Campbell Alliance

Consulting Services

Consultant (Former Employee)
Newtown, PA

I worked at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWonderful people, many have 10+ years, loyal employer, flexible work environment

ConsGreat first job, but not much chance for upward mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a career path for your employees

Consulting at Campbell Alliance - How it really is

Director (Principal) (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere was a great deal of highly skilled and smart, entrepreneural people who drove business successfully over more than a decade. That culture attracted a lot of good people and let the business soar - in the past...

ConsCampbell lost some 30% of its worksforce due to the integration into InVentiv Health. The company has changed completely, now being driven by process compliance focussed managers who lost sight of how to drive business - consequently the business shrank by more than 30% in last 12 months with increasing speed as many of the good people are leaving... European senior management in particular acts without clear vision and strategy to return to growth and keeping their talents onboard

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employes with respect and stop acting dishonorable on the financial and tax side. Meet the minimum standards of employment laws in ex-US countries and professionalize business conduct outside the US

Need to go back to what established them as a leading firm.

I worked at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are still some good people there, hanging on, particularly in the infra-structure and in the Pharmaceutical Institute. Benefits are still good, but gradually eroding.

ConsIT has been outsourced to India, producing many technology-related problems, and longer delays in fixing even simple requests. What was an innovative system of deeply specialized Practice Areas that were able to work together has become a mish-mash of "centers of excellence" which, due to under staffing, don't live up to their names.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the Practice Area concept which inspired the company during the hey day of John Campbell. Otherwise, just fold the business fully into inVentiv and take the name off the doors.

Meh.

Internal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are people within the company that are good to work with if you happen to have a position to work immediately with them.

ConsCampbell is not what it used to be. All of the previous perks and incentives have disappeared. With inVentive now in charge, I don't feel optimistic about continued growth or opportunity.

Great training ground

I have been working at Campbell Alliance full-time

ProsGreat exposure to different clients and project areas
Excellent way to meet industry contacts and learn the business

ConsNo investment in long term growth
Horrible hours
High turnover
No professional development

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest as much in keeping talent as you invest in recruiting

Challenging environment where hard work is rewarded

Senior Engagement Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCampbell is focusing more on strategic work, and is winning projects over the big strategy shops.
There is very little travel requiremed, which is a very big plus for achieving a decent work-life balance.
There is the potential for more rapid career trajectory as compared to other consulting firms.
Consultants have the ability to get broad exposure within just the life sciences.

ConsThe shift in corporate direction has led to understandable challenges at all levels of the organization.
There has been higher than average turnover for a short period (which has now stabilized).
Bonus structure is a complete mess at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more cross-collaboration with the broader inVentiv organization. We should be able to see who is working in which clients, and what they're working on.

What happened to the Campbell we all knew and loved

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome truly great people still call Campbell Alliance home, although more and more those people are either moving over to inVentiv proper, being forced out, or seeking greener pastures. The really sad thing is that five years ago, and under totally different leadership, this was hands down the best company I had ever worked for.

ConsSince the acquisition the company has lost focus on what made it great.... it's employees. With several key players leaving once the writing on the wall came into focus it's been nothing but a downhill slide. With IT already being outsourced overseas with little or no consideration given to the impact on productivity or the people involved there is a genuine feeling of "who's next" in the remaining internal departments. Add the lost productivity due to inadequate tech support, increased "guidance" from inVentiv proper, and a downsizing of the former HQ in Raleigh to a lesser office space, and you've got to think it's only a matter of time before Campbell as we once knew it is all but gone. Those of us who remember the good times will always cherish those memories and the people we shared them with, but we'll also be trying really hard to forget how the story is ending!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat made Campbell Alliance different was it's approach to empowering and rewarding it's team members. This is NOT a tradition that inVentiv appears comiitted or even interested in continuing, nor it is one that Campbell leadership seems to be prepared to fight to maintain. The only prudent advice for management would be to take every action possible to prove to the team that they ARE working in their best interests and are capable of ensuring a positive working environment. Right now management comes across as looking out for their own well being, and that my friends is NOT the Campbell vision!

Acquisitions are always hard

I worked at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Raleigh office is like a small company/family, and is a joy to work with. Consultants, though overworked, mostly appreciate the work internal teams complete for them.

ConsAcquisitions and reorganizations always result in too much work for too few people to complete without it affecting service level. This is true no matter the company.

The ship is sailing in the wrong direction!!! Where's the captain?!?!

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Campbell Alliance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to accelerate your career. Free snacks and drinks (even though this is slowly being reduced). Very modern building and quality floor plan to work in (talks of switching floors and condensing layout), and nice location (Brier Creek) - great access to almost everything you need in-between hours and down time. Generally fun people to work with, very diverse crowd. Compensation is slightly above average when compared to the market (but is becoming less rewarding, especially with bonuses). Small traces of good senior leadership and management still left.

ConsCampbell set too high of expectations and was purchased by a company that doesn't share a common vision or similar culture. This in turn, led to Campbell's decline (still on the decline). Slowly being chipped away by parent company to be transformed into more of a sweatshop, then the creative and innovative workplace it once was. Past and present leadership (along with parent company) made horrible decisions and steered the company in the wrong direction - costed the company tons of lost revenue, fleeing of top sales leaders (to be replaced with managers, not sales-minded individuals), mass exodus of industry respected staff members (especially among the consulting ranks), wasted resources, anemic morale, and lack of identity.

The work can be rewarding, but the expectations is everyone should act like they're senior management and should work 10-12 hours a day (but without the compensation of course)! Many wasted hours on unnecessary meetings (there's no reason to have weekly or twice a week updates unless it's a top priority and or quick burn project). Speaking of top priority, not every project is top priority, so please allow for team members, themselves, to appropriate their time accordingly. Tons of work is constantly duplicated because Senior Leadership's indecisiveness on what they want the final deliverable to look like. Poor communication from parent company and Campbell's top-down management.

Campbell is in a rebuilding stage at the moment, and it will take some time before it can even rebound to solid levels. Still can be a good company to work for, but the bleeding hasn't stopped just yet. It will many years (if that, depending on the controlling hand of the parent company) before Campbell recovers to what it once was.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made this company great. Allow workers to be creative, and not just a templatized robot. Communicate the truth with your employee (good or bad) and they will respect you more. Allow consultants to take on more of an adviser role then just outsourced administration. Consulting firms are industry respected advisers, not staffing agencies! Keep parent company in check and try resurrecting the old Campbell Alliance persona.

Very dysfunctional company

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Campbell Alliance full-time

ProsSome of the RGMs are good people. I think some of the people are good, but management and the parent company are purely focused on the numbers and not at all focused on the people.

ConsA company that has no identity. Treats its employees with no heart and compassion. If you are looking to work hard and be appreciated for it, look elsewhere

When you are interviewed you may be told certain things about the strength/stability of the company. Take care to make sure these are actual truths and not just sales-talk to get you in.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some heart and soul. These are the basics of building a business and keeping employees feeling loyal to growing it.

Worked for Campbell Alliance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Campbell Alliance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Campbell Alliance CEO Darius Naigamwalla. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Campbell Alliance employees.