Camp Bow Wow Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
CEO

Pros
  • Work with dogs and bring your dog to work (in 13 reviews)

• To top it all off, you can bring your dog to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes there are a lot of dogs and there is a lot of cleaning involved, (in 4 reviews)

• Paid minimum wage for a lot of hard work (in 3 reviews)

1. HORRIBLE owner Steve

I worked at Camp Bow Wow part-time

Pros

Loved working there. The manager Omar was amazing, not only with the animals, but a real good customer service guy. He makes sure the clients are happy. He is also a great team player and helps out the staff whenever he can. He makes sure we all are doing our jobs as well as having a good time doing it. I loved my coworkers and the animals.

Cons

Steve, the owner, would take tips from us! He would also trim down our hours every week. He is horrible man who pretends to be nice but definitely talks behind your backs about anything. He loves to complain.

Advice to Management

Steve - Stop taking our tips if all you do is nothing but talk to clients about nothing and just do vans. You're never in the yards cleaning up poop. Stop being such a predictable horrible human being and learn from Omar.

2. Camp Bow Wow employee

Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Camp Bow Wow part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to be indoors and outdoors, which was a big plus for me. The starting pay is really great, and, well, the obvious one, you pretty much get paid to play with dogs.

Cons

My only issue is that my car currently crapped out in me, and although I've been able to get to work and on time (I only had to call out once because of my car) my manager seems skeptical about keeping me. And when I started, I felt like a burden when I had to ask a question about something I was unsure of because of the sort of attitude I receive...

3. Great place for dogs not employees

I worked at Camp Bow Wow full-time

Pros

Looking for a place for your dog to be treated the best, camp bow wow is by far the best. Dogs get top notch service love and attention! Bring your dog here to board or for daycare it's the best!

Cons

They treat the employees not as well. Low pay for the work the management expects and you are being micro managed 24/7. They also have serious trust issues which can cause multiple issues. Employees seem to not last long and it's not because of the dogs or the hours so the pay and management would seem to be the issue as it was for me

Advice to Management

If you haven't either up the pay for the people who have been there awhile or don't expect people to do a $20 and hour job for $8.75 or whatever an hour it makes the job not fun to be at when really it's a great job

5. Good Environment

I have been working at Camp Bow Wow

Pros

The animals and staff are great and make coming to work a pleasure.

Cons

Hours are never full time and the pay isn't worth it if you are looking to support yourself. Good for students.

Camp Counselor. Average Kennel wage. Great owner, but lazy co-workers.

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Charleston, SC

I worked at Camp Bow Wow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can bring your dog with you for free every/any shift. Free baths for your dog(s). Amazingly nice store owner. Very nice Marketing Manager. Average Kennel Technician pay rate/wage. For this area/region the wage was $9/hour, I have previous Kennel Tech experience, not sure if all employees got the same wage. Free Camp Bow Wow work shirts and hooded jacket. 3 outdoor play yards with bone shaped swimming pools & green plastic platforms, and 3 indoor play yards. All yards have gates that connect to each other, so we were able to make 4 yards as 1 larger size yard. Free parking. Plenty of work to keep busy. Giant size dog cabins w/dog beds in all of them. Beautiful and peaceful forest surrounding the building for at least 13 miles.

Cons

Really inexperienced, lazy co-workers who sat and played on their smartphones all day and night long, they only looked at the dogs if they heard growling and then they would spray water at the dogs. They hired mostly (95%) female employees so being a male worker there felt really awkward and no one to talk to, meanwhile all the female co-workers would hang out together in the break room all the time and not even watch the dogs. Mandatory split-shifts on weekends. Long distance from any other stores (13 miles of forest between Camp Bow Wow and the closest other businesses, 15 miles away from the closest business to get food for lunch during the weekend split-shifts. No paid breaks. Hard concrete floors and all rock outdoor yards, not very comfortable for the dogs to sit and lay on all day and night long. Not on a bus-route, so driving to work gets expensive especially during weekend split-shifts.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced employees who are dedicated to animal care...Experience can be attained from volunteering at an Animal Shelter, pass that info to no-experience wanna-be Kennel Techs before hiring them! Get rid of the lazy employees. Ban cell phone usage during work/shift hours. Be more understanding and flexible with scheduling weekend split-shifts. Hire 50% male and 50% female workers.

Horrible

I worked at Camp Bow Wow part-time

Pros

loved the dogs extremely clean

Cons

No break with 7 hour shift management was horrible management talked down to you overall not good people there open cause there love for pets but not employees there turn over rate is over the roof

Advice to Management

respect the staff . take a look at how you really treat employees .

Camp Manager

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Camp Bow Wow (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working with dogs and meeting lots of wonderful people.

Cons

Very low pay for a very demanding 24/7 job.

Advice to Management

Appreciate good employees a make sure you have the perks you need to keep consistency and avoid turnover within the company

9. Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at Camp Bow Wow

Pros

Awesome staff. Amazing clients. And the best campers in the world. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything! I started here when I was 15 volunteering and now I am the full-time manager for the facility! I would highly recommend anyone who loves dogs to come work here because it truly is the best job ever!

Cons

Dirty job, work hard every day, always on your feet! Very high energy and can at times be stressful.

10. This is a wonderful company to work for if you love dogs, love caring for them and want to work hard!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Camp Bow Wow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interact with the dogs all day, hands on experience working with dogs can be a foot in to many other areas of the animal industry. Bring your dogs to work free.

Cons

Very hard work, lots and lots of cleaning, dirty every day with fur and slobber!

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to move up within the company.

11. Camp Counselor

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Camp Bow Wow part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding and you get the play with dogs all day.

Cons

Very early work hours. Can be very messy.

RSS Feed </> Embed