Cameco Reviews

Cameco CEO Tim Gitzel
Tim Gitzel

1. good company

I worked at Cameco

Pros

cool head office in Saskatoon.

Cons

dress code. really do I need to wear a tie everyday? They will keep losing employees to oil patch if salaries don't increase.

keep up the good work.

Many Positives, Lots of Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Cameco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In general, Cameco has shown themselves to be quite supportive of their employees. I have observed quite a bit of internal advancement. The benefits are great. Working at a Cameco site on a 1-week rotation allows for a lot of personal freedom. My supervisors have been consistently supportive, capable, and generally good people. My departments have always come together as great teams; I think that is a testimony to a solid underlying company culture. I know that all departments don't have it that easy, but it is clear that the potential for great teamwork is there and that it is supported. The current senior leadership seems to have the right vision to ensure that the company thrives over the long term.

Cons

The current market for uranium makes it hard for the company and its people to truly excel at anything beyond austerity. It seems that the reckless spending attitude of the uranium boom era has become embedded in some parts of the organization, which can make it hard to achieve meaningful change. There are some very diverse organizational cultures throughout the company, and they don't always line up.

Consider getting people exposed to the different arms of the company. This could mean something as simple as general information sessions and knowledge sharing, or more long-term options like encouraging more frequent lateral transfers. There is a potential benefit to having our leaders gain a greater understanding of what the economic impact of the chilled uranium market means for day-to-day business.

3. OK

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Cameco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work was challenging at times.

Cons

Lack of direction at mine site. Corporate management (Saskatoon) not in tune with US operations. Take too long to make decisions, over analyze everything. Preach safety, but don't always follow through.

5. Good company, great benefits, however it feels like the company is stagnating, the people are jaded and often miserable.

I have been working at Cameco full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Lots of opportunities for advancement
    Interesting work
    Unique working style - at northern mine sites

Cons

Northern employees are jaded, miserable, difficult to break in with as a new employee
    Lots of bureaucracy, feels difficult to get any actual work done
    Combative relationship between Corporate and northern mine sites
    Remote working environment
    Little support for new employees

Develop more comprehensive on-boarding system

6. Junior

I worked at Cameco

Pros

Good worklife balance, and good pormotions

Cons

not many cons, mostly pros

7. Good place to work

I have been working at Cameco full-time

Pros

Good reputation in the community. Lots of volunteer opportunities. The benefits are really good. I have a flexible boss so that works well for me. I really like the work I do and there are lots of opportunities for creativity and advancement.

Cons

Corporate office and sites are very different cultures. Corporate is a bit stuffy and sites are quite informal. It makes for a strained relationship between the two.

There needs to be more consistency from one department or site to the other. Some managers are very strict and some are flexible. It is hard for the people in the strict groups to see how good others have it.

8. Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Geologist in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Geologist in Casper, WY

I worked at Cameco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, good bonus system.

Cons

Not much room for movement.

9. Great Benefits Not much else

I have been working at Cameco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, benefits package is great. Seems to be some departments that are run well

Cons

Management seems clueless in some departments and good in others.
    Management piles on more and more work without adjusting priorities or adding resources.
    Wrong people get ahead in the company. People that are obviously in it only for themselves are managers/directors
    Newer culture of sacrifice seems to be pushed to employees as if the company is a charity not a company that makes hundreds of millions a year.
    Terrible culture is stifling creativity and innovation for a number of years now.
    Engagement has been dropping significantly and our department seemed to take and approach of trying to convince us that we didn't understand some of the questions and how we were mistaken.

If you keep overworking your employees and not giving them the resources they need, the best talent will continue to leave. You are fortunate to have extraordinary deposits under your control but seem to think that your position is a result of good management. It is not.

10. Good Until the End

I worked at Cameco

Pros

Benefit package is second to none, compensation is fair/above-industry standards, bonuses are fitted to the job that you perform and your ability to execute tasks. Work-life balance is encouraged.

Cons

You are at the whim of the industry in this company. Upper management team does not seem to be all on the same page, which makes for mixed messages making its way to the workplaces.

11. Great experience

Former Employee - Technical Specialist
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist

I worked at Cameco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and lots of community involvement

Cons

Current officers have too much focus on shareholders and not on long term company health

Assess long term risks to make business decisions rather than short term stock holder happimess