CambridgeSoft Reviews

1 Rating

1. Great company with great people

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CambridgeSoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent upward mobility; flexible management structure. They were really good about letting you manage your own growth path as long as you were providing value to the organization as a whole.

Cons

Need to make your own path; nothing "automatic" about career growth. You just have to take initiative and start doing something, for a while, before it's recognized. If you do that, however, this becomes the Pro of managing your own growth path. It was a culture that did not work for everyone.

2. PKI killed CambridgeSoft

Former Employee - ChemDraw in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - ChemDraw in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CambridgeSoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ChemDraw is state of the art and known to every chemist in the world.

Cons

The business leaders of PerkinElmer have applied business rules that make sense for enriching the board of directors but make no sense from the perspective of improving science or for maintaining staff morale. If you're a Big Pharma customer, you get good service -- but for the 99% who make up the rest, don't bother asking for assistance.

Have decisions made by scientists, not MBAs. And listen to what your customers say about support -- it's terrible -- and it is the reason you are losing customers left and right to your competition.

3. Flexible company but management leaves much to be desired

Current Employee - Services Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Services Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CambridgeSoft

Pros

The work life balance is great. The flex-time is great to balance a busy schedule. There is also alot of opportunity to move around between departments to learn different jobs.

Cons

There is little opportunity for career advancement. Promotions, bonuses and raises are not gives out by merit. There is really no standard process for performance reviews.

Project teams are typically understaffed.

It would be nice to have a formal performance review in palce so that you can figure out how you're doing. And what is the policy for getting a raise? There's nothing written down.

Also, the process of understaffing project teams is horrible. It makes us look bad to our customers.

5. Learning experience

Former Contractor - Professional Services
    Former Contractor - Professional Services

I worked at CambridgeSoft as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Wide range of opportunity to learn and practice new skills

Cons

Management lacks structure and focus

6. Absolute learning experience and freedom to achieve your goals

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at CambridgeSoft as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

This was very horizontal organisation where honestly pays off well and management recognize your personal efforts by way of personal appreciation and believing in your decision, I got full control to run my territory in my own style and there was NO continuous reporting or banging on my head

Cons

They never invested strategically in hiring more people and upgrading their technologies. Very much large accounts oriented strategies which never took them towards Mass business across the world.

You guys done great but it could have been much better. You had to rely on good guys and had to kick out loose guys un till waiting too long. There are more business outside the portfolio of large accounts which you missed paying attention to.