Camden Property

www.camdenliving.com

Camden Property Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Richard J. Campo

Camden is as good as the person standing in front of you

Property Manager (Current Employee)

Pros* Excellent benefits. Insurance, 401k matching, employee stock purchase program, EAP, discounts, scholarships for children of employees, etc. A friend of mine left Camden (in a lateral move) to work for Greystar making about 5K more per year. Her insurance expenses more than doubled and ultimately took a pay cut. She also recognized the loss of value the company had on each employee. After a couple of years now, she is still surprised at the lack of interest in her personal contribution at Greystar and found that the grass was not greener, it wasn't even grass.
    * Camden's insurance is good, there are several options depending on your need, and I've never had an issue finding a good provider.
    * Competitive salaries in addition to really good benefits. (not just benefits, GOOD benefits)
    * Business practices and procedures are founded on experience, feedback and good Values. They listen to their employees at ALL levels. If front-line employees are disgruntled, unhappy or think their supervisor is unfair they provide hotlines and feedback avenues. HR doesn't take that sort of thing lightly and they don't ever take sides, they are fact-based, legal, moral and fair.
    * They want to be the best employer in addition to being the best multi-family (R.E.I.T.) housing provider. They work as hard to keep their employees happy as they do to keep their customers (renters) happy. The want to maintain the "Best Place to Work" designation so they seek feedback often and make changes based on the feedback.
    * Management is intuitive and often provides systems, support, or programs before the teams even know they need it.

Cons* Like any organization, they can have people in positions that can have a negative impact on fellow employees, customers and subordinates. I have been employed by at least four other multi-family organizations. None hold a candle to Camden's loyalty to their people and their customer.
    * The last two years have been more difficult than normal. Updates in software, hardware, systems and some practices have been more difficult to understand and deliver on-site. Employees at ANY other multi-family company would treasure and safeguard every effort Camden makes to support their teams. Employees at other companies and would roll their eyes at whining front-liners who sit online and write how bad the company instead of using one of the 11 ways they can DO something about it.
    * No matter what company you work for, or how much support the organization offers, there will be people who don't fully represent and execute Camden's Values, Brand and Promise.
    **Even though Camden blows other companies away and is driven to be an amazing employer, one person having a bad day, a bad life, or a bad attitude can interfere with their intentions. It's life. It's not a Con.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay connected, keep asking, listen and listen for consistency. Help your managers grow their employees to be more informed and realize how good they really have it.

Management does not listen

Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFun environment, something new everyday, meet a lot of interesting people.

ConsUpper management only listens to the property manager. I left because I felt the PM was doing things that were highly questionable and immoral. When I left half the staff left with me. Upper management needs to listen to the leasing consultants, assistant managers and maintenance staff instead of just the property managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all your staff.

Great values, not always applied in all regions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, Great hours, Company is built on great values, Fun is had at major events

ConsSalary is one of the lowest in the industry, not all areas of company get to experience the same fun events.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the values, in good times and bad.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Favoritism, Racism, and Mean Girls

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsFree food sometimes, good training

ConsNo overtime, no fairness in work schedule, change management around a lot, no room for advancement, backstabbing, cheating, lying, bullying, upper management does not listen to or care about employees, people will do anything to make money, the property manager has your future in their hands, you can't apply for another position or job internally without the permission of the property manager, which is bad if they don't like you!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the lower level staff and pay them more! They are doing ALL the work and getting almost minimum wage! Also change the way that employees move up the ladder! It should not be up to the property manager to decide if you can apply or interview for a better position at a different property!

Absolutely Amazing!

Assistant Community Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsManagement does care about you. Great open door policy and the opportunity to grow.

ConsNot all properties are equal. Your experience at one property, whether with co-workers or customers can be very different at another.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, we are not all crazy.

Camden Property Management Review

Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAlthough scarce there are still great leaders at Camden that can bring it back to what it claims to be. The benefits are good, the product is great and its reputation with contractors is outstanding. No doubt Camden pays its bills on time and takes care of their communities.

ConsCamden has been an incredible company in the past and will be again if...the principles of the company stop and look at the big picture. Below I have listed some events that I feel support my statement.

When the economy took a flying leap of the planet in 2008, Camden made some big changes including semi-dismantling the construction part of the company... regrettable but I can only assume necessary. Unfortunately they placed the head of construction in charge of the operation people side of the company. Maybe they didn't realize they were promoting self-centered, selfish, and self-serving people on a take no prisoners type of mission. For the sake of identification, I will refer to them as the "Houston Mean Team" or HMT. They were responsible for the divide, conquer and eliminate movement that has been going on ever since the HMT took over.
    As the HMT got their claws in good and solid they began placing their own friends at the top of the food chain. Their true colors didn't start shining through for a while, but enough has happened that the principles have surely noticed.

Although the principles verbalize that they appreciate and care about each and every person they employ...the buck stops there. The HMT has systematically eliminated anyone they feel doesn't fit their idea of a "leader". To them a leader doesn't question, state an opinion, disagree or argue, they expect you to do what you’re told, and if it’s not right... too bad...take the blame. The HMT might make you look like you can't handle the position you were hired for or… you are very negative.

Camden use to allow for individual thinking and encouraged discussions, opinions and suggestions, to some degree they still do but... no one dares verbalize it. Not if they want to end up out of a job. For the most part the HMT did a good job of making you look bad while they laid track. This process can take a while but to them it’s worth it. Those that take on the HMT might find that they receive an e-mail requesting their presence at the corporate office...the employee might ask if everything is ok...they might be told everything is "perfecto". Once they arrive at corporate they might be greeted by a senior supervisor with a hug and a smile...walk you down to another supervisor’s office with their arm warped around yours as if they are a best friend. Before you even sit down they may tell you they have decided to dismiss you...the employee might ask why they might respond with "it’s in writing in front of you...read it later and leave"...then they might escort you to the elevator...get in with you and smile with great satisfaction all the way down. But they might give you one final demand before you leave...they might tell you that you better not contact your friends at Camden. The HMT's opinion of themselves is so much so they think they have the right to tell you what you can and can't do even after they have kicked you out the door.

I remember when the principles use to be proud of how long team members had worked for them, they use to ask us to stand up based on how long we had been there. They would call out One year...more than two...more than 5...and so on. Unfortunately the principles have not asked that question over the last two years...I wonder why...

I believe Camden can and will turn it around, there is a young man who is being groomed to take over the family business...as it should be...conversations with him speak volumes about his character...he will bring Camden back to what it was...one of the best places to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI only ask that principles (owners) take my review seriously...if nothing else dig a little and ask staff member's to share their true thoughts without repercussions. I'm gone so I have nothing to gain but the good people still there can be helped. That being said...don't let the people in charge of Houston under you do the asking...no one will talk.

Absolutely NOT~

Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCan't think of anything at all.

ConsToo many politics~ People in upper management are BLIND to events and need to re-evaluate why they are in a people industry . They treat them without any dignity or repspect and that goes for employees as well as residents

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give because they DO NOT LISTEN

A company that truly cares about their employees!

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities, Efficient business practices, Fantastic support system, Benefits which surpass traditional ideas. Forbes 10 Best Companies to work for 6 years in a row! Great company culture!

ConsIncome is limited until you reach upper management levels. Because many employees tenure is long, you may have a few in front of you for promotions. On the positive side, Camden is growing and they like to promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers should spend a full day on site every quarter; this will keep onsite challenges fresh in their minds.

Excellent!

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsA company where the employees come first! They truly care about the employees and provide a positive working environment. They provide the tools you need to do your job and offer great pay and benefits

ConsNone come to mind - great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work - people come first!

Corporate and Management plays Politics

Nope (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany has lots of benefits, decent pay, paid holidays, company events and fun activities. Sometimes out to eat on company dollar, including alcohol.

ConsWhere to start...Politics plays a huge role in the corporate office. If you are not a current manager onsite good luck getting into corporate, unless you want to work in the call center. They seem to lean towards hiring Women since most people in the corporate office are women. If you have a degree and experience it doesnt matter, they'll pick someone who has less experience and no degree just because they know that person. They like to steal ideas from the younger employees and give no credit where due

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give advice, but its likely to: 1) Be Used and credit not given or 2) Ignored.

Worked for Camden Property? Contribute to the Community!