Camp Ozark Reviews

3.9

Sam & Susan Torn

Wonderful place

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, lots of fun

Cons

Cliquey environment and getting too large

Not perfect, but a great summer job

Former Employee - Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was exhausting, but it was all worth it. The impact you can have on a kid is incredible. It's a rare opportunity to get to work with kids in such a fun environment. It is truly one-of-a-kind.

Cons

I thought they could have done a better job of encouraging and caring for the counselors. There were times when we felt like mere labor.

Fantastic

I worked at Camp Ozark

Pros

Great opportunity to invest in lives of children and be challenged and encouraged spiritually. It's an absolute blast. Highly recommend.

Cons

You will be tired and hot almost all summer. Your have to love kids and love Jesus. Be fully committed and it will be well worth your investment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissappointed in almost every way. Find another camp to work at.

Former Employee - Media Team - Staff  in  Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Media Team - Staff in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros: Being around kids is awesome. I made one best friend I'll have for life and I grew closer to Jesus in my alone time.

Cons

Cons: This camp is much more like a business than a Christian camp. The management is awful. They choose favorites based off of who they know. My boss was rude and judgemental of me, admitting early on that he negatively judged me before getting to know me. Every time he pulled me aside to talk about anything, he almost always made me cry. I always did my job and what my boss told me and he would pull me aside and tell me that I was giving him minimum effort with no examples of why he felt that. The CEOs will tell you all summer that they dont care about how you feel, its only about the kids. Which is understandable to an extent, but to them they are paying you so they dont care about any problems you have. They even tell you "Sometimes you have to do things in life you don't enjoy." referring to working there. That's not something I want my boss to tell me about my job. They also make it near impossible to leave and they called people cowards for quitting without telling anyone. The main CEO also almost never seems happy which doesn't make sense for being a Christian running a kids camp. So many times I felt unloved working at this place. Also the time you get off is ridiculous in comparison to how much you work. You get lunch off once a week I think and get one full day off every two weeks. The health center is also awful. They aren't very helpful and if you are sick for any reason and they make you stay in the health center, they count that as your time off. They also give you no access to the outside world while you are at camp except for letters and they take your phones away (something no one tells you until you get there). Basically, you work really hard for a camp where a lot of people high up don't act or love the way Christians should, they treat you like slaves because of your contract instead of people and the pay and conditions are awful. Most people view this camp through rose colored glasses because the camp has brainwashed them to believe they are being treated the way the Bible says they should and/or because they make friends they want to go back and see. By the middle of that summer, my friends and all of the media team were sure they'd never come back and refused to refer their friends during a lunch when asked to. By the way, I worked at a camp before Camp Ozark and the retention rate of the counselors (who were volunteering) was over 90%. The retention rate of counselors that work at Camp Ozark is like 10% or less. If I could go back in time I would have quit during the first session and gone to work at a different camp that wants everyone to feel God's love.

Fire most of your management and get people who are passionate about loving everyone including the staff you hire.

Very Rewarding, Hard Work

Former Employee - Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Very Rewarding experience working with kids
    - You feel like you have a purpose
    - Great Staff and make lots of friends

Cons

- Permanent Staff don't really care about counselors, as they come and go each summer so they don't feel a need to connect
    -They don't tell you about SWAT until you get there and once you're on it it's as if you don't exist

You should pay everyone on SWAT double. To do that kind of work you can earn much more outside of a camp environment. People will accept low pay if there are other benefits like having fun and working with kids. But when you are working 12 hours per day cleaning toilets and doing physical labor $1.25 an hour really isn't worth it. Also the health staff won't care about if you get sick so don't!

Rewarding

Current Employee - Counselor  in  Mount Ida, AR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Mount Ida, AR

I have been working at Camp Ozark full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a great opportunity for a summer job. It pushes you to the limit mentally, physically, and spiritually but it is all worth it. You get to invest in so many kid's lives and make a ton of great friends with the other counselors from all over the country.

Cons

It's not so much a con, but Ozark is an extremely demanding job. You may not get to be a counselor for your desired age group of kids, but you have to do it anyways. Sometimes your kids are a pain, but you have to love them anyways. Don't do this if you are not willing to give your full commitment.

Always listen to the counselors and be willing to work with them and help them out.

Great Opportunity, Could Use Better Health Services

I worked at Camp Ozark

Pros

Great people, fun job, meaningful work

Cons

health staff was very poor

improve the health staff

It was a great place to work and grow.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mount Ida, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Ida, AR

I worked at Camp Ozark

Pros

The upper staff are all energetic and have good leadership/management skills. The camp program is well organized and executed. It was a lot of fun and there is a great opportunity to make friends with other counselors.

Cons

The experience is much more rewarding than the pay. The days are fun, but you need to have very high energy to be able to keep up with everything.

They are doing a really great job at recruiting good counselors. Everything is very well organized, but it is also understandably somewhat difficult to implement changes.

Good

I worked at Camp Ozark

Pros

Alot of very fun people work there who love Jesus alot.

Cons

The management is kinda messed up at times. When I was there, a few years back, there was no sense of servant leadership... which is crazy in a Christian camp. With the exception of a couple guys a little higher up, Most people in power positions seemed to use that power to do what they wanted- and most counselors knew it

Camp Ozark is a great place to work, it's rewarding for the correct reasons.

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Camp Ozark

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to network with other individuals. Exciting, dynamic workplace. No two days will be the same, and no two weeks will feel the same.

Cons

Management tends to pick favorites. Still it seems like the best people for the job float to the top, just sometimes people who aren't the best float to the top with them.

Worked for Camp Ozark? Contribute to the Community!