Camden Council

3.7

Camden Council Mayor Jonathan Simpson
Jonathan Simpson

Legal intern

I worked at Camden Council as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly people, happy to let me do fairly advanced work considering I was still doing a law degree at the time. Generous lunch allowance. Good hours.

Cons

Lack of structure - there were often days when I didn't have anything to do and wasn't given any tasks when I asked for them.

Great Experience, learned a lot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Camden Council full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, senior management very helpful, the colleagues help you when you requested. Excellent work-life balance with flexible working hours and being able to work from home. Nonetheless, a few colleagues considered a day off.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. To execute a project, demanded a number of departments which didn't help much. The work is not fast paced.

loved it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Camden Council full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great fellow workers who care about you.

Cons

General public thinking public sector workers "have it easy". NOT true. Unless you are a very senior manager, life is in fact harder than at any private company I ever worked at in my 20 yr career. The satisfaction comes from helping the community you serve and ensuring that you always are available to help out.

I love change in the workplace, it is entirely necessary but please do not change for change's sake. Not all change is positive. You must also realize that you can not make "one size fits all" policies as it does not work in practice and actually hinders your services.

Project Manager Corporate ICT

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Camden Council full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn and develop, can be challenging and exciting place to work as latest technology is often being implemented.

Cons

Local government, too slow to make a decision, too poorly paid for expected work output, too focused on getting external resources to deliver what can be easily delivered in house. When in house resources are taped they are expected to work for little resource with out investment in their development.

Stop tinkering with the organisation, change for the sake of change is not going to produce the desired results if your focusing on the next big change without completing the one thats under way, invest in your staff, the level of attrition is getting awful, read between the lines your loosing your best and brightest

ok if your looking for a regular 9-5

I worked at Camden Council

Pros

the flexible working arrangements, holidays and training opportunities are really good especially if you have children or other interests. you have the option to work from home and finish at 4.

Cons

there is a lot of bureaucracy, career progression can be limited and there are a lot of disgruntled employees who make life a little harder

Varied, depended on line manager, but good overall

I worked at Camden Council

Pros

Good company, seen as a leading driver in their field. A lot of good will, staff prepared to go over and above job role to provide high quality services

Cons

Some resistance to change and severe financial cut backs led to uncertainty and loss of valued staff and services

Actually taking action with the managers who neglect their people management responsibilities would benefit the organistaion