Cameco

Add Photos

Cameco CEO Tim Gitzel

Tim Gitzel

Great Benefits Not much else

ProsPay is decent, benefits package is great. Seems to be some departments that are run well

ConsManagement seems clueless in some departments and good in others.
    Management piles on more and more work without adjusting priorities or adding resources.
    Wrong people get ahead in the company. People that are obviously in it only for themselves are managers/directors
    Newer culture of sacrifice seems to be pushed to employees as if the company is a charity not a company that makes hundreds of millions a year.
    Terrible culture is stifling creativity and innovation for a number of years now.
    Engagement has been dropping significantly and our department seemed to take and approach of trying to convince us that we didn't understand some of the questions and how we were mistaken.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you keep overworking your employees and not giving them the resources they need, the best talent will continue to leave. You are fortunate to have extraordinary deposits under your control but seem to think that your position is a result of good management. It is not.

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlex time, benefits, community involvement

ConsFavoritism, brown nosing gets you far, lack of leadership

Meh, good entry level opportunities I guess

Staff Geologist (Former Employee) Douglas, WY

ProsInsurance and benefits were good

ConsLow salaries by industry standard. Little opportunity for advancement. Cameco basically trains employees for better jobs somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement views government regulators with open disdain in company meetings. This is highly inappropriate and has led to complications with permitting and mining.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An uneven company

ProsPossess high potential - the best uranium reservoirs
    Good benefits
    Good marketplace position
    Good human resources department
    Good facilities, well equipped

ConsManagement lacks of results-oriented attitude, not trained on bringing the best out of their supervisees
    Close-minded to changes and new ideas
    Business plan execution lagging behind schedule (as inferred from public info) brings worries to employees
    Bad organizational climate, lack of motivation, unclear directions, lack of career planning
    Unclear policy regarding sick leave

Advice to Senior ManagementRewards could be granted to the right people (results-oriented)

Summer Engineering Intern

Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros-Good camp amenities considering the remoteness of the location.
    -Week on/Week off. Great schedule for a student. Good atmosphere in camp among Cameco employees.
    -Very good compensation.
    -Great safety culture.

Cons-A lot of money wasting for a facility that was still under construction! Suggestions of improved processes were lost in the shuffle.
    -Some communication issues with cross-shift. Inefficient staffing process.
    -Felt underutilized, and supervisors didn't have a response. A lot of other staff seemed underutilized, too.
    -A lot of transient staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of money literally "being thrown down a hole" without a lot of understanding of where it's going. Overall satisfaction would be improved if this was fixed.

Overall Review

Training Specialist (Current Employee) Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

ProsPay, benefits, people, holidays, work life

ConsDifficult to move in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to follow through on commitments

challenging, very conservative, lots of generation gap issues, great health plan, and wasteful on water

Geological Technician (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in the exploration and mining operations, a sort of front line soldier, and out looking for new deposits. I enjoyed the northern Saskatchewan climate, terrain and especially the traditional people who still live off the land. Majority of the people I worked with understood team ethics and getting along, make the best of the time away from home. I learned about the whole uranium industry and geology with Cameco from the veteran geologists who were willing to share knowledge.

ConsEgo's, too many Mr. know it all's. Lack of communication skills from both management and employees.
    Big time generation gap issues.
    Wasteful on water use
    Power struggles
    People bringing home issues to workplace.
    Lack of conflict resolution skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew employees would like to feel valued. When people resign from Cameco, like less than a 2 years, should that not be a concern and ask why.
    Workload during the drilling season did not equal compensation very well. Diamond drillers were making more than Cameco employees!?!?

One a few places to work in Saskatoon at the IT Enterprise level

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

ProsCompany is rowing rapidly.
    Good IT senior management.

ConsAdvancement paths are still being worked on by management

Good Until the End

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefit package is second to none, compensation is fair/above-industry standards, bonuses are fitted to the job that you perform and your ability to execute tasks. Work-life balance is encouraged.

ConsYou are at the whim of the industry in this company. Upper management team does not seem to be all on the same page, which makes for mixed messages making its way to the workplaces.

As if they just started the company yesterday

ProsBig company can keep people employed.

Cons-top heavy; too many chiefs
    -lack of responsibility on part of supervisors.
    -hires contractors instead of permanent employees so stockholders are not affected.
    -bad communication between mine cross shifts
    -constant changing if chiefs brings in inconsistency. Constant change and no establishment of patterns leads to confusion among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's going to take a lot of work.

Worked for Cameco? Contribute to the Community!