cons

You can get laid off at any given time.

Advice to Management

Give us a warning.

2. 5 years with program and after 6 months with Cambridge, I bailed.

I have been working at Cambridge International Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allowed for continued, uninterrupted support of the customer.

Cons

Very little managerial involvement: I would submit a monthly report and receive a paycheck. PM had very little interest or knowledge in my functional area and showed no interest in interacting with the customer. Benefits were slim: meager PTO, $500/year for tuition and education assistance.

Advice to Management

As a "legacy" employee on a contract, I felt zero support from Cambridge. It was as if my "legacy" status meant that I could run on autopilot, I am sure this would be great for some employees, but for not for me.

3. Unbalanced and going nowhere

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cambridge International Systems

Pros

Started out great, team was all about getting the work done, had support from customer, work appeared to be solid and progressing.

Cons

Certain members of team proved to be untrained or incompetent, customer interaction was spotty, and project work ground to a halt after about 90-120 days on program. No clear signs of resolution or mitigation seen, too much emphasis on programmatic milestones and not as much on technical achievements.

Advice to Management

Take an interest in your staff and accommodate their needs and strengths. Make the office (either in-house or with the customer) somewhere you want to be, not just a place to go collect a paycheck.

5. Great Company with a great mission....National Defense

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cambridge International Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding culture where employees talents, experiences, and opinions are valued. Everyone contributes to the mission and the company success. We work with a sense of urgency focused on our clients success. Personal and professional growth is only limited by your imagination. Contributions are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Great office location in Arlington with paid parking but a difficult commute from the suburbs

6. Abundance of Opportunities

Current Employee - Virtual Performance Administrator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Virtual Performance Administrator in Arlington, VA

Pros

I started at Cambridge as an intern. My management was very active in exposing me to different aspects Cambridge's business. Many senior members of Cambridge took the time to sit down with em and explain their departments, they gave me assignments which lead me to gain an understanding of the interconnection of the different departments in this company. I learned not only, the norms of these departments but specifically the Cambridge way of doing things. After a year of interning, I was hired on as a full time employee. I still feel like I am being exposed to the latest technology and many of the senior managers still take the time to help me understand how I can do my job better and more efficiently. I believe I will take these suggestions and advice with in any career I may have down the line. Ultimately, I would like to move up at Cambridge. They have given me many opportunities in fields which I never thought I would be exposed to. I feel I thrive in this environment because of the closeness and support of the people I work with. Even though Cambridge is a rapidly growing environment, employees are empowered with the ability to obtain the tools they need to be successful. I have seen this company double in size since my intern days. The executives and senior management have been more than helpful in making sure everyone has the tools they need to be successful in their positions. Ultimately, they want us to be successful in all that we do. It is a great advantage to be so close to the leaders of our company. I am on a first name basis with the C.E.O and President. I feel like they both are approachable and more than willing to listen to any concerns or ideas that I may have.

Cons

While the headquarters is in a wonderful location, right on top of the Court House metro station, it may be hard to find parking visitors and interviewees. I would suggest calling ahead and getting directions to the underground garage (which we do validate)

Advice to Management

I feel like the management has gone above and beyond in helping me grow personally. I see people promoted within the company which is something I look for in a company. I have seen them train their staff as well. Many of my colleges have received relevant certifications to their positions. I would advise the management to keep these programs and training. These type trainings keep us up to date and able to remain competitive with our competition.

7. Good small defense contractor

I have been working at Cambridge International Systems full-time

Pros

Good business development and standardized business processes

Cons

Very competitive marketplace, expect to do contribute to multiple proposals each year.

8. Cambridge is growing and a great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

The company was recently awarded several new contracts and is well positioned to win more contracts from government and commercial clients. Cambridge has a lot of experiences overseas. Overall, it's an exciting place to work.

Cons

The company has an entrepreneurial culture. It may not be a good fit for people who prefer to work for a large company that has a large bureaucracy.

Staffing

Former Employee - Senior Logsitics Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Logsitics Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cambridge International Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not sure there was any?

Cons

Company understaffed, mis-allocated staff and undermanaged (didnt hire an "official" project/program mgr) a brand new team supporting a government contract.

10. All in all not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Cambridge International Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, management was decent, but confusing with constant changes

Cons

Management may have been a little too not involved at times.

11. Jury is still out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

While I very much enjoy working there I have not been there long enough to accurately provide a review at this time.

Cons

Still need to be working there longer before I can respond.

RSS Feed </> Embed